Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Guidance requested on 230gr. projectiles in .45 Colt +P.

Boolit Master

Guidance requested on 230gr. projectiles in .45 Colt +P.

If this has been answered elsewhere, I cannot find it. If this inquiry is best posted elsewhere, the moderators should feel free to move it with my blessing.

I'm acquainted with the somewhat tried and true 18.5/2400/255 SWC load for the Ruger/ Thompson Only firearms, and I can easily find data for heavier projectiles, but precious little data for lighter ones. I'm interested in developing a load in .45 Colt that will launch a 230 gr. at the highest velocity that is consistent with safety (I'm hoping for 1200 - 1350 f/s), using a 7.5" Ruger Redhawk, and Alliant 2400 powder.

The projectile in question is a j-word hollow point, bereft of the usual features used by the major manufacturer to assure controlled and effective expansion. They point out that the projectile is designed solely for reliable function and optimal accuracy in shooting competition, so I'M not planning to use any to go hunt animals with. But since the projectile IS configured as a hollow point (which seems counter-intuitive to me, given its mission), I'D just like to know what kind of expansion could be expected from it. I intend to test the projectile in .45 ACP as well, but since I also have a .45 Colt that will tolerate +P loads, I'd like to see what it does at higher velocities.

My question is, is there a load warmer than 18.5/2400/230, with which I may start, so as to get to higher velocities without expending a lot of powder and projectiles, just covering ground that I know to be safe with a heavier, cast projectile? ONE idea I'd contemplated was to increase the powder charge by the ratio of the difference of projectile weights (i.e. 18.5 x (250/230) ~ 20.1 gr.) I know that the j-word projectile's lower lubricity may elevate pressures some what, but that could also be offset by the shorter bearing surface of the lighter projectile.

Thanks in advance for the input.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 06-23-2016 at 01:32 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I'm afraid I don't understand your question. If you are not planning to hunt with it, and plan to use one bullet for recreational shooting in both the .45 ACP and the .45 Colt, you will be better served with a faster-burning powder which reaches the desired velocity with the lowest charge weight.

In my experience #2400 is not an ideal powder for .45 Colt using the lighter bullets, but is better suited for those 250-grains and up.

With 230 grain bullets in the .45 ACP and .45 Colt you will be well served with economical, accurate loads of adequate power using a faster powder like Bullseye.

The Saeco #954 230-grain cowboy bullet or the RCBS 45-230CM give hardball equivalent velocity in the .45 ACP with 5.0-5.5 grains of Bullseye, and a full charge, but standard pressure load about 1000 fps in the .45 Colt with 7.2 grains of Bullseye. If you want to increase a bit over standard factory pressures 8 grains of Bullseye gives 1120 fps in my 4-5/8" Ruger and 1300 fps in my 20" carbine and shoots well. I would not increase the charge with Bullseye further, but 10 grains of Unique or 11 grains of Herco are also good proven Ruger loads.

Getting 970-875 rounds from a pound of Bullseye with a clean burning load having excellent ballistic uniformity is far preferable to me than getting only 375 rounds with #2400.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the point, unless you already have the #2400 powder and want to use it up. If THAT is the case, I think you will be disappointed trying to use it with bullets lighter than 250 grains, as that has been my experience.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I'm afraid I don't understand your question. If you are not planning to hunt with it, and plan to use one bullet for recreational shooting in both the .45 ACP and the .45 Colt, you will be better served with a faster-burning powder which reaches the desired velocity with the lowest charge weight.

In my experience #2400 is not an ideal powder for .45 Colt using the lighter bullets, but is better suited for those 250-grains and up.

With 230 grain bullets in the .45 ACP and .45 Colt you will be well served with economical, accurate loads of adequate power using a faster powder like Bullseye.

The Saeco #954 230-grain cowboy bullet or the RCBS 45-230CM give hardball equivalent velocity in the .45 ACP with 5.0-5.5 grains of Bullseye, and a full charge, but standard pressure load about 1000 fps in the .45 Colt with 7.2 grains of Bullseye. If you want to increase a bit over standard factory pressures 8 grains of Bullseye gives 1120 fps in my 4-5/8" Ruger and 1300 fps in my 20" carbine and shoots well. I would not increase the charge with Bullseye further, but 10 grains of Unique or 11 grains of Herco are also good proven Ruger loads.

Getting 970-875 rounds from a pound of Bullseye with a clean burning load having excellent ballistic uniformity is far preferable to me than getting only 375 rounds with #2400.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the point, unless you already have the #2400 powder and want to use it up. If THAT is the case, I think you will be disappointed trying to use it with bullets lighter than 250 grains, as that has been my experience.
    Plus one for Outpost75.

Vendor Sponsor

A .44 magnum does 1200 ~ 1350 fps with a 240gr boolit, so it is entirely possible to do this in a Redhawk chambered in .45 Colt.

Here is an exerpt from John Linebaugh's fine article "Gun Notes: The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Legend
    by John Linebaugh" Which can be found here:

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Attachment 170817

I would strictly advise against using more than 10.0gr Unique in the .45 Colt as above 10.0 gr Unique can be spiky and unpredictable. Call it an old wives tale, call it whatever you want, you can find load data with up to 13.0gr of Unique for .45 Colt, I personally will not go beyond 9.5gr I don't care WHO published the data or HOW thick the cylinder is.

I would also add that these loads are NOT SAFE in a medium framed Ruger Vaquero or Flattop Blackhawk. If it has a THREE DIGIT PREFIX in the serial number, it is only rated for 23,000psi and NOT rated for the Ruger Only/Thompson Contender load data.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

your 20gr load sounds fine.
    I run 19.5 under 255gr rnfp's [cast] with no problem.
    the only issue I'm seeing is your gonna have to put a cannelure on the bullet and roll crimp it to keep it in the case.
    I have done this same thing with the 230gr xtp which has no cannelure. [I have the tool]

they put the hollow point on the bullet to move the COG rearwards, this quite often enhances accuracy.
    the bullet may or may not open.
    I have run into this with nosler pistol ammo used for competition, some would open some wouldn't.
    thankfully I have a jacket scoring tool in my 44 mag swage set, and I could pre-cut the jackets then swage the nose back into shape around my hollow point spud to insure they opened.

Boolit Buddy
    Speer #9 (C) 1974, lists a max load of 19.3 gr of 2400 behind their 200 gr JHP , for 1272 fps, and 19.0 gr behind the 225 gr JHP for 1235 fps, both from a 7.5 " Blackhawk. Though both were JHP bullets, they were very different in construction, and intended purposes.

Accurate Arms currently lists loads using their #9 powder, which is very similar to 2400 in burn rate and charge weights, to drive a Barnes 225 XPB to 1362 fps, at 28,287 psi.Using their Enforcer powder, they give 1501 fps at 29497 fps for the same bullet, from a 7.26" barrel. I'm thinking that's a test barrel, and not a revolver.

I had to have one when I first saw the old Speer Data, and still have that 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk. In my youthful exuberance and ignorance, let's say the poor thing was more than adequately tested, and still shoots well after more than 60K rounds. You should have no trouble with your quest.

Boolit Master
    Forgive me for not saying thank you, before now, for your recommendations! The project sorta got "back-burnered" with family stuff, but I am back on the hunt, now. Again, thank you all!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!