Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ar build What's out there?

Boolit Buddy

Ar build What's out there?

I am building yet another Black rifle.

What calibers are out there for the standard AR-15 lower?

I have a dedicated .22RF
    556/223
    and 300 BLKOUT.

I really wanted a 243 but I am not going to go AR-10 since I already have the lowers and a ton of parts for the 15 platform.

Then I was going to go with the 22-250 but OLY won't sell just the barrel or upper and want 1500 and change for a complete gun I don't need.

I'm really kick'n myself hard for missing the 458 SOCOM 7 inch upper that was for sale here a few weeks ago. ( one lower I have is a SBR)

I'm really leaning towards the 6.5 grendel

Anyone got a AR in something else besides what I listed that I already have?
    and if so how do you like it?

Been reading about all the non 5.56/223 stuff for them and like I said the 6.5 seems to be peaking my interest.
    Since like the BLKOUT I can form my own brass and only need a barrel and bolt to make it happen ( well a .264/6.4 boolit mold too)
    And that's the other reason I like it.
    Reports I'm reading say it shoots cast equally as well as J's

So What ya 'll think'n?
    Am I daft?
    Is there something I'm missing with the 204 ruger or 243 WSSM?\
    Or another Cal that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance......

Rich

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I am building yet another Black rifle.

What calibers are out there for the standard AR-15 lower?

I have a dedicated .22RF
    556/223
    and 300 BLKOUT.

I really wanted a 243 but I am not going to go AR-10 since I already have the lowers and a ton of parts for the 15 platform.

Then I was going to go with the 22-250 but OLY won't sell just the barrel or upper and want 1500 and change for a complete gun I don't need.

I'm really kick'n myself hard for missing the 458 SOCOM 7 inch upper that was for sale here a few weeks ago. ( one lower I have is a SBR)

I'm really leaning towards the 6.5 grendel

Anyone got a AR in something else besides what I listed that I already have?
    and if so how do you like it?

Been reading about all the non 5.56/223 stuff for them and like I said the 6.5 seems to be peaking my interest.
    Since like the BLKOUT I can form my own brass and only need a barrel and bolt to make it happen ( well a .264/6.4 boolit mold too)
    And that's the other reason I like it.
    Reports I'm reading say it shoots cast equally as well as J's

So What ya 'll think'n?
    Am I daft?
    Is there something I'm missing with the 204 ruger or 243 WSSM?\
    Or another Cal that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance......

Rich
    Go wildcat, .277 Wolverine is what I am building but there are a few others out there that are well into development which only require a barrel swap.

http://mdws.forumchitchat.com/categories

Read up on some and pick one to play with.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    6.5 is next on my personal list for an ar but nowhere near the top.

Boolit Grand Master

I would go w/ 458 SoCom of 50 Beowulf. Both are proven big bore thumpers. I personally don't want any of the wildcats that require proprietary mags. That leaves out 7.62x40WT and a host of others. The only wildcat that I'm sort of following is the 358 Yeti. Barrel swaps only are what interests me. And a 35cal that meets that requirement would be perfect.

Boolit Grand Master

Get a block and build a 9mm.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Root, answer this question to yourself first..... before you build it. How easily can I sell it and not lose my arze? Then Let conscience be your guide. My opinion? me? I have an AR. If the dog poop were to ever hit the fan blades..... I do not want to sort ammo, mags and ballistic data.

Boolit Grand Master

My next is going to be a 204 Ruger. Did a couple of varmint rifles for friends. Since I have the reamer it will only cost me a barrel blank. For prairie dogs through coyotes the 204 give you 100 to 150 yards than the 223. Both of them shot like bench rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Keep 'm coming.
    Not interested in a wildcat either.
    that was what kept me from the 300 wisper. once they standardized to the 300 blkout I was in.

and that is why I don't even consider the 6.8spc from what I have read on it not only do I need different mags but right now there are 4 different chambers/shoulder angles floating around for it. Kinda like the 300 wisper was back in the 90's.

I'm willing to go as far as a bolt swap and barrel.

Like I said I am kicking myself for not seeing that 458 7 inch upper until after it was sold.

As far as the SHTF ???
    I'm not to worried about that. Resupply would be what you have on hand at the time and the ability to reload with what you have on the shelf. There won't be any running down to the LGS for more "stuff" besides I've watched 8lb powder kegs disappear off the net inside of the last 4 days. We are nowhere near the election yet.

If it did go south, I wouldn't be out looking for trouble anyways. We are bugging in, not out. Anyone that poked their head in the house would be looking at a original transferable 1972 Ingram MAC 10 and old Skewl sionics two stage.
    we have the "going south" thing covered as best we can with 12 tax stamps.
    There won't be anything to to with that type of setting but ride it out and hope for the best.
    And we sure won't be playing "Batman in the boondocks"

I plan on building two of the 3 into 556/223 but wanted another in something different.
    Preferably something that I can attach one of my suppressors to.

And that does kinda leave out the 458 and 50 well anything over 30 cal really.
    But as I said I would have bought that 458 7 inch upper as it was less then 1/2 price. and that savings would have transferred into a F1 for a can for it, and still been WAY below current "new" value of that upper.

Also want to do the standard 20 inch fixed stock retro look with one. ( something that would pass for a prop in FMJ)
    And a 16 incher in 556/223

So that leaves one lower that I want something different in.
    It makes a total of 6 AR's. Three 556/223 one 300 BLKOUT, one .22rf.

and one ????? TBD!
    That's what brought up the question to start!

Was wondering what ya'll are shooting and how ya like it, since I can't seem to find my 1st choice of 22-250 without buying the whole gun.

Rich

Boolit Buddy
    If you reload there is always the 25/223. Or the 25 sharps. I prefer the 25/223 as we have slayed a lot of deer, hogs, and a few coyote as well. Loading is as easy as trimming regular 223 brass and resizing the neck to 25 caliber. The advantage over the Sharps is a bigger selection of heavier bullets. Building one now.

Boolit Master
    Out of all of the calibers I have chambered in ARs "5.56,300 BO, 6.5 Grendel, 50 beo, 9mm, and .22lr" the 9mm is about as fun as it gets for cheap shooting. For accuracy the 6.5 cant be beat, and the 50 beo has made grown airborne rangers in the family laugh at the bruising it left. Why settle for only one calibre? Get a thumper, a 6.5, and a 9mm. Those three really round out a collection if you already have the 300BO, and 5.56.

Boolit Master
    6MM, 6.5MM and 7MM TCU are all based on the 223 case and dies are readily available. and you do not need special mags.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not going to go with a 9mm as I have a FS UZI a MINIUZI and a a few handguns to go with my SWR octane 9.

And if I do it's going to be that beltfed upper in 6 inches for my SBR with the quick change barrel.

The 6.5 Grendel is out after spending the morning at work reading about it.
    I would also need MAGS along with the bolt and barrel.

I contacted SSK to see about his 6.5 MPC as it's only a barrel mags and bolt are the same just like the 300 BLKOUT.

I'm also revisiting the 22-250 I've read alot where you can request a standard lower that takes standard mags from Oly.
    So if it's just a barrel swap. I'll get a blank and chamber reamer.

I own a darn nice lathe ( Atlas T42) that I bought here a few years ago from a member in S&S forum.

I'll ream and profile it myself if it's just a barrel swap. ( it's looking like that) but Oly is trying to corner the market like SSK is with the 6.5 MPC.
    And that is NO WAY to get your Cal. to "take off" pun intended.

So I'm waiting to hear from SSK and am now back to seeing what is involved in the 22-250 setup.

Seems I may have narrowed it down to those two.
    It's ashame about the 6.5 grendel. There isn't anyone that's had success converting mags.
    I'm not going to buy different mags for a AR. That right there defeats the whole Idea of the AR platform to me.

Rich

Boolit Master
    if you are looking at the 6.5 mpc why not take a look at the 6.5 pcc? barrels and dies are already available.

Boolit Master

My hunting AR is in 6.8 SPC SpecII. Love the cartridge, don't shoot it much since I now have a 300 and a can.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    if you are looking at the 6.5 mpc why not take a look at the 6.5 pcc? barrels and dies are already available.
    I started looking at that one last night the 6.5 PCC
    So far it's winning once SSk sent me a price on just a barrel.

Not going to bash the guy but I'm NOT spending what he wants for just a barrel for the 6.5 mpc.

I can get the barrel and dies from Illirian Engineering & Design for well under the cost for just SSK's barrel alone.

This leaves me loot for J's and a mold or two.

Not to mention there is something skewed about the data of the MPC round.
    It's not stacking up to the load data SSK sent compared to real world shooter results.

I'm gonna shoot for the 6.5 PCC in a 20 inch barrel

Well so far still doing the research but right now it's a go on the PCC since it's just the barrel swap.
    And like my 300 BO that's my objective. nothing but a barrel swap everything else is recyclable.

Rich

Boolit Bub
    Not sure what you read about the Grendel. mags may be a small setback, but brother can the darn things shoot. also you can neck down 7.62x39 cases if needs be. I was in your dilemma last year and built 9mm,300BO, 7.62x39,6.5 Grendel, 458 socom and a ar-308. sold the 458 upper, worked well excellent accuracy bad bruising that made me flinch after 20 rounds. The Grendel with the Saturn barrel started out sub moa and keeps getting tighter.

Boolit Master

Got 2 6.5G AR-15 uppers.
    One's a type 1 Satern barrel with matching maxim bolt (from a group buy)
    The other's a type 2 (7.62x39 BCG) with 264 LBC Spinta barrel
    Both shoots sub-moa if I do my part.

Boolit Buddy
    I went with the 6.8 spec.II it has amazing amounts of thump on deer and hogs. The speer 90gr. gold dot gets 2990 from a 16" carbine. I have 5 9mm but they will never be as reliable as the gas operated AR 15. They are all great guns.

I built a 17 Remington, 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blackout with Shilen barrels 7.62x39 with a Yankee Hill Machining barrel 6.8 SPC, 223 Wylde DPMS barrel and receiver and 2 Armalite receivers I built and of course I would have a Armalite AR-10T in 308. All of them will shot one hole at 100 yards. Future plans to build a 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 SAUM, 224 valkyrie and what ever that might catch my eye

Didn't think the center feed 22-250 mags would fit in a standard magwell? You can get the 22-250 bolt and extension from OLY http://www.olyarms.com/shop/diy-wors...250-parts.html for non center feed a standard carrier will work. I used the bolt/extension for a 44x1.8" AR15 build which matches what my 444 marlin does with a longer barrel. OLY also has the magnum extensions and BCG listed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roundlugs.JPG   44x1.8AR15barrel7.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast