RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drifting out Win 94 Rear Sight. From Right to left?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Drifting out Win 94 Rear Sight. From Right to left?

I need to remove the rear sight on this 94 that I picked up recently. Which way?

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    In theory with a machine cut dovetail it doesn't matter.

I have always done sights in from the right, out from the left.

Robert

Boolit Master

In practice, it does matter, as sight bases are often tapered, small side to the left. So, remove left to right, as seen from the rear. Install from the right.

Put a piece of card under the back part of the sight so that it doesn't scratch the barrel upon removal.

Banned

and a piece of leather with a VEE cut in it on/over the barrel/forearm for when you miss the punch.
    I'd also soak the dovetail in some penetrating oil before giving it a go.
    wish I knew the leather trick before I removed the sight from my old stevens, luckily my thumb partially blocked the hammer.

Boolit Grand Master

Dovetails are normally tapered so that sights go in from Right to Left, and out from Left to Right when viewed from breech to muzzle.

Thanks. I had it *** backwards it seems.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Dovetails are normally tapered so that sights go in from Right to Left, and out from Left to Right when viewed from breech to muzzle.
    In my experience, it is just the opposite....out to the left and in to the right. I think some go one way and some go the other.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    In my experience, it is just the opposite....out to the left and in to the right. I think some go one way and some go the other.
    Good info on dovetails here. http://www.texas-mac.com/Browning_an...Dovetails.html

This is fairly standard for taper items like tapered pins & dovetails since the 1870's. Wedge pins on Colt cap & ball revolvers are opposite. Other than that I am interested in what other post 1870's items that don't follow the industrial norm's.

Credible links would be appreciated.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-24-2016 at 01:11 AM.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Good info on dovetails here. http://www.texas-mac.com/Browning_an...Dovetails.html

This is fairly standard for taper items like tapered pins & dovetails since the 1870's. Widge pins on Colt cap & ball revolvers are opposite. Other than that I am interested in what other post 1870's items that don't follow the industrial norm's.

Credible links would be appreciated.
    I was talking sights...not pins...as the op was asking about sights, not pins.

My experience has been from drifting sights on more than a few guns...perhaps yours has been different...I don't know and don't really care.

Not interested in a pissing contest with you, but I know what I have encountered with the gun sights that I have changed out. I have had some go opposite, but more have gone out to the left, and in, to the right...for me.

And, I am speaking of looking at the gun, from the shooting position, not from facing the muzzle.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 06-24-2016 at 03:34 AM.

Wellllllllllllllll, I'll proceed slowly, haha.

Boolit Master

Thanks. I had it *** backwards it seems.
    Your OK. It's the Coriolis Effect down under in Australia where you live that reverses everything.

From the dictionary:

On the earth, the effect tends to deflect moving objects to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern
    Regarding sight dovetails on Model 94 Winchesters and their Marlin counterparts, I have always removed them from left to right (looking from the breach) and installed in reverse. Like the OP, I take 'em off in order to use an aperture sight.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-24-2016 at 01:26 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Your OK. It's the Coriolis Effect down under in Australia where you live that reverses everything.

From the dictionary:
    On the earth, the effect tends to deflect moving objects to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern
    This assumes that you're looking towards the nearest Earth pole. The effect is actually in the same direction; it is the observer who has turned around.

We are upside down as well! But, most of you guys are standing at 90degrees to starboard or port, depending on the time of day.

Banned

that 90* thing could explain all the headaches I get about this time of day.

Drive the sight from the left = lefty/loosey

Drive the sight from the right = righty/tighty.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I was talking sights...not pins...as the op was asking about sights, not pins.

My experience has been from drifting sights on more than a few guns...perhaps yours has been different...I don't know and don't really care.

Not interested in a pissing contest with you, but I know what I have encountered with the gun sights that I have changed out. I have had some go opposite, but more have gone out to the left, and in, to the right...for me.

And, I am speaking of looking at the gun, from the shooting position, not from facing the muzzle.
    Well, you started a pissing contest and you're as wrong as you can get. They go out to the right and in to the left as you're looking down the barrel from the back (the way you hold it to shoot). Getting belligerent doesn't make you right and you've given bad advice. Like any question you ask on the internet you're going to get more than one answer. Seems easy enough, but it never works out. For reasons like this. Follow the links given on here directing you to someone who actually KNOWS what they're talking about.

Boolit Master
    Regardless if your Aussie or not, it depends on what end of the gun you're standing.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Just to get a gun in on this "pissing" contest I took a recently removed rear sight from a Winchester 94 and a Savage 99 and measured them. The are both the same dimension, either side. No taper, repeat, no taper.....

Boolit Grand Master

Depending on the manufacturer sight dovetails maybe tapered or parallel. If tapered the taper can be in the dovetail cut or the sight. Some of the parallel sights have a short leade angle on the left side to aid in instalation.

On tapered dovetails or sights the amount of taper is minimal. If you assume all are tapered and follow standardized installation/removal procedures you will always be correct. If it's tapered and you drive it out the wrong way it may be lose for the next install.

Whether 55, 60 or 65 degree dovetails measuring .0005" to .004" taper is not as simple as measuring across the high points of the sight base with a caliper.

I am currently out of town fishing and shooting prairie dogs and I only have my phone so I am somewhat challenged posting links but a little time on Google will give you lots of info.

I cut all my firearm dovetails parallel and if the sight base isn't tapered I use dovetail files to cut a short leade angle on the sight.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-24-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast