Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on a couple of new presses.

Boolit Buddy

Recommendations on a couple of new presses.

Hey fellow loaders,

I recently up graded from a Loadmaster to a Hornet LNL AP. Absolutely love the press, especially the LNL bushings. But none of my other presses have adapters so I can't run the LNL bushings on the other two presses.

I have a Redding Boss (not the Big Boss) as my main single stage, and an RCBS Partner press as my range press.

I'm leaning towards the RCBS Summit to replace my Redding. But am open to others as long as they have die adapter and a really good way of disposal of spent primers. I know the summit doesn't have the best system, but it does keep the primer crud away from the ram by default.

Replacing my range press is the real problem. I would like for it to be light weight for easy packing back and forth, it of course needs to have a replaceable die bushing too. And I would like for it to be a C or O frame bench mounted design. I have a sturdy wooden box of sorts that I mount my range press to that can hold all my loading stuff inside and I can easily pack the whole thing with me to the range to work up loads. Looks like I'm stuck with the Lee Challenger, unless anyone else has any suggestions?

So what do you guys recommend? I'm just really looking for suggestions, pros and cons, ect..

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...ess-90998.html If you got this version, you would be able to put a LNL bushing adaptor in it instead of having to purchase a whole bunch of Lee's breechlock bushings also. However, The die settings will not be the same between the Hornady LNL AP and this press. They don't even match on Hornady's own single stage that uses the bushings.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...ess-90998.html If you got this version, you would be able to put a LNL bushing adaptor in it instead of having to purchase a whole bunch of Lee's breechlock bushings also. However, The die settings will not be the same between the Hornady LNL AP and this press. They don't even match on Hornady's own single stage that uses the bushings.

Understood, and I am prepared to do some machining or shimming. I do prefer a O frame like the Lee classic cast.

Anyone know of any other options I have for a light weight press? Can the Breech Lock system on the Challenger press be converted to the LNL system?

Boolit Buddy
    Well I did some searching and it looks like swapping the Lee Breech Lock to a LNL isn't feasible.

If you had a machinist friend who could machine out the breechlock lugs and thread the hole to take the threaded adaptor for the LNL bushings, you could. But that might just take the cost up to the level of the classic cast (non breechlock version).

Boolit Bub
    I bought some arbor shims from amazon to make up the difference in my LNL and Summit press. Took a bit of monkeying around to find the right combination of thicknesses, but was able to get the LNL adapter to match up on both presses.

Boolit Man
    You easily convert many presses to use LNL bushings you need this:
    Hornady 44099 Lock N Load Conversion Kit

Like another poster mentioned, the die settings will change from one press to another. HOWEVER, if you buy these:
    Steel Arbor Shim Assortment Kit, Matte, Full Hard, AISI 1008-1010 For Chemistry, 1-1/4'' ID, 1-3/4'' OD (Pack of 19)

You can make the settings the same on both presses. Works like a champ! Both are available on Amazon.

Boolit Buddy
    If you had a machinist friend who could machine out the breechlock lugs and thread the hole to take the threaded adaptor for the LNL bushings, you could. But that might just take the cost up to the level of the classic cast (non breechlock version).
    I would be willing to bet that once you machined out the Breech Lock threads you wouldn't have enough material left to thread for the insert.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
    You easily convert many presses to use LNL bushings you need this:
    Hornady 44099 Lock N Load Conversion Kit

Like another poster mentioned, the die settings will change from one press to another. HOWEVER, if you buy these:
    Steel Arbor Shim Assortment Kit, Matte, Full Hard, AISI 1008-1010 For Chemistry, 1-1/4'' ID, 1-3/4'' OD (Pack of 19)

You can make the settings the same on both presses. Works like a champ! Both are available on Amazon.

This was my plan the whole time,

Looks like I'm stuck finding a RCBS RS-5 for my pack along range press.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutter_spc View Post
    This was my plan the whole time,

Looks like I'm stuck finding a RCBS RS-5 for my pack along range press.
    Why not get a Hornady LNL Classic for the range press? It's basically the same press, but it comes with the LNL system. Also, you might consider staying with Redding and getting a UltraMag and using the Hornady LNL conversion bushing in it.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    Why not get a Hornady LNL Classic for the range press? It's basically the same press, but it comes with the LNL system. Also, you might consider staying with Redding and getting a UltraMag and using the Hornady LNL conversion bushing in it.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

I believe the Hornady press is a bit heavier (somewhere around 16lbs.) than the RCBS (about 8lbs), and the RCBS is cheaper!

I have to admit that Redding makes a fine press, I love my Boss. Doesn't the Ultra Mag sit on a tilt? That is to say it's canted back a few degrees? I think that might be more press than I need, LOL. But I bet it would out last me!

I have to admit that Redding makes a fine press, I love my Boss. Doesn't the Ultra Mag sit on a tilt? That is to say it's canted back a few degrees? I think that might be more press than I need, LOL. But I bet it would out last me![/QUOTE]

Messed up the Quote deal.
    Ram looks 90 degrees to the mounting flange. I have one, I bought in the late 80s, stowed away right now, dug this pic off the net.

Quote Originally Posted by cutter_spc View Post
    Well I did some searching and it looks like swapping the Lee Breech Lock to a LNL isn't feasible.
    A pox on both their houses. We finally have standardized die sizes; and two vendors come in and muck it up with incompatible "fast" loading mounts. I find aligning the Lee breech locks to be a pain. With a proper lock ring (not a Lee Oring design), I can get my dies back to the original setting in a few seconds.

Boolit Master

It's worse that the settings are not even the same between different AP's. I junked some hard to replace Win 307 brass because of this.

My expensive solution to outfit my Lee range presses has been to get multiple sets of dies that stay with each press. For range loading the rifle brass is ready for powder charge, CB seating & crimp. I have 2 Lee hand presses as I seat with one and collet crimp with the other.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I don't know what you're gonna take to the range but happiness is spelled "CO-AX", instant die changes without any bushings, makes the most accurate ammo out there.

Boolit Master

I saved my pennies and bought a Redding T7, that's one hoss of a press.Added the primer tube and a bullet feed die.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Take to the range system ...

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, when I go to the range to work up loads, I take sized and primed brass with me too.

I really want to use the LNL bushings with all my presses, just makes things convenient as the LNL AP is what I will be using most. I have found a few Reloader Specials for $100, and think I will go that route for my pack along range press. Now I just need to decide on good bench mounted single stage.

I have a Lee Classic Cast single stage. That is a good press. The spent primer disposal is very good on this press. I also have a Hornady Iron Press. This press is tight and accurate. It is also about 2.5 times heavier than the Lee Classic Cast. I like it better than the Lee. It comes set up for the LNL bushings even though you would still have to shim them to get them to match the LNL AP settings wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast