Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unsociable

Boolit Grand Master

Unsociable

A little after sunset a guy pulling a trailer stopped out front and eventually knocked on the door. (Doorbell doesn't work, friends knock on back door or walk right in). "NO SOLICITORS" sign right next to the ornamental doorbell button. Then he knocked again so I found some pants (just out of the shower) and grabbed a trusty Winchester riot gun. He was halfway back to his truck when I opened the door. He told me he was "looking for a friend" and I told him to get....out of here. He didn't understand so I stepped out so he could see "Blondie" and repeated myself. I hate repeating myself. He understood "Winchester". lol. He had a little SUV on his trailer so I figured he was a repo man.
    Old school riot guns are still pretty awesome, didn't even bother to chamber a round. I love my blonde stock riot shotguns, a little showy but definitely an attention-getter. Good thing he didn't try the back door, lol. Shotgun back there is butt-ugly and mean, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Your post is in stark conflict with the third quote in your signature line.

Edit- sorry, second quote, from Lonesome Dove.
    Last edited by mtnman31; 07-01-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    While I am a firm believer in answering a door with caution, in many states, your actions could get you arrested for "brandishing a firearm" . . . maybe that law doesn't apply in your state? While you may have been irritated with being disturbed by a knock on the door, do you always answer the door in that manner? In your description of the event, you state that you answered the door and he was already halfway back to his truck. Could you not have seen that through a window and just let him return to his truck and leave instead of having to put on a "show of force"? Seems like that would have been the easiest path to take. While I am a firm believer in the right of an individual to protect his home, I also believe that over reacting to a situation where there is no apparent threat is not the best option to follow.

I had a situation this past year where I was home alone and in the basement when the dogs made a fuss upstairs. Long story short, a guy and a girl, both heroin addicts (they were arrested several days after the event) stopped at my house and basically "cased" my house. I came upstairs and stepped out to question what they wanted and I got a reply of they were looking for someone but weren't sure where they lived. Yes - very similar to your description. BUT . . . I was not armed even though I had a loaded pistol inside. That changed the way I do things now . . but now, the pistol is concealed on me (I carry but never have in the house when I'm home). Had I stepped out with the handgun in my hand and asked them what they wanted, if they had been any other innocent individual, I could have been arrested for "brandishing". There is a difference between feeling "threatened" and reacting to a non-threatening situation and acting in a reckless manner to just show how much testosterone a person has. From your description - there appeared to be no "threat" or "threatening action" towards you - as you said he was halfway back to his truck. So where was the "bodily threat" to you that required the show of force and brandishing?

But . . that's just my humble thoughts . . . maybe folks act different where you live. I think mtnman21 makes a very good point . . . .

Boolit Master

Thanks for the right to protect your property in Texas,Amen
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned
    bedbug - I think merely arming yourself would not reach the definition of "brandishing". Pointing the gun at the person might cross that line:

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
    Act 328 of 1931

750.234e Brandishing firearm in public; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.Sec. 234e.
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not willfully and knowingly brandish a firearm in public.
    (2) Subsection (1) does not apply to either of the following:
    (a) A peace officer lawfully performing his or her duties as a peace officer.
    (b) A person lawfully acting in self-defense or defense of another under the self-defense act, 2006 PA 309, MCL 780.971 to 780.974.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Some people will make the argument that in your own home and confronting a unknown subject, it is actually a good idea to announce that you are armed. That action puts the other individual on notice that you are prepared to defend yourself and removes all question that aggressive action will be met with force. The wisdom of that tactic is debatable.
    In any event, merely displaying a firearm in your own home but not pointing it at someone; probably doesn't rise to the level of "Brandishing" a firearm.

Moderator Emeritus

Another difference between the South and North, sunset last night was 9:24, last light around 10. Anyone messing around that time of night would be greeted with more than caution unless they had on a cowboy hat. Hat would probably mean it was a neighbor, male or female.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Guys, he wasn't in public, he was at a private residence. He could have walked out in underwear with bandoliers across his chest and shotguns in each hand. Nothing wrong with it. Now if he pointed it at the guy, that's completely different.

He clearly has marked no solicitation. He asked the guy to leave already and the guy didn't seem to quite understand plain English. Probably was a repo guy or looking for someone or was possibly casing his home. You never know now a days.

No harm, no foul from my perspective. I've answered my door plenty of times at odd hours with a handgun and flashlight.

He needs a sign out by the road that reads...

​"You're already in my 'crosshairs'...you better have a damn good reason to knock on my door!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

"there appeared to be no "threat""
    The important part of this statement is "
    appeared"
    Now I don't think it's all that smart to show people what you have in your house, I would have walked out with the shotty behind me, not in plain sight. Or just let the dogs handle it for me.

Banned

No problems here, friends and neighbors walk in. Ring the bell and it is not a friend or neighbor. Might be UPS is all. I don't have a gun loaded anywhere and might be because I shoot all the time. No fool will come here.
    There are druggies up town but are afraid to go where a gun is.

Banned
    I quoted Michigan law because bedbugbilly appears to be in Michigan during the summer and I was addressing the event he shared. The OP appears to be in Texas and I'm not sure what Texas law is concerning brandishing but I'm willing to bet he didn't violate the law either. Having a gun at the ready is far different than pointing a gun at someone.

There's a difference between arming yourself and brandishing; particularly at your house.

I tend to agree with the practice of discretely arming yourself so that you are prepared if the need to defend yourself arises but you don't display a weapon in the initial encounter.
    I also think it is better to be polite but firm at first until you can grasp the situation. Not every encounter is founded in malicious intent.

Boolit Buddy
    When I answer my door, day or night, I have a pistol in my hand. I also have a rotty and a dobe trying to introduce themselves at my knee... any of which should give me enough time to get to the shotgun if needed. I used to think running the back roads of South Texas was dangerous before I retired... The real danger is in towns because that's where the bad guys live. Brandishing? Down here that's just a Visual Aids Warning Procedure. Heads on fence posts might be more effective, but the neighbors are sure to complain.

Boolit Master
    Is it not alright to answer the door in the USA.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Generally one encounters no problems answering one's door but many subscribe to the Teddy Roosevelt - "Speak softly and carry a big stick" philosophy.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    While I am a firm believer in answering a door with caution, in many states, your actions could get you arrested for "brandishing a firearm" . . . maybe that law doesn't apply in your state? While you may have been irritated with being disturbed by a knock on the door, do you always answer the door in that manner? In your description of the event, you state that you answered the door and he was already halfway back to his truck. Could you not have seen that through a window and just let him return to his truck and leave instead of having to put on a "show of force"? Seems like that would have been the easiest path to take. While I am a firm believer in the right of an individual to protect his home, I also believe that over reacting to a situation where there is no apparent threat is not the best option to follow.

I had a situation this past year where I was home alone and in the basement when the dogs made a fuss upstairs. Long story short, a guy and a girl, both heroin addicts (they were arrested several days after the event) stopped at my house and basically "cased" my house. I came upstairs and stepped out to question what they wanted and I got a reply of they were looking for someone but weren't sure where they lived. Yes - very similar to your description. BUT . . . I was not armed even though I had a loaded pistol inside. That changed the way I do things now . . but now, the pistol is concealed on me (I carry but never have in the house when I'm home). Had I stepped out with the handgun in my hand and asked them what they wanted, if they had been any other innocent individual, I could have been arrested for "brandishing". There is a difference between feeling "threatened" and reacting to a non-threatening situation and acting in a reckless manner to just show how much testosterone a person has. From your description - there appeared to be no "threat" or "threatening action" towards you - as you said he was halfway back to his truck. So where was the "bodily threat" to you that required the show of force and brandishing?

But . . that's just my humble thoughts . . . maybe folks act different where you live. I think mtnman21 makes a very good point . . . .

I have a friend that lived N of Pontiac, Mi in the city of Lake Orion. He had a home right on the shore of the lake of the same name. Due to the number of robberies of homes by those from Detroit and Pontiac looking for a home to rob my friend has adopted a manner of answering his door, even if it is me or another friend calling. He only opens the door to the extent of the security chain. If he does open the door he has his right arm at his side with his hand behind his leg. In the hand is his Colt Combat Commander .45 cocked and locked. He said he has only had to do a `show and tell` once with the Colt to send a person on his way to find his nameless `friend`.Robert

Boolit Master
    Its a big country, it varies by address and zip code. I know some people are prepared for anything. Never had anyone knock who I would have wanted to have a gun in my hand, I would look like a loon to have answered the door armed. Half the time it would be the neighbors kids. We did install security cameras, front and back with recording. It can't hurt to see who's there before you open the door.

Tim

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

With GPS, cell phones, Google, and all the other invasions of privacy, if you don't know where your "friend" lives you are either an idiot or a ne'er-do-well.

If you don't like the sight of a firearm on my person tough mammeries.

I don't like unannounced visitors.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    depends on the area and what time it is. Do you expect unknown people at your doors after dark? i know what all my neighbors look like on site and can tell who doesn't belong. Your door must be stouter than mine, though my little dogs barking scare off most solicitors. It is marked in our subdivision "NO SOLICITATION" and marked on most houses, you have to be pretty ballsy to still think you are going to get a sale going door to door. Personally I would have opened it and seen what the fuss was, but my wife sleeps with a shotgun by the door when I'm out of town. All about your personal comfort level.

Boolit Master
    Before we move to a senior community we lived on a road that was not well lit although our driveway was. Several times people knocked on my door well after dark. I would look out the window before opening the door and I always had a 1911 hidden in my hand behind the door. One night someone knocked, I got my 45 looked out the window, saw a young women and a car in the driveway with a man at the wheel. When I opened the door the women asked if her friend, sister whatever lived there. I asked, what's her name, Joe she said. She went on about driving xx amount of miles but didn't know the address where the person lived. I knew what the knock was about. They were hoping no one would be home and execute a fast in and out. It didn't happen. That was not the only incident to take place late at night.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman31 View Post
    Your post is in stark conflict with the third quote in your signature line.
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a depleted counterbalance devices?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast