Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Lug pin hole too small, Encore

Boolit Master

Lug pin hole too small, Encore

Putting a new Bergara ML barrel on my Encore. The pin fits the frame just fine = close, no slop and is good and no problems on the other barrels. The bergara barrel pin hole is so tight the pin will not go through. It will start for about 1/8" each side and then gets really tight and cannot be pushed or easy tapped through. I am NOT going to drive the pin in! Wondering how to best polish the pin hole on the Bergara lug. Get some fine "garnet" paper and slowly polish hole and frequently try pin or what? Insight and anecdotes welcome. Thanks, 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master

I recently purchased a 7.5" 300BO threaded barrel for my Encore and the pin was very tight but was able to gently tap it in. Once in it locks up perfectly and so far (5 shots) I've had no issues with it. Rather quiet with the suppressor on it too.

Banned

I don't think I would get that aggressive.
    try to measure the difference between the part of the hole that takes the pin and the part that don't you might just have a slight amount of burr or roll over or taper to deal with.
    and polishing the hole would allow a better slip fit rather than a 150 grit finish.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a spare pin (you should) drive it thru the barrel lug when it is off the frame and supported by a piece of wood. This should make it so you can get it thru on the frame. It will loosen up after being fired some.
    Watch the loads in the Bergara barrels. The lugs have a tendency to stretch and then the barrel won't lock up tight. I had a 243 and a 270 I bought new both do this. Bergara replaced them and I sold them both and informed the buyer about the issue.
    See Mike Bellm's website for further info on this.

Banned

Some barrels were made for the larger pin and some for original. I bought the larger pin and reamer for mine. Some barrels are made for the original pin but the frame can be larger. A lubed pin should slip in with a finger. If not, ream the barrel lug.

Try contacting Mike at:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

If there is any questions about anything T/C he will probably know the answer. Be aware he is highly opinionated but he does know what he is talking about when it comes to T/C's.

Steve...........
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Master
    OK, got problem solved. Have had 3 different TC barrels on this frame/pin and no problems with fit. So I got some of my Vfine garnet paper like 400 or 420 grit. just cut a 4"X4" piece and rolled it up tight. Put some CLP into lug hole and then inserted rolled paper in the lug hole and then allowed it to expand itself. Kept all even and aligned. very easily and lightly twisted and polished the hole. Take paper out and clean hole and then try pin, no go. Repeated process. On this try the pin went through with light taps. Take pin out and showed no scratches, scrapes or deformation. The fit for barrel/pin/frame is like the others. The barrel is a .45 muzzleloader so that should not stretch the lug. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga