Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: How fast can the 230 Lee be pushed in the 300blk and 30-223

How fast can the 230 Lee be pushed in the 300blk and 30-223

Not looking for sub loads. Would like to try and push this bullet as fast as possible from a 17.5 inch 30-223. Does anyone have any loads.
    Will be shot from a bolt action rifle. Figure 300 blk load would be good starting loads.

Boolit Master
    Don't have a bolt gun in 300 Blk but I'd say 1600-1700 fps should be doable! Probably closer to 1600. Velocity isn't your goal, keeping your pressures under 55,000 PSI/CUP is. What powders are you thinking on using?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
    Don't have a bolt gun in 300 Blk but I'd say 1600-1700 fps should be doable! Probably closer to 1600. Velocity isn't your goal, keeping your pressures under 55,000 PSI/CUP is. What powders are you thinking on using?
    Have the following that I need loads for. IMR 4227, IMR 4198, WW231.WW680, Unique, and AA5477. Would any of these work with whatload?

Bump for more answers

300blktalk.com
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

In Remembrance

The Lee "phonograph needle" boolit works OK in my 30/221 Encore with a 1 in 8 twist barrel at about 1100 to 1200 fps. Any load with more velocity is less accurate. I have even tried fixing gas checks on the boat-tail base and applying lube in addition to Lee Alox in an attempt to get a bit more velocity with accuracy. Alox alone appears to limit accurate velocity to about 1200 fps even if the boolits are hard (BHN22) AA1680 seemed to be the best powder for accuracy and velocity in my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Have the following that I need loads for. IMR 4227, IMR 4198, WW231.WW680, Unique, and AA5477. Would any of these work with whatload?

If those powders are what you have available I would pick the WW 680 and work with it. It is long obsolete but similar to 1680 powder that is made now.

Jedman

The WW680 is the I am working with at the moment. Started with 10.5 gr and getting around 1100 fps. the problem is I have to seat the bullet so deep to get it to feed thru a 223 rem lentgh magazine. Even in the longer 223 case over the 300 acc blk case I still must keep the col around 2.25 to feed.