Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations on a couple of new presses.

Boolit Buddy
    I was afraid someone would bring up the Iron, that thing looks awesome. I would love to get my hands on one.

Hows the spent primer catcher working on the Iron?

It works really well. Hasn't missed one yet.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a lot of $$$ though....

Boolit Master
    Those presses are not really as self aligning as the marketing hype claims. If the lock rings are not square to the die threads you get a tilted die.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I don't know what you're gonna take to the range but happiness is spelled "CO-AX", instant die changes without any bushings, makes the most accurate ammo out there.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by cutter_spc View Post
    That's a lot of $$$ though....
    It will last you through you great grand kids lives and beyond though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Those presses are not really as self aligning as the marketing hype claims. If the lock rings are not square to the die threads you get a tilted die.
    It's not the thread/die alignment that makes the Co-ax so precise, it's the floating shell holder. If the lock rings are not square with the die you could get a tilted die no matter what press you are using, the co-ax floating shell holder makes up for it. Shells loaded on the CO-AX showed less runout then ammo loaded on any other press in tests I read about.

And yet, many have reloaded a lot of precision ammo on many other presses without problems. I can only recommend presses I have used. I'm sure the Co Ax is a fine press. As for dies that have crooked threads? I would sure be returning them to the manufacturer as defective.

Boolit Master

And to think I was doing it all wrong when I used to load 6mm BR short on a partner press C-clamped to the bench using custom dies.... ****... Maybe I would have shot less than .1 or .2 inch groups at 100 yards if I had used a better press or setup???
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Arm chair speculation.

There is no press that can square tilted dies. Switch lockrings or send the die back to wherever it came from.

Sinclair makes a steel lockring that is very close to the aluminum Forster one. I remember using the old style Bonanza lockring that had a slotted head screw. I pulled those out and used hex headed screws. Now both Sinclair and Forster lockrings have this feature. I know guys who use Hornady lockrings in theirs. The die in the COAX will float slightly and align itself to the cartridge as it enters the die. The floating shellholder jaws also help with alignment. The COAX press does not have a ram as it uses twin rods to provide alignment. The press is a hybrid C type. I use the short handle rather than the long handle it came with. I also have quick change shellplates using what a member here made and it's on YouTube.

The primer collection and priming is second to none compared to three other single stage presses I own and they have very good spent primer collection! I believe I have the 2nd generation with the taller yoke to use micrometer style dies. Dan at Inline Fabrication has other goodies to add to the press. The handle is midline to the press so you can operate it either hand. It is truly an ambidextrous press! I am a southpaw but can use either hand for loading. I may send an email to Forster to find out which competitive teams use the COAX. It is an unusual press. I have checked the priming depth against my K&M deluxe priming tool with gauge and the primers are seated 0.004" each and every time. Priming is slow on the press. I can do up to 375 H&H on the press and do some case forming on it. My only complaint is the press is not ergonomically designed. That is minor. I do have a nice concentricity gauge coming and will compare results found on this press, Champion, Ultramag and Summit.

To the OP, I only have three presses that use LNL bushing's. The Ultramag, Hollywood Senior Turret and Summit. I now have an arbor press conversion in the Summit. I know the Big Boss II, RCBS RockChucker and Ammomaster, Hornady LNL 50 BMG press and their other two current single stages, and Lee CC non breechlock version can use LNL press conversion. If you have any questions on what I own I can answer them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	171396

Take care

r1kk1

I mounted all my presses vertical, not horizontal.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    I mounted all my presses vertical, not horizontal.
    I thought. . .

"Everybody does the horizontal bop?"

sorry, couldn't resist,

r1kk1

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    The Coax cannot align a tilted die- that is it does no allow anything to tilt into alignment.
    A normal press aligns off of the threads, not the lock ring especially if the lock ring only touches the top of the press without any force.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    If the lock rings are not square with the die you could get a tilted die no matter what press you are using, the co-ax floating shell holder makes up for it. Shells loaded on the CO-AX showed less runout then ammo loaded on any other press in tests I read about.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I used a Co-Ax press for 20 years. (very nice press!)

It was my first press and I bought it on lay-away as I was young and poor at that time!

Still, I have never bought into the hype (others disagree?) that it makes MORE accurate ammo than other presses.

ALL shellholders "float" and ALL dies SHOULD have straight threads on the OD of the die!

ALL lock rings should be flat!

Just sayin have NEVER had any problems because of crummy dies or presses???
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

^^^^ Have you used that dog picture before with other messages? ^^^^

I always chuckle at it. I saw something similar years ago on a National Lampoon magazine. If you don't buy this magazine we'll shoot this dog. I bought the magazine.

While I love my Co-Ax I don't think it or any press will make up of inaccurately made dies.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12