Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm/45acp Molds

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO2 View Post
    Still researching looking at custom molds now . Trying to approximate good old ball ammo in shape and weight .
    Lyman 452374. The "standard" for duplicating hardball shape and weight for 100+ years.
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...php?entryID=29

Boolit Master
    Offer still stands if you would like some samples. for 230 gr I have the TL Lee version, or I can swap the blank pins into the MP HP mold and they should come out solid RN profile approx 220gr.

1911 / 45 acp was completely new to me when I bought the first gun and it has not seen factory ammo except the first free box I got with it. I went the same route of duplicating factory ammo profile, shape, and charge since I saved the last round as a dummy cartridge. Since then I have experimented a bit more and found the platform is pretty accepting of most boolits. I only bought the MP mold for the wicked penta HP design "cause it looked cool"....like so many other impulse purchases. I have high hopes for the SWC #68 clone as well, but has not arrived from customs yet.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee 356-120-TC , conventional lube groove , sized at .357 , was the winner in the 3 Lee moulds I tried. cost $22.00
    Wanted to try a gas check mould and experience a "better" mould so ordered a NOE 358-124-TC w/ gas check (4 cavity aluminum) cost $92.00 . It's a truncated cone similar to the Lee.
    Is it worth the cost.....sadly I must say it is , trouble free and a joy to use. BUT only if you know what you want, to costly just to buy and try !
    I like the Lee, plain base for the times I don't want/need GC. I LOVE the NOE it's just easy to cast good boolits with.
    The NOE with GC design makes getting 9 mm loads , even with WW-lead 50/50 mix , not a problem. I have even shot them from a 357 mag. Ruger Blackhawk , loaded in 357 magnum cases , with excellent results, going to reload some in 38 special today , this may work out to be one of those "keeper" loads in the old Blackhawk.

Proper seating depth was the only the only thing I found that required some trial and error to get right for the 3 pistols I have. Walther P-38 (WWII era) , Taurus 92 and Springfield XD, other than that, reloading for the 9 mm isn't too bad. Once fired brass is cheap, yesterday I stopped in Precision Firearms , here in baton rouge, 500 were $12.50 , 1000 were $16.50....I got the value pack and wont have to worry about loosing a few for a while !
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The Lee 356-120-TC , conventional lube groove , sized at .357 , was the winner in the 3 Lee moulds I tried. cost $22.00
    Wanted to try a gas check mould and experience a "better" mould so ordered a NOE 358-124-TC w/ gas check (4 cavity aluminum) cost $92.00 . It's a truncated cone similar to the Lee.
    Is it worth the cost.....sadly I must say it is , trouble free and a joy to use. BUT only if you know what you want, to costly just to buy and try !
    I like the Lee, plain base for the times I don't want/need GC. I LOVE the NOE it's just easy to cast good boolits with.
    The NOE with GC design makes getting 9 mm loads , even with WW-lead 50/50 mix , not a problem. I have even shot them from a 357 mag. Ruger Blackhawk , loaded in 357 magnum cases , with excellent results, going to reload some in 38 special today , this may work out to be one of those "keeper" loads in the old Blackhawk.

Proper seating depth was the only the only thing I found that required some trial and error to get right for the 3 pistols I have. Walther P-38 (WWII era) , Taurus 92 and Springfield XD, other than that, reloading for the 9 mm isn't too bad. Once fired brass is cheap, yesterday I stopped in Precision Firearms , here in baton rouge, 500 were $12.50 , 1000 were $16.50....I got the value pack and wont have to worry about loosing a few for a while !
    Gary
    If I might ask, what expander and die do you use for that 9mm mold. I gave up previously but all the positive posts here make me feel like I didn't try hard enough at making it work.

Adding NOE 358-124-TC w/ gas check to my wish list....just so happens the swede gave us all a discount code so I may just purchase it and see what happens. Is there a non-gas check version or is that highly recommended for 9mm due to the pressures of that cartridge?

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting info on the 9mm . Old brain still researching and processing information . Not adverse to any mold even custom just trying to think it all though .

Boolit Man
    I've put many thousands of rounds down range of the Lee 452-TC. Once I dialed in the correct OAL it has been nothing but smooth sailing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    If I might ask, what expander and die do you use for that 9mm mold. I gave up previously but all the positive posts here make me feel like I didn't try hard enough at making it work.

Adding NOE 358-124-TC w/ gas check to my wish list....just so happens the swede gave us all a discount code so I may just purchase it and see what happens. Is there a non-gas check version or is that highly recommended for 9mm due to the pressures of that cartridge?
    You can order that NOE mould with a GC , without a GC and ....with and without a GC ! That's one or two cavities with a plain base and one or two cavities with a gas check , I wanted a 4 cavity , all with GC and had to wait for them to make a run, most people wanted plain base. This mould was originally designed with a gas check for 9 mm Luger loading . Cast on the soft side the hollow pointing is not absolutely needed for some expansion...It is an excellent design for this.

I use the expander die from a set of steel C-H dies to expand the neck...but not bell the mouth. Then bell/flare the mouth with a Lee Universal Flaring Die....it only bells the mouth, it does not expand the case neck. This was the only way I could get proper expansion with .357 inch boolits with the dies I had . I'm sure there are easier ways but I had these tools on hand and it worked. 9 mm dies are not geared to loading cast .357 size boolits , so you have to get creative. I also believe the gas check helps get the bullet seated without excessive distortion and lead shaving. But I could be wrong on this...it doesn't hurt the seating.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-03-2016 at 04:15 PM.

NOE's got expanders in different sizes and sizer dies to go with it.
    For example .355x.359 expander and .358 sizer.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
    In the land of the disarmed, the one armed man is king.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13466262_10201734344997206_8491518244327039268_n.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	171574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13495195_10201737375232960_8899736914005730996_n.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	171575

Accurate Molds .45-205A
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master

I have found that my Lee 6-cavity 120 truncated cone to be wonderful. I little deburring, smoked it, and it rains boolits that I size to .358 and shoot out of all my 9mm's with no problem. I use range scrap mixed with softer stuff 50-50. I use BAC lube. Absolutely no leading even when fired out of a carbine length barre. I like 4.0 gr of Red Dot to make the powder stretch. I have also used HS-6 with excellent results. I've probably passed 5K of these with absolute satisfaction. Yes, I have 9mm molds from MiHec and NOE. They cast beautiful boolits too with which I'm extremely satisfied. They are works of art.

I have had good results with Lees six cavity mold for the 125 grain flat point. This mold I normally use for my .38 special, but it works great in my 9mms sized to .359 and .358.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Allot of reloader use 38spl expanders for their 9mm's or get custom expanders. I made a custom expander for my cheap set of lee reloading dies for the 9mm.

[IMG][/IMG]

An easy way to tell if your expander is not working properly with the 9mm/cast bullet combo is to load a couple dummy rounds and pull the bullets and measure them. If the bullets started out .358 and the bullets base are now .355/.356. Your expander is junk/made to hold neck tension on .355 jacketed bullets.

I bought a mihec mold for the 9mm several years ago and have never looked back. Cast from nothing more than scrap range lead, powder coated & sized to .358

[IMG][/IMG]

My favorite plinking load for the 9mm is a 1100+fps load with those bullets. A 10-shot group @50ft.

[IMG][/IMG]

That powder coated bullet/wst combo is extremely clean. What the bbl looks like after a 700 round range session.

[IMG][/IMG]

A closeup of the bbl.

[IMG][/IMG]

1 wet patch (hoppe's #9) and 1 dry patch to clean the bbl. No brushing, scrubbing, nada, just a wet patch and the bbl is clean.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also like the mihec custom mold for the 45acp. The h&g #68 clones are hard to beat. Typical bullets cast with nothing more than scrap range lead, sized to .452 and seated to the typical 1.250" oal.

[IMG][/IMG]

That bullet in a nm 1911 with the tried and true 3.6gr to 4.0gr of bulleye powder that countless 1000's of target shooters have sent 1,000,000's of h&g #68 bullets down range with. A 10-shot group @50ft in the 45acp.

[IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Buddy
    Nice looking accurate mold . Also Forrest thanks for the detailed description I had not thought about case expanders . Will take a look at the Noe website and get one each for the 9MM and 45acp .

Boolit Bub
    WOW!!! Forrest!! I am impressed!! What a 9MM group! That's what I want from my AR-15 carbine!! What powder and load was used for that 9MM group? I don't recognize "WST" powder... I will look into a larger expander from NOE... The light bulb just came on!! Thanks... Jon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    The easy way is the Lyman 452460 200 gr and Ly 358242 or 356402 124 gr.
    Plus one - the -460 shoots like a champ, and the -402 likewise - the truncated cone is the ORIGINAL 9mm bullet design, or so I hear...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWM View Post
    If you use a gas check and a hard alloy 9mm isn't so bad.
    I cast 124 grain truncated cones for my SR9 using range scrap and get excellent accuracy and performance. No gas checks, but I do powder coat.

Boolit Buddy
    Decided on the Noe H&G 34 for 45acp going to order wondering if there is a discount code for cast boolit members .

Forrest r, are you using the MP 359-125-HP-PB? I have a SA RO in 9mm too and they seem to be really accurate. For now, I just using a Lee 356-125-2R 6cav with powder coating. Getting really good results with powder coating but the Lee round nose is bulbous which requires deeper setting to feed in some of my other 9mm handguns.

Boolit Master

For 9mm, I use a Lyman 38 ACP expander for the case because the standard RCBS 9mm expander is only for jacketed. My 9mm bullet is the Lee 356120TC with CR lube, sized .356. I have put 27k thru my XDm9mmComp without any problems. I do clean it about every 1k rounds, a brush stroke or two and wet patch takes care of it. WST is Winchester Super Target and I have used it in 9mm (and other cartridges) to good advantage, but my fav powder for 9mm is HS6. For the 45 ACP, its hard to beat the H&G#68 style from Accurate or Lee, or the 230TC from Lee. Just my experience...
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    I run two 4 cavity 9 mm's with good success one is the Saeco #115 a round nose 125
    gr. and the other 9 mm is a NOE #358-128, which is a 9 mm version of old H&G #68 SWC design.

As far as 45 ACP I run a 4 cavity Saeco # 357 round nose 230 gr., a NOE #453-200, which is a #68 H&G SWC clone and an H&G #130 a 185 Gr. SWC.

You can look long and hard, but I don't think you are going to find better designs for reliability and accuracy. I don't lube & size anymore since I found the benefits of powder coating, but they worked back when I did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12