RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 380set back

Country-Gent has it right. My 380 dies really size my brass down small. My loaded rounds have a coke bottle shape and a little taper crimp, finishes them up...

Boolit Master
    Dougguy I already knew I lacked neck tension and need a smaller sizing die.
    Initially misread your original post as the issue was 'Not neck tension) and was just tying to explain my reasoning to you.

Outpost75 you do have a point on the differing brass thickness and springback.
    I currently have 3 9mm/380 expander/powder funnels, .357", .354" .353"

But if I can seat a .355" bullet in a sized case without expanding it at all and without swaging down the bullet my first issue is with my sizing my cases.

Feedback from my other thread and some PM's shows that I am not the only one that has issues with an Oversize LEE sizing die and their lack of support.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    But if I can seat a .355" bullet in a sized case without expanding it at all and without swaging down the bullet my first issue is with my sizing my cases.
    That is what I meant by this comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    It matters that your bullets are too small for your cases and there is no tension or the cases are too large for the bullets and there is no tension.
    Once you find a resizing/decapping die that works well for you I think you will be in business. I have taken to just making an expander plug for whatever boolit size I am loading until the tension feels about right at the press.

I have a new project starting with .45 Schofield brass, and haven't yet even sized the first case or loaded the first round. SAAMI calls for a .454" boolit and I have .45 ACP, .45 Colt, and .45 Schofield die sets so I probably have enough variance in those to figure out which one is going to size correctly for .452" boolits. I am sure there will be different case tension with each die. I don't know if Lee made .45 Schofield die sets based on the SAAMI spec for .454" boolits or made them to use .452" but we will soon find out.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    Feedback from my other thread and some PM's shows that I am not the only one that has issues with an Oversize LEE sizing die and their lack of support.
    You are correct here. Like I mentioned earlier I would've already bought a 2nd kit and seen if I had the same issue. Mail it back to Amazon for a refund if it didn't fix it. I didn't know there was a difference at first....so assuming I had a lee turret press I needed lee dies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    You are correct here. Like I mentioned earlier I would've already bought a 2nd kit and seen if I had the same issue. Mail it back to Amazon for a refund if it didn't fix it. I didn't know there was a difference at first....so assuming I had a lee turret press I needed lee dies.
    Sigh, apparently I should've done more research. I'm now having the same issue with factory jacketed bullets vs my home cast loads. Little to no neck tension on the hornady xtp 90gr loads. I'll be ordering an undersize die for loading jacketed as well and hopefully it will fix my issue. I switched back to loading cast bullets and had no issues.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123