Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 308 brass into 45 ACP shotshell

Boolit Grand Master

308 brass into 45 ACP shotshell

I just watched several videos about using regular and specialty dies to produce 45 ACP shot shells using 308 brass. Does anyone here have experience doing it and does the Pistol primer seating deeper matter?
    I think this may be my next project. It's too hot outdoors unless there is no choice. I need something worthwhile to do.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

No issue here,
    Large Pistol primers will be fine
    I have used 410 plastic wads trimmed to length
    and an up side down gas check to seal the shot in.
    I have also used 444 Marlin brass.
    Mike

p.s. What gun? I used mine in 1917 Smiths and Colts, Smith 25 and Ruger Blackhawk.

Never messed with the 1911 as the cylinder length for the revolvers made more potent package.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I just watched several videos about using regular and specialty dies to produce 45 ACP shot shells using 308 brass. Does anyone here have experience doing it and does the Pistol primer seating deeper matter?
    I think this may be my next project. It's too hot outdoors unless there is no choice. I need something worthwhile to do.
    Here.....I have a sticky about just that.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hells-(My-Way)
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Mold
    I did like you and watched all the videos/ read the threads. It took a little tinkering with the load to get them to function in my Kimber 1911. It was a fun little project. I do the cardboard wad and up-side down gas check.

I also made (edit: modified) a die to make 45 ACP shotshells with 308 (types of) brass, I use .410 wads cut down.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=45+shot
    Last edited by jmorris; 06-26-2016 at 12:07 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    After reading article in The American Rifleman over 35 years ago I ordered the die set from RCBS. Article suggested Remington SP 410 shot cups and 35 cal gas check to form front seal. Load has been used in 9 different guns during this time. Other than a few guns with short extraction ports all shot and cycled well as long as commercial 308 brass was used. Military brass is usually thicker and has trouble releasing from chamber reliably. A little fingernail polish at primer and edges of gas check makes them reasonably water proof.

Frosted Boolits

I need to look into making some of these dies because they are super expensive to buy from RCBS. I have a complete set to take mesurements from.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    I need to look into making some of these dies because they are super expensive to buy from RCBS. I have a complete set to take mesurements from.
    Just use what I use, never an issue and they're ready made ,and cheap. Chances are you already have what you need to do the conversion.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

In Remembrance

I use a 41 mag size die to make cases from 308 blank brass.

These are the dimensions I used posted (#7) in the thread I linked to above.

http://www.avr-developers.com/45shot...cartridges.pdf

Since my rock chuckers stroke will not allow me to set the die in a manner to get the case shoulder set the same way every time, I had to come up with an idea. Ended up doing the simple solution of taking a 1/2" piece of steel tube, and with a barrel in hand as a headspace guide, ground the piece of tube to be a positive stop between the shell holder and the mouth of the die. So I set the case in the shell holder, set the tube around the case, and bingo, perfect headspace everytime.
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 09-25-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    After reading article in The American Rifleman over 35 years ago I ordered the die set from RCBS. Article suggested Remington SP 410 shot cups and 35 cal gas check to form front seal. Load has been used in 9 different guns during this time. Other than a few guns with short extraction ports all shot and cycled well as long as commercial 308 brass was used. Military brass is usually thicker and has trouble releasing from chamber reliably. A little fingernail polish at primer and edges of gas check makes them reasonably water proof.
    Like Bama, I bought the forming and loading dies from RCBS right after the American Rifleman article came out.

One potential issue that would compromise function in semi-autos is if the wad burns through, dumping pressure. So they recommended Remington SP 410 wads because they were the thickest available at that time. They also recommended using W231 powder because it burns cooler than powder of similar burning speed available at the time, like Bullseye.

I used .375 gas checks instead of .35 gas checks so I didn't have to crimp the case mouth as severely.

Boolit Master

Many years ago (2002) I borrowed a set of the RCBS dies and messed around with this. I used .243/.308/30-06 cases and they worked fine. I used trimmed down .410 wads and some thick clear acetate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308-shotshell.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	227146

Then I tried using a single buck shot to close them up and it worked pretty well

Name:	Shot-buck load small.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	227147

The last thing I messed with was making longer cases for more payload to be used in my .45 ACP revolvers.

Name:	revolver cases.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	227150

Name:	625 cyl with cases small.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	227149
    Last edited by Intel6; 09-14-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I did 30-06 to 45ACP shot and have a cuple of observations:

I did the bottom wad from a 45 cal gascheck and by the time it swaged down to .38'ish the neck stuck in the rifling.
    Bad enough that i had to pound it lose.
    I switched to plastic discs and with the load (for speed) i deemed proper it still rendered my auto a single shot.

On the other hand i cut down 460S&W and sized the top with a 44MAG die for proper fit in my 45 1873 45LC and they shot @225gr of shot HARD and worked like a charm!

This looks great! I will have to try, does RCBS still make this?

Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    Many years ago I borrowed a set of the RCBS dies and messed around with this. I used .243/.308/30-06 cases and they worked fine. I used trimmed down .410 wads and some thick clear acetate.

Then I tried using a single buck shot to close them up and it worked pretty well

The last thing I messed with was making longer cases for more payload to be used in my .45 ACP revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by JavelinaBlanco View Post
    This looks great! I will have to try, does RCBS still make this?
    Yep, $170 for the 3 die set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/728...-acp-shotshell

Boolit Buddy

I bought the RCBS dies, and only have one die remaining. The die states "45 ACP SHOT SIZE D"
    I think that is the only die necessary(if you have regular 45 acp dies) it's the one that forms the brass into the "shotshell". I haven't used it in over 20 years.

I don't have the RCBS shot shell dies, modified an extra die I had to form the cases. Then I install an insert I also made that pushes the over shot card down while it crimps the mouth.

I have a set of the RCBS dies along with a trim die. I will be selling these as soon as I get around to it since they are part of a friends estate and I'm helping out. They are in excellent condition and will cost considerably less than Midway's price of $170
    Phil

I use a 41 mag die for the shoulder. Home punched wads, have switched to TiteGroup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast