MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for loading data for Power Pistol

Boolit Man

Looking for loading data for Power Pistol

Hi guys,

My powder of choice has been Alliant Bullseye, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I went to one of the big “box” sportsman supply stores, and the salesman told a story of some element of gunpowder being used in fracking, and between that and all the demand for shotgun shells, there are shortages of some powders...blah, blah, blah. Anyway, he suggested Alliant's “Power Pistol”. He said that charge weights and velocities for a given bullet are identical between Bullseye and Power Pistol, and then showed me the listings in a book he had on the desk and it looked as though he was right. I bought Power Pistol. However, once I got home and looked in the ole' Lyman's 49th, there's actually very scant mention of the use of Power Pistol in any of the chamberings I'm interested in, and what is shown is definitely different from Bullseye. I currently load for .32 ACP (71 gr. FMJ) and .32 Long (100 gr. RN-FP coated), and if I win an auction I'm bidding, I'll soon be loading for 380 ACP. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks...

Boolit Buddy
    Alliant have data available online in resources section you can browse or download pdf file. They have recipe for 32 acp with PP but I haven't seen anything for 32 Long.

Moderator Emeritus

when I'm looking to verify loading information, like you are, I generally use the "google custom search", inputting keywords like powerpistol 32auto.

oldmanmontgomery offers some info

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3335027
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 06-25-2016 at 12:37 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

When if first started using it load data was hard to come across. It was recommended to me by a knowlegable handloader to just use unique data with it as its close enough to that burning rate to be called the same and if anything is a bit slower so unique data is safe

Banned

the salesman is full of BS.
    1. nothing in gun powder is related to anything in Fracking.
    2. if it were there would be a huge surplus of it because Fracking has been chopped down about 90% by the drop in oil prices.
    if it hadn't I wouldn't have time to type this and the price of powder would have dropped.
    and NO it is not used in perforating operations either [which are shut-down also]
    3. power pistol is closer to unique/herco than bulls-eye in burn rate.

to sum it up he needs some education.

Boolit Man
    Kayala - I downloaded Alliant's pdf and was studying it some. In the 32 ACP section, it shows one loading for Power Pistol with a 60 gr. Speer Gold Dot HP at 3.6 gr. with the suffix code "DNR" which the legend shows as "Do Not Reduce" Why? Anything less might produce a squib load, or something else? More info please...

Moderator Emeritus

I redacted my suggestion in post 3.
    I spent a little time on this, digging through 6 of my fav reloading manuals. None list powerpistol for your two calibers, even the Lee 2nd ed didn't list any which is basically a compilation of many published data sources. I'm wondering if there is a reason why? If I were you, I'd send Alliant an email.

PS. I thought sure I had a paper copy of Alliant's reloading guide...I didn't or I couldn't find it...it wasn't with my other manuals...but luckily, they will ship me one for free
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Power Pistol is a good powder! I use it for 9mm, 357Mag, and light 44 Mag loads. I think it is a bit slow for use in 380ACP or 32ACP. I reload both of those and use either Red Dot or Bullseye. Some powders burn strangely when using reduced loads. So if one reloading book said DNR, I would not go lower. Pick another powder for those cartridges. I wish I could find more PP or HP-38!

Ed C

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, Javelin, I haven't tried PP in 32 Auto (or in any other calibers), so can't be of any help. I was looking for info on BE-86 and that's how I've stumbled upon this online manual...

Boolit Master

I wonder what "book" this ignorant salesman had. Maybe there are some loads where the charges for Bullseye and Power Pistol are the same, but I'm not familiar with them. In my experience, Power Pistol is used for more zippy loads with heavier bullets than Bullseye. When in doubt, a good place to start is the manufacturer's website. Alliant lists data for their specific powders. If it is not listed for the use you have in mind, there is probably a reason. It doesn't work well in that application.

Boolit Master
    I may be crazy but Power Pistol doesn't strike me as a first choice for the cartridges you mentioned. If you have been using Bulls Eye and can't find it try Hodgdon's: HP38,TiteGroup or Win231. They seem to be available lately. Alliant powders in general seem harder to find.

Banned

got to agree. I wouldn't waste my power pistol on any of those rounds. Bullseye or redot could be used and you wouldn't need 1/2 the amount of powder.
    Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    I may be crazy but Power Pistol doesn't strike me as a first choice for the cartridges you mentioned. If you have been using Bulls Eye and can't find it try Hodgdon's: HP38,TiteGroup or Win231. They seem to be available lately. Alliant powders in general seem harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin Dan View Post
    Anyway, he suggested Alliant's “Power Pistol”. He said that charge weights and velocities for a given bullet are identical between Bullseye and Power Pistol, and then showed me the listings in a book he had on the desk and it looked as though he was right.
    I call BS on the salesdrone. Power Pistol and Bullseye are not the same powder. PP sits somewhere between Unique and Herco on the burn scale. Alliant website has Power Pistol loading. What might have confused the sales person, it that Powder Pistol used to be a commercial only powder known as Bullseye-84. That's the similarity with Bullseye (along with same flake size) and they are both are made by Alliant.

I see loading for 380ACP, 9mm, 38Spl, 357Mag, 40S&W, 44Mag and 45ACP. Nothing in the .32 though.
    Last edited by dudel; 06-26-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Boolit Man
    Good and very much appreciated input - thanks to all! Yeah, when I was talking to that sales guy, I kinda felt the vaseline going into my shorts, but whatever book he showed me DID have identical load data for Bullseye and P.P. in .32 ACP - not sure about .32 long. Anyway, I stuck my head back in the Lyman's for a bit and saw a listing for Red Dot in all the chamberings I'm interested in. Though the charge weights are not identical, they are very similar (within a tenth of a grain or two) AND the velocities are higher! Looks like my "target" (sorry, couldn't resist) is going to be Red Dot. Now, can I find it locally...?

Boolit Grand Master

That salesman is an idiot ! Shop elsewhere. Bullseye is a fast powder suited for all of the rounds you listed. Power Pistol is a slower powder and not really suited for any of them.
    Powders that would be suitable would be 700X , Red Dot , Tight Group , Acc. #2 , HP-38 , 231 and even though rather slow, good old Unique will work in all three.
    Get yourself a good loading manual , study which powders you can use , make a list and don't let some know it all salesman sell you something you can't use.
    Keep the powder because soon you will be loading larger, higher pressure, rounds and can use it.
    My Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 , does not have identical loads for Power Pistol and Bullseye for 32 acp in it , I just looked. Don't buy the salesman's book....something just doesn't sound right.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-26-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Could it have been bullseye86? It would be a heckuva lot closer to Power Pistol than Bullseye.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Man
    I just don't know and have no way to check now. But as a fitting end to this thread, I successfully scored a pound of Red Dot at my local Fin Feather & Fur today, and at a reasonable price. Wasn't much of it left on the shelf, but then again this particular branch is not usually well stocked. I also saw it at the Gander Mountain around the corner, but it was considerably more expensive. I guess I'm trying to say it should be reasonably available in most markets whereas Bullseye is not. After cogitating over my Lyman's 49th, I decided that Red Dot will nicely cover my needs for anything I'm now doing, or anything I'm likely to do in the near future. Just trying to leave a trail of bread crumbs for others who might follow behind with a similar problem. Thanks again to all who helped - you guys are the best!

Banned

if he meant bullseye [BE -86] then he would be spot on as far as being nearly identical.
    they both overlap in burn rate and such.

I wonder how many other fellas have gotten his advice, jotted it down on a scrap paper and went home with their authorized load data?
    He better go back to the used car lot!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Red Dot is very useful . I bought a pound on impulse , 3 one pound containers were sitting on dealers shelf , great in cast bullet handguns and rifles, have been looking for more and right now could kick myself for not buying all three ! When I find it I'm getting more than one pound that's for sure.
    Good choice !
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast