Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: source for 308 expanding lead bullets

Boolit Mold

source for 308 expanding lead bullets

HI GANG
    looking for a supply source for cast lead bullets for subsonic (950fps) hunting use in my bolt action 308.

this is a load for coyotes and would like a bullet weight of 130 to 180 gr that will expand at subsonic in a coyote.

I will consider heavier bullets if I have to as I realize most 30cal subsonic users are shooting ARs.
    I know there are subsonic coated lead bullet suppliers out there but they do not look like easily expanding bullets!!

thinking of a soft lead HP design???
    any known suppliers and / or personal experience with this??

Boolit Buddy
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Mold
    Dinny
    thanks for that info - I had already checked them out but their prices are extremely high

Boolit Master
    When I did the sub sonic thing with a trio of 308's I had very good results with Outlaw State Bullets granted they're jacketed but they did very well on deer . Www.outlawstatebullets.com
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

You need to find someone on forum who is willing to cast for you some of these boolets....or buy yourself one HP mold...

Speer/Hornady half jacket is soft. Never seen a coyote that wasn't a ways off and moving fast. Most here use 223 or 7 mag & nite scope.
    Last edited by popper; 07-10-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I agree on the powder coated bullets or else make some softnose cast from whatever mould shoots best. They are easy to make.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Think about a two alloy bullet. The front of pure lead and the rear of a harder alloy, wheel weight , Lyman#2 or even Linotype. The 311041,311466 and 467 are decent candidates for this. The good thing is you can practice with the same bullets made of wheel weight alloy and save the few two part ones for hunting. BruceB's method can be found on here by searching for soft nose cast. I am to lazy to do it that way and just made a tiny ladle for the nose and my Lee pot for the rest. Bruces are prettier than mine but not a lot more effective on critters.

Minnesota, the state where absolutely nothing is allowed
    I use a LBT soft pointer, unfortunately long discontinued. There was a little learning curve, but it works great!

Boolit Buddy
    I've done the two alloy bullets and split nose, as well. I've pretty much found that good ole W.W. will expand enough at higher velocities, and a hollow point at the lower velocities. If you can not find a hollow point, get a Forester trimmer ad a hollow pointer for it. That'll work if nothing else.