Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: What cartridges fit the "almost" standard bolt face that you wouldn't think would?

Boolit Master

What cartridges fit the "almost" standard bolt face that you wouldn't think would?

Yeah, I know it's a stupidly worded question but here's why...sorta:

I'm making a Rem-age switch barrel...marriage between Remington action and Savage barrel nut system...

Obviously I can fit any rimless cartridge with a .470 case head...but I can also fit anything based on the 220 swift semi-rim or 284 Winchester rebated rim, case heads. Are there any other cases that fit the .470 bolt face that you may not expect to?
    [

How are you going to work out the extractor issue with the difference between a semi-rim and a rebated rim? Your project is an interesting one, but you'd probably find it easier to go with rims or rimless, all of one type rim. The .223 family would be good candidates.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Convert to a Sako extractor and you can run anything from 7.62x39 up on a standard boltface.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Pretty much they seem to just work...Since the rims are all .470, the extractor snaps over it and...it just seems to work. I can speak to 6.5x284 and 308. I've not tried the 220 swift yet but the case holds on to the bolt face quite well. Maybe I'm missing something???
    [

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    There are a small group of AR compatible cartridges that are 250/300 Savage based shortened cases that share the 308,x55/57/58 ,06' head .
    7.7 Jap and 6.5 x 55 . There's a 300 Gibbs that amounts to an 06' AI with a 308 neck and probably a wildcat for everything from 17 to 45. Now that I think about the Gibbs is really more like 300WM w/o a belt .
    There's a semi cat that is a rimless 460 S&W .

If you look at only .469-.473 heads that would include case lengths from 45 GAP (.775 ?) All the way up to 2.55 in . Cal from 14-50 . 22,24,25,26,27,28,30,31,32,35,36,45 and 50 are on a shelf from the big 3 someplace.
    A look at C4D reamer rentals with help with choices .

The whole Auto mag family too .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

I think the 458 socom also shares that bolt.
    I'd just save myself a ton of trouble and do the whole series of X57 cases so feeding wasn't an issue.
    that'd give everything from 22 cal up through 9mm and probably a bit beyond.
    I'd be long since dead before I got all the load details worked out on just those rounds alone.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I think the 458 socom also shares that bolt.
    I'd just save myself a ton of trouble and do the whole series of X57 cases so feeding wasn't an issue.
    that'd give everything from 22 cal up through 9mm and probably a bit beyond.
    I'd be long since dead before I got all the load details worked out on just those rounds alone.
    A little beyond 9mm. 9.3x57mm.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    35 Remington usually works. same base as 7.62X39 and 6.5/7.35 carcano

Boolit Master
    Just get a copy of Cartridges of the World and look at the rim diameters.
    EDG

Probably the best of the standard bolt face cartridges as a cat, is the 280 AI which makes a belt-less 7mm RM with a standard base. That case makes a real nice 7mm round for a switch barrel. The 6.5x06 makes a great long range varmint round as does the 240 Laser, a 280 AI necked down to 6mm with the shoulder moved forward .100 of the 240 Gibbs, it is built to launch the 115 Berger VLD to 3,800 fps. I have a switch barrel mag faced bolt gun and a friend and I were working on a standard bolt face as you mention, based on a 700 with a welded in place recoil lug, it is a 280 AI to start with a 35 Whelen to build. But you can make a ton of equivalents for belted cases out of the 280 or 270 cases both are longer that the 06 from whence they came.

Got another friend that makes up cats so he can use standard dies and reamers. Like he built a 6mm cat that is made by a 243 reamer run in so that a 6mm Rem go gauge locks up, it creates a blown out 6mm Rem body and uses a 243 die to neck size and reload, the 6mm cartridge headspaces to fireform, he says it is super accurate.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903