Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unsociable

Boolit Master
    My comment is rethink not locking doors front and back. At home I keep a .380 Ruger in my pocket or continue to wear a Smith j frame .38 in a holster. Both are so lightweight that they offer no discomfort. If I don't know you, I don't open the door. Although I was once big and strong, arthritis has changed everything. There was a time when many would have thought twice about jumping me, but those days are past.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have always lived in places I didn't feel the need to lock the doors, heck family and friends have keys just incase they are locked anyway.
    BUT I have worked in some pretty seedy places. Back in the 80's I was on a job in Baytown, a couple of other hands and I rented a cheap second story apartment in a not so good neighborhood to stay in during the week. I stayed there over the weekend to do some maintenence, and for some reason was also babysitting a friends pit bull. Someone knocks on the door at 2 am. I don't have many friends around that I would expect to be there, so I answer the door with my cap on, my tidy whiteys and a 44 in my hand. It is a black dude in a trench coat full of pockets on the inside selling jewelry, watches etc, he explained I would have to order bigger items like TV's and such. I hadn't turned any lights on, but invited him in and just went back in my bedroom and closed the door. A few minutes later he called out Mistuh, come get this dog. I told him to shut up and leave my dog alone, I was trying to sleep. At 6 am or so I got up and got dressed, he was on his tiptoes in the corner of the living room with bigun sitting a foot or so in front of him, I called him off and told the dude to git. For some reason he was the only unwanted visitor I ever had for the rest of my stay there. lol
    Starmac, I love your technique! Most folks just don't know how to "improvise and overcome." You obviously DO! The need for a man to have a "good reputation" isn't over just YET, is it?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Is it not alright to answer the door in the USA.
    I don't answer the door if not expecting anyone. Door is double-locked all the time,even when I am at home or working in the yard. I carry at home. All the time. Riot gun is cruiser-ready and accessible near front door.

When I lived in the DC suburbs a Vietnamese neighbor was murdered in a home invasion robbery. Dirt bags in rental house nearby often transposed nu9mbers in newspaper and Craig's List ads and strangers often knocked on my door, or that of neighbor who was killed.

Best advice I can give is DON'T OPEN THE STINKIN' DOOR. KEEP IT LOCKED, CARRY ALL THE TIME!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I live on a golf course in Titusville Florida, Winter home of the Canadian PGA, Royal Oak Country Club. Home was invaded twice. First time was a cat burglar, came an went without being detected until morning when the wife's wallet was missing, it was in her purse handing on a dining room chair. We installed a security system, then the second time while we were at a big fair in town. The security system was not the kind that calls the cops. Neither time being armed helped.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Few years ago there had been reports of someone walking in on people to rob them in our area. At the time my wife's brother was staying with us and and works with the DOC, at the time he was a guard and had just came home from work and was in the kitchen still in uniform when some guy walks in the front door. My wife asked what he wanted and he replied that he was looking for the party or some thing like that. That is when her brother stepped into the room and I think the guy mite have pooped a little. Said he thinks he had the wrong house and took off.

He called in to the PD and reported it and told them that we had guns in the house and could use them if need be. That was when he told us that he had to give us the "talk". I turns out that some times some of their customers will have friends on the out side look up family members and stop by to visit. So now we keep two .357's in different rooms and a 18.5 inch 870 in the bed room. It has been almost twenty tears and nothing has ever happened but I still keep the guns where thy are. He also gave us a can of the pepper spray thy use. Said it was better then the stuff we can buy.

Last year some one was going through cars looking for stuff and stopped by our house one night, I was at work and the wife said the lights were off inside and she could see some one with a flashlight out side looking in the car so she got her gun and turned on the light opened the door so he could see the gun and asked what he was looking for. She said he took off like his butt was on fire. Thinking it mite have been some local kid, must of made him think again about what he was doing because we didn't hear about any car break in's for a long time.

p.s. the guy who walked in on us got caught a few weeks later.

Boolit Master
    We get allsorts knocking at our front Door, Jehovas witnesses, Double glazing salesmen,Gardeners etc,I usualy approach from the back of the house and appear behind them,one or two jump out of their skin when I speak from behind.I must admit to having a few strategic placed items within easy reach but in the main this is,nt a crime pattern where I live.Fingers crossed.

Boolit Mold
    I open carry, every day, all day. We live about 40 miles north of the Mexican border, and from time to time have unwanted guests aproach the gate and make known their wants and needs, to which the answer is always "NO" and a phone call to the border patrol.

There has been a lot of illeagal related crime, often violent, here, over the years, but we like being 50 miles from the nearest stoplight in one direction, more like 100 miles in any other direction. The solatude is ample compensation for the risk.

Have not had to shoot anybody, but HAVE made it clear to a few that I was more than willing. I also find that there is no advantage at all to having those around you be entirely sure of your sanity. Re-enforces property boundries to leave them a bit in doubt....Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I quoted Michigan law because bedbugbilly appears to be in Michigan during the summer and I was addressing the event he shared. The OP appears to be in Texas and I'm not sure what Texas law is concerning brandishing but I'm willing to bet he didn't violate the law either. Having a gun at the ready is far different than pointing a gun at someone.

There's a difference between arming yourself and brandishing; particularly at your house.

I tend to agree with the practice of discretely arming yourself so that you are prepared if the need to defend yourself arises but you don't display a weapon in the initial encounter.
    I also think it is better to be polite but firm at first until you can grasp the situation. Not every encounter is founded in malicious intent.
    Texas has no brandishing law, but it does have a law prohibiting the display of a firearm in such a way as to cause alarm or fear. This is called "disturbing the peace". In other words, it is brandishing by another name.

Does this law apply to being on your own property? Yes, it does. It is perfectly legal to have a firearm on your property, but if you menace somebody with it, you can be in deep doo-doo.

From time to time, when the doorbell rings at night, I will answer it with a handgun in hand, but the hand will be behind my back. I am the nice polite one armed man in the neighborhood.

It is a bad idea to try and intimidate anybody with a firearm anywhere and most often illegal. If you need to pull it or point it, best do that when you are ready to shoot it. The notion that in Texas you can be an armed belligerent AH on your own property is false.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 07-07-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

He did say after sunset. While one should be mindful of their actions, the rules do change a bit after dark.

Boolit Grand Master

Display,exhibit, show, brandish, are all just different words with the same meaning when this subject is involved. Having a concealed weapon when answering the door, in less than optimal circumstances, is insurance of a positive outcome. Not having one when needed can be both foolish and perminate.
    The only time to "brandish" a gun is when you're lining up the sights in preparation to fire in self-defense. It only lasts for a second and you can always stand down if the threat reduces.
    To display in the offensive is where the rub comes in. The element of surprise is lost and not using it immediately infers doubt in its use. If you don't intend to fire, keep it hidden.
    This doesn't preclude wearing a handgun openly in a holster where legal. That's a whole other ball game, as long as its not drawn. The instant you handel it, it is brandishing and showing intent..
    Last edited by mold maker; 07-08-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    It is a bad idea to try and intimidate anybody with a firearm anywhere and most often illegal. If you need to pull it or point it, best do that when you are ready to shoot it. The notion that in Texas you can be an armed belligerent AH on your own property is false.

Correct and agreed. It is one of the reasons I don't personally open carry but I respect those that want the option.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    bedbug - I think merely arming yourself would not reach the definition of "brandishing". Pointing the gun at the person might cross that line:

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
    Act 328 of 1931

750.234e Brandishing firearm in public; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.Sec. 234e.
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not willfully and knowingly brandish a firearm in public.
    (2) Subsection (1) does not apply to either of the following:
    (a) A peace officer lawfully performing his or her duties as a peace officer.
    (b) A person lawfully acting in self-defense or defense of another under the self-defense act, 2006 PA 309, MCL 780.971 to 780.974.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Some people will make the argument that in your own home and confronting a unknown subject, it is actually a good idea to announce that you are armed. That action puts the other individual on notice that you are prepared to defend yourself and removes all question that aggressive action will be met with force. The wisdom of that tactic is debatable.
    In any event, merely displaying a firearm in your own home but not pointing it at someone; probably doesn't rise to the level of "Brandishing" a firearm.
    Brandishing is the display. Lifting a shirt to show the butt of a concealed weapon is brandishing. Displaying the shotgun at all would be brandishing, except TX law allows armed defense of property and that alone likely exempted him from a charge of brandishing. The "visitor" was likely in violation of TX law.
    In Colorado, trespass is when someone refuses to leave when ordered to leave. So in CO, unlike TX, you have no right to defend your property outside your home.

Boolit Master
    While growing up I lived in a farm and we had all sorts of unexpected and unwanted visits. Once I was chasing the cattle home, I saw a bunch of nothing-to-do-there guys in the pasture. I yelled them to get out. They laughed and threw stones at me. They were some 50 or more yards away. One stone fell just in front of my feet and I thought that was enough. I ran home and grabbed my father's .32 (I was about 14) and yelled again: won't you get the f* out of here? They throwed stones again, I drew and aimed in the middle of them, shot, and started chasing them. They went into a panic and I stopped after some 100yds and they never appeared again.

Since then, I always carried when looking for cattle and always had a knife, machete or billhook with me. When aswering the gate of the property, i had the 32 in my pocket and a machete in my hands and had no problems. In brazil you still can carry and brandish inside your property (but not in the sidewalk, for example).But those old times things were easier.

I always argued with my father's careless approach to answering the gate, and when I was home and he went, I stayed inside the house with the rifle in my hands watching what was going on.

One day, many years ago, I was ouy and my father alone, he aswered the gate and the guys asked him some gasoline. While he went to get the gasoline and turned again he was held under gun point. Thanks to God, he managed to negotiate with the guys, and they kept him under gun point for about 6 hours. They stole almost everything we had, including his 32. Thankfully, I had cached my shotgun, rifle and ammo elsewhere and they couldn't find it. Needless to say was enraged, but aleviated they did nothing physical to the old man and I gave him a sermon "I told you so"... From that day on he got more cautious and we had no direct problems, only minor stealing while we were not looking... Had a car, tools, a spare tire and some minor stuff stolen from me, but never a robbery.

I don't usually answer the door if I don't expect a visit and if I do, I always have something with me.

Boolit Master

One night not too long ago, around 9:45 pm I saw head and tail lights through the front door. It's one of those with beveled leaded glass and side lights. The lights were far brighter than if someone was just driving down the road. I picked up a revolver and went to the front door. I lifted a blind and saw a car in the circle drive and someone walking toward the front door. They immediately did an about face when and headed back to the car. Another person was in the driver's seat. I concealed the revolver and by the time I got the door unlocked and stepped onto the porch they were speeding out of the driveway. Their actions lead me to believe they were up to no good.

It's probably just as well we didn't meet face to face.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Display,exhibit, show, brandish, are all just different words with the same meaning when this subject is involved.
    Maybe where you are located, but not in Texas. For example, it has been legal to open carry a rifle or shotgun in Texas even after the occupation forces after the War of Northern Aggression forced us to no longer allow open carry of handguns. You did not need to have the rifle / shotgun in a case or on a sling. You just weren't allowed to be waving the firearm around or pointing it at someone unless you were justified from a defense standpoint. Same applied to handguns on your own property. The mere display of a firearm on your own property is not illegal -- you need to display it in a threatening manner when such a display is not legally authorized.

Boolit Grand Master

My point was, he didn't seem to understand or want to understand what I was telling him until he saw my shotgun beside my leg. I don't think he meant me any harm but I can assure you he was up to no good. I didn't point a weapon at him, I just made it clear that his continued presence was unwanted. There was no overt threat on my part, no need for one.
    I have a good working knowledge of Texas laws as they apply to this situation, the concept of escalation of force and the LE response time to my semi-rural part of Texas. I'd rather not belabor those points. My situation is most likely different from yours so your response to a similar situation may vary, for good reason. Another point is, I have a plan for this situation and I hope you'll give it some thought as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

texas doesn't sound like a peaceful place to live Sounds about a pleasant as down town Detroit!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    texas doesn't sound like a peaceful place to live Sounds about a pleasant as down town Detroit!
    shrug we put up with a lot of guff but we take care of business in a hurry. I'd try michigan if it weren't for all them damn "seasons" yall have. And what on earth is a "heater'?!?!?

All kidding aside, there is more lawlessness and criminal acts I've witnessed in my own neighborhood in the last 5 years than I ever saw growing up near Dallas. Pick your poison on what is to blame, I just roll with it and keep on trucking.

My grandfather has never moved from my fathers last childhood home over 34+ years that I can count. The neighborhood was originally all family oriented and friendly, then came the gang bangers. He put up reinforced bars on everything and double doors, and put on his grumpy old man face. He's always been left alone from that look through the window alone. It helps he never opens the door period...even for family members . If you don't know to use the side door or garage, he knows you don't belong there.

The neighborhood now has shifted back to friendly hispanic families who are improving the area and making it family safe again. Could be rental properties, could be owners, doesn't make a lick of difference to us. What we see is kids running safe and playing again, families maintaining lawns/trees, and actually fixing broken things on the house/cars instead of just adding another layer of duct tape. He lives in what is considered "near downtown" houston.

He is firmly in the anti-gun crowd, doesn't like em or have a use for them, but doesn't ever question what someone else does. His son had a collection that he liquidated after his passing (my 2 uncles passed, my dad is the only survivor), never felt a need to protect anything else since he lost granny. He has mentioned a passing appreciation for my chl to protect my family though, so I think he has just accepted and is ready to move on...which makes me quite sad.
    Last edited by DerekP Houston; 07-09-2016 at 08:10 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Exactly! What kind of fool knocks on a stranger's door looking for a friend? If I know someone well enough to drop by his house you can bet I have his phone number and address.
    Reminds me of a guy that approached me from behind a wall at a lonely highway rest stop late one night. I turned to face him and he suddenly wanted to know what time it was. He was wearing a watch, I wasn't. I was wearing a pistol, however, and he got a real good look at the business end of it. I'm not afraid of the dark, I just don't like people who ask stupid questions in the dark. With my LE background I'm well aware that a question from a stranger in some situations isn't about the answer, it's a distraction technique.

Exactly!!

Boolit Master
    Nah, you should come to Brazil... Here anything bigger than a .38 is outlawed since 1930s... See, no tactical evil assault weapons...

Now serious, after the shooting in Dallas I hope there is no more gun control in Texas, which, it looks to me, there's still freedom... Here the so called "specialists" are all talking on tv about the "fire power and high caliber military war grade" weapons used in the shooting... (seems to me it was an sks?). Of course, the talking comes in good time for our govt (and probably yours), since there's a big movement to a new law, conceding carry permits and overcoming some restrictions...

Here we too have some "kill 'em all" leftist movements. All the time the commies talk about killing the burgeoise, the white people, the heterosexuals, the religious, who ever discords them...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast