RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage sale find:Hornady press

Boolit Buddy

Garage sale find:Hornady press

Woke up to the wife saying our son called that lives about 45 mins. away, and said on his way to work, he stopped at a garage sale and they had two boxes full of reloading stuff, and wanted $400 for everything and do I want it. The wife made the decision and said yes and to put it aside and we will be over. I am now going through the boxes; a complete Hornady AP lock and load press, with 4 shell holders and the case loader, 4 RCBS dies to include 30/30, 30/06, 243, and 357 mag, a Hornady case trimmer, numerous RCBS things in a little box, two scales, funnels, shell holders, extra parts and primer tubes, about 300 243 Sierra 90 grain bullets, about 200 30/30 Sierra 150 grain bullets, two reloading books, and a couple of Lee parts including 3 crimp dies. I think we did OK, it wasn't a steal, but everything is in good shape, and works, and no rust, and alot of it has never been used and looks brand new. PS, I love my wife.

Take care of her, sounds like a good one. And I am not talking about the press

Boolit Master
    Took her bait like a champ... time to go furniture shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by mica_hiebert View Post
    took her bait like a champ... Time to go furniture shopping!
    lol!!
    NRA Life Member

You should have bought a lottery ticket on that day...You were a lucky duck! Dontcha just love days like that?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    ap press was worth 400 alone, i'd say you did pretty good! Congrats on the haul.

It was a steal! Oh, and your wife sounds like a keeper.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes she is. I am truly blessed, in both the deal, and my wife.

I have to disagree with the (it wasn't a steal but we did o.k.) if I read correctly you also got the case feeder with the LNL. That makes it an Ammo Plant and the cost of that alone is about 1200.00 bucks. So that by itself was a steal at 400.00. The rest of the stuff just make it more so. Way to go.

Ooops, the ammo plant also comes with the bullet feeder. But the press and case feeder together is still around 700.00 so still a whale of a deal.
    Last edited by 1bluehorse; 06-26-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I just mounted it on the bench, and needless to say, I am very happy with this deal. I found that after a good cleaning, it works and everything functions good. I have one piece that is broken which is the plastic part that supports the primer rod to the press but I will call Hornady and get that coming.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wis. Tom View Post
    Yes, I just mounted on the bench, and needless to say, I am very happy with this deal. I found that after a good cleaning, it works and everything functions good. I have one piece that is broken which is the plastic part that supports the primer rod to the press but I will call Hornady and get that coming.
    They ship 2 of those parts with the press brand new, I snapped mine in the first week . They are easy to replace, just make sure the primer shuttle lines up properly. Easy to replace at least.

Boolit Buddy
    How is Hornady warranty? Is something like that covered? This is my first Hornady press, as I have two Lee(one pro 1000 and one turret classic) and one Rock Chucker.

Boolit Master
    I don't think the breakable plastic parts are covered as they are considered "regular maintenance" but I don't know for sure. I just went ahead and ordered a spare from the website as I know I'll goof up and break it again. What happened to mine was the primer shuttle had a burr on it and snagged pulling back and bent to rod down to far. A little 1000 grit polishing on the shuttle and it never happened again. IIRC it was a few bucks for all the replacement parts each, I've gotten so used to my lee turret press that I keep all the "breakable" plastic parts on hand just in case.

Give Hornady a call anyway. They might just replace it for you anyway. It wouldn't hurt to just buy a few of those plastic parts so you won't have to have down time while you wait in the future

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the advice and yes, I will order a couple of those.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wis. Tom View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and yes, I will order a couple of those.

FYI, these are the best video's for tip and tricks on the LnL press. He gets a little off subject and rambles but cured all my issues so far. I even go back to reference it when things start goofing up.

One main trick is the lock nut on the shell plate instead of a flat washer, it WILL work its way loose and start causing issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qC1O5FzSCA

Boolit Master
    Hornady has never charged me for any parts I've needed for my LNL AP or anyother Hornady product I own. Best thing to do is phone them explain what you have and what you need.

Sounds like a good score. My son and I went together for a $200 purchase of the contents of a shed. Seems the old guy who owned the house had passed. A co-worker bought the house and offered the deal to us or,"it's all going to the dump". The shooter was a reloader and bullet maker. We pulled well over $2000 worth of equipment, lead, molds and valuable gun parts out of there.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a Lee fan and have 2 Lee presses, and a ton of dies and molds and such, but this Hornady LNL Press is amazing after setup, just saying. I have taken a huge step up the ladder, in progressive presses. The Pro 1000 was ok before, but after you set this press next to it, my, there is just no comparison. I plan on keeping the 9mm, and maybe the 38 special, on the Lee but the rest (223, 44, 45, 7.62x39, 30 carbine, 30/30, 308, 30/06, and 7 and 8mm) is moving to the LNL. The Lee turret is set up for 357 and will probably stay and the Rock Chucker is for everything else. This press does have a learning curve but smooth once it starts running. If you didn't notice, I am extremely pleased.

I have one of these presses and think it is a GREAT PRESS!! I flopped between the Dillon and this press. Got a killer deal on this press new at Cabela's and just recently purchased the case feeder again killer deal (gift cards I earned at work for watching videos). There is a learning curve to all of them! I started on a Pro 1000 if you can load on that machine this one is a cake walk (I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know!). Congrats on your find enjoy it!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast