MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Jake70...Grip-maker Extraordinaire....Rams Horn 1911

Jake70...Grip-maker Extraordinaire....Rams Horn 1911

Jake70 has offered for sale, some mity-fine looking wood grips here on this forum, but, wood wasn't my cup-O-tea. Jake offered up Rams Horn for my lil Colt and thought it would satisfy my taste. I've wanted Stag for a long time, but can't afford that, now I'm glad I couldn't.
    Look at Jakes work...I'm terrible shooting pic's but heres a look as close as I can get them to show the actual color.
    His service was fast, courteous and his exceptional craftsmanship has me ordering a set for the Hi-Power also.

If you have grips by Jake70...feel free to post pics on this thread also, we can make him an album of his work. We can keep that ole Boy busy and spend our money right here in the family!

Attachment 171282Attachment 171281

Thank You Jake70...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    fit and finish look good, and a handsome gun to boot. Nice work Jake70

Boolit Master

Awesome job
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Moderator Emeritus

Very nicely done, and good choice of grip material, IMO. That's a nice, "soft" look for a very hard shootin' gun!

He is making me a pair out of some guayacan wood I sent him. If all goes well, they will go in the mail tomorrow. I will post some pics here when they land.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the kind words fellas.

The guayacan grips came in and here they are on my Norinco 1911A1. I like them allot. Thanks Jake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1237.jpg   IMG_1236.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Looking good! Now for a Texas request~! What kind of wood do you need for these grips? My knife set I had made with tempered/aged pecan wood that is used for knife blanks and resin impregnated. Would it be possible to make a pecan wood set of grips?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The guayacan grips came in and here they are on my Norinco 1911A1. I like them allot. Thanks Jake.
    No problem at all. I'm glad you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Looking good! Now for a Texas request~! What kind of wood do you need for these grips? My knife set I had made with tempered/aged pecan wood that is used for knife blanks and resin impregnated. Would it be possible to make a pecan wood set of grips?
    IIRC, pecan is decently hard, so they would work. I'll sent you a PM.

Boolit Master

I would have thought that a Texan would want a set of grips out of Mesquite, or Bodark.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I would have thought that a Texan would want a set of grips out of Mesquite, or Bodark.
    To each their own, I grew up with both grandparents owning pecan trees and associate that with "home." Mesquite is decent but too thorny and bitter for my bbq tastes. No bodark trees on our properties or nearby. I do have some oaks that would work but those seem a dime a dozen.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I would like a set made from Mesquite for my Rock island. Any chance of getting a small star inlayed ?

My first thought was pecan because I've got a couple that I have grown not big enough for getting wood from them,but they are really loaded with pecans again this year,I've still got a couple hundred pounds of last years to eat.
    Mesquite brings back some very good memories for me.It may be to hard to work with?????? Hey Jake you reading this thread?
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 07-17-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    I would like a set made from Mesquite for my Rock island. Any chance of getting a small star inlayed ?

My first thought was pecan because I've got a couple that I have grown not big enough for getting wood from them,but they are really loaded with pecans again this year,I've still got a couple hundred pounds of last years to eat.
    Mesquite brings back some very good memories for me.It may be to hard to work with?????? Hey Jake you reading this thread?
    An inlayed star might be interesting. There's several ways to do it, but any way would be a good challenge.

Boolit Buddy
    Jake Please send me a PM... I want your help w a pair of Mammoth Ivory grips I'm making for a 1911..I have the material needed....Mike In Ct

Texans do love mesquite grips and I have several pair. Here is my favorite pair. Quite lovely and serviceable grips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg   Norinco 1.jpg  

Jake 70, Nice work on the grips.
    I'll have to keep you in mind when I need some more grips do you do any round butt K frames by chance.
    Thank you

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Regulator. View Post
    Jake 70, Nice work on the grips.
    I'll have to keep you in mind when I need some more grips do you do any round butt K frames by chance.
    Thank you
    Thank You.

I have not made any K frame grips before, but I can usually copy a set of grips if they're not overly complicated.

Good to know Sir
    Thank you for your quick reply.