Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who getting ready

Also have a freezer too. that way what ever you do get most of it can be skin and then freeze. have fur side out and roll up and then put in a plastic shopping bag and then tie up and in the freezer. I do that with coon,coyote,possum ,fox,beaver. if i do not have the time to put them up right away.as for muskrats ,mink and otter,skunk ,weasel I put them up right away.The rats and mink and weasel are easy to put up .otter will take some time but it works for me for how I do it. After every thing slow down . Is when I start to take some of the other fur out of the freezer and work on them to put up alittle at a time. I use wood boards for just about every thing but ,rats and possum and some time skunk I put on wire.If you like to know any more let me know .I see what I can help you with.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Well Im trying to recoup after knee surgery, now its looking like I may have to have knee replacement, so my water trapping may be out this year, climbing up and down those ditch banks may not be too kind.
    Saw a small red fox the other day at the deer lease, where I trapped my first grey fox, and it got me thinking bout trapping.
    I hope everyone has a safe and productive season.
    Tight chains and prime fur.

I hear you BKS I know how it is that you can not do what you was able to. But give yourself some time to heal and go from there. just do what you can .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    Well Im trying to recoup after knee surgery, now its looking like I may have to have knee replacement, so my water trapping may be out this year, climbing up and down those ditch banks may not be too kind.
    Saw a small red fox the other day at the deer lease, where I trapped my first grey fox, and it got me thinking bout trapping.
    I hope everyone has a safe and productive season.
    Tight chains and prime fur.
    Aww heck, after a couple of months of therapy you'll be up and rearing to lay some steel. Follow their instructions for therapy, with good meals and healing will go good for you. Don't over do it as that will put you back worse than be for. Maybe start will some snares and go from there. Hope all goes well for you BKS.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

BKS,

From my experience living in the swamp, there are beaver that you don't need to chase. Stick to the k9s, they are the ones that need killing, atleast in my area.

Rest up. There is always next year. Mind what the doc says and you will be back on the horse in no time.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

FYI. Maybe it will be a warning to others. I grew up hunting, fishing and started into reloading at a young age. All of this I kinda went into at a slower rate since I was young. I also had the benefit of not having "bills". Getting into trapping was a big eye opener. I have learned that you do it right or you do it twice. So that is the attitude that I took going into trapping. Lets just say that it was a good thing that there was lots of overtime to help me out.

I can't say that it is the most expensive thing I have gotten into but it was a challenge. Looks like I might recoup my investment in about 10 years.

Money wise I would have been better off getting into drugs as a youth. However, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I do these addictions. And now I get to teach my kids. Well, all but the trapping. That we are going to learn together!

I would post what I bought but I am afraid that the wife might read this . Just kidding... She preffers the couch. OK, really, she was fine with it, I think, I haven't told her yet. But seriously, she is happy (I think). Heck, I did pretty good with her. Long as I keep the bills paid and don't waste away in the bar it is all good.

Good luck on the lines!

Jerry Jr.

For me ,as to if I am ahead on what i spent. If I only count on the things I get every year. I am ahead.I do not count my time and gas.if I did there would be no point in doing trapping like the other things i do. beside some of the meats i save to eat.So that save on some of the meat bill.

Boolit Master
    I haven't trapped for years and I have lot of traps I will never use, probably. I don't want to mess selling on ebay where I have to mail everything. It seems like there used to be a place where people gathered to buy, sell, trade, trapping, maybe hunting. Anybody know where I could sell a bunch of traps?

Get in touch with these people of your state and they will be able to help you I think.
    http://www.nctrapper.org/

I waxed 50 traps today. That should take care of my land sets. I still need to clean and paint the dp's, make some cables to anchor them and then work on the 110's. I still need to make a few mink boxes and fleshing beams and some drying boards. Guess I am not ready but I am getting there.

Jerry Jr.

southpaw you will get there.Just to let you know do not wax your 110's .If you did not know already. As for me I am all ready and also pick another new place that the land owner have some beaver in his pond and I had trap them out years ago for him and some rats also. NAFA FORMING BOARD PATTERN PDFS.zip here is the patterns for the boards to put fur on .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12