Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Marlin 1895 Guide gun

Boolit Master

Question Marlin 1895 Guide gun

I have a chance to buy a used 1895 Guide Gun 45/70. The gun is like new but the problem is the stock length. I am 6'5'' tall and the stock is quite short for me. I know it will beat the heck out of me like this. Does anyone know of any after market replacement stocks that will add some length?
    Thanks
    Nighthunter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter
    I have a chance to buy a used 1895 Guide Gun 45/70. The gun is like new but the problem is the stock length. I am 6'5'' tall and the stock is quite short for me. I know it will beat the heck out of me like this. Does anyone know of any after market replacement stocks that will add some length?
    Thanks
    Nighthunter

Why not replace the thin buttplate with a nice thick rubber recoil pad. You would add length to the pull and make it more pleasant to shoot at the same time.

NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks
    Nighthunter
    Reminds me of a similar problem I have had all my life...I have something that is quite short for me......of course you being 6'5" probably aren't afflicted in such a manner...........uh hmm, like the other feller said, get yourself an extension...a big rubber one, they work fine!
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

Smile

Thanks
    Nighthunter
    Rather than a new butt stock, or a rubber pad, take a look at what this guy offers.

http://www.levergunleather.com/

I've not yet ordered from him, but plan to have him make up a lace on shotgun type pad for my old Siamese Mauser bubbaed, er, Converted to 45/70. I need to extend the stock about 2" or so and he is willing to make up the pad with leather spacers. FWIW
    Regards,

WE

I am the same size, and use a lace up pad with sorbothane gel inserts (from a bicycle seat replacement cut to size), to extend the length. I use the regular 1895 because of balance. My brother has the same issues, and this has worked well for him. I recently bought a handi and had a a stock made specially for it. It is quite long with a limbsaver recoil pad. Believe 17 inches. They can make it to your specified length. Believe they do Marlins too, although they don't display it the same way.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/NEF%20stocks/Handi-rifle%20stocks.htm
    Last edited by Dr. A; 10-31-2005 at 01:06 PM.