Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: How are the newer Ruger 77/22 shooting these days?

Boolit Grand Master

How are the newer Ruger 77/22 shooting these days?

Trying to find a new bolt action 22lr rifle
    and have handled a few Ruger 77/22 lately
    and enjoy the "real rifle" feel to them.
    Been on the hunt for a new squirrel getter and can clanged and have looked at them, the CZ 455 as well as a few used guns. Saw a Sako on GB but they want $800, which is well within my budget but I like to be able to handle a gun first before
    buying. I've been trying to find a Winny 52 with no sights, but no luck so far with that. I've also been on the look out for Anshutz and a few others including Cooper but none locally. I asked recommendations previously and I've been on a lookout. I don't mind waiting for "the one".

I haven't shot any of the new manufacture Ruger 77/22 rifles but I did have one back in 1985-90. It was a superbly accurate rifle. Back then, I could actually shoot it to near it's potential. It would hit anything you could see and hold it on.
    I currently have a CZ 455 American which is a recent purchase. I got the walnut stock. It balances and handles like a a "real" rifle should. Also superbly accurate. Unfortunately, I can no longer shoot it to it's potential, but I can see what it's potential is. Benched at 25 yards, it shoots bug holes with good ammunition. I will find out tomorrow what it does at longer ranges.

I have had several. Bought blue & walnut when first out, still have that one with 4x scope. The
    rig is deadly accurate. Shot as good or better than Rem 541s that everyone was revved up on
    at the time. Have had the stainless / synthetic models, ugly but good shooters. The newest one
    I had was a 2013 gun. All shot very well.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I tried out the CZ American at 50 yards today. With match ammunition, I was getting groups the size of a nickel consistently. That is all the better I can hold using the equipment I had available.
    With a better rest setup, I could probably get that down to dime sized. I could see the movement in the scope, but couldn't get it to stop completely.

Boolit Master
    I've always wanted one but never could bring myself to pay the price. I'm happy with my Ruger American 22lr but it's no target rifle... plinking and small game it's fine.

Boolit Master
    Try to get an opportunity to handle a CZ. Some like the American (optics necessary) and some like the other models that also have irons. Most like them all. For about $20 you can buy parts to improve the trigger if necessary. As previously mentioned it feels like a sustantial rifle. www.rimfirecentral.com is a good source of info.

Boolit Master
    My American has open sights too...