MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Bullseye for .221 Fireball & 22 Hornet

Boolit Master

Bullseye for .221 Fireball & 22 Hornet

Getting ready to load up some cast in these calibers have some Bullseye and thinking it might be very good for light loads using small pistol primers. Any suggestions/comments would be most welcome.

Thanks

Boolit Master

I don't see why you couldn't use it as long as you keep velocities down. The Lyman cast bullet hand book shows Red Dot loads in the 2-3 gr. range in the Hornet. RD and BE are very very close in burn rate with 2 gr. loads around 1200 fps.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

I have found 1.5 to 2.0 grains of Bullseye to be a very good squirrel load in the Hornet. At 25 yards (realistic squirrel distance) it is ine hole accurate with the NOE 45 grain WFN, Lee Bator or 225438. The NOE bullet is particularly good.

The sonic level seems to be somewhere in between. 1.5 grains if very quiet. The 2 grain loads makes a very audible crack, but still pretty mild.

Boolit Master

http://www.accuratereloading.com/221rfb.html
    This fellow did some loads for 221 Fireball including with Bullseye. Its about 15 years old.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Thanks, exactly what I was hoping for.

Boolit Master
    Just be careful of those tiny loads. It is real easy to make a mistake. As much as my T/C Contender .222 loves a Bullseye load, I use a RE-7 load even if it isn't as good (but close). Just me being old and paranoid with well used erasers on all my pencils.

Banned

Billy has a good point.
    the first time I put 4 grs of red-dot in a 223 case I didn't think any was in there.

Boolit Master
    I haven't used Bullseye in the hornet or 221 but I have used it in the 218 Bee. 2.5grs with the NOE 225107 37 gr. boolit is a great load for small game. Velocity is 1300 fps. Accuracy is 1 inch at 65yards 5 shots using my T/C Encore with a MGM 22 inch barrel.

Boolit Master
    Thank you TCFAN. Your loads are about a penny in powder, three cents in a primer and almost nothing in lead. As cheap as a 22 LR, a lot more fun and allowing time with a centerfire rifle (CZ 527 American in 221) to get comfortable with it. Roughly 1300 fps and an inch at 65 yards would do just about everything I want to do. Of course there are also jacketed to send screaming downrange if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    Thank you TCFAN. Your loads are about a penny in powder, three cents in a primer and almost nothing in lead. As cheap as a 22 LR, a lot more fun and allowing time with a centerfire rifle (CZ 527 American in 221) to get comfortable with it. Roughly 1300 fps and an inch at 65 yards would do just about everything I want to do. Of course there are also jacketed to send screaming downrange if desired.
    Nice rifle. I own one in 221 as well.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't use it as long as you keep velocities down. The Lyman cast bullet hand book shows Red Dot loads in the 2-3 gr. range in the Hornet. RD and BE are very very close in burn rate with 2 gr. loads around 1200 fps.
    I have been "experimenting with Red Dot & NOE225107 in a 1:16 twist, .223 grove dia CZ-527. Results have been mediocre at best. I tried it because I have some, but will be looking for a different powder for my next chapter with this rifle/boolit combination!

Boolit Buddy
    If powder density is of a concern Trail Boss is great in the .221. I have been running 3.4 gr of TB behind the NOE 22-45. It makes a good crack, have no idea on the speed but it will ruin a tree rat's day. BE and 700X are also good options for 22 cal loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I use small pistol primers in all of my Hornet loads and the Lee factory crimp die. Sure helps make things more consistent. YMMV.