WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "New" Trapdoor

Boolit Master
    Just 1 round of each, 27 and 28 grains of H-4198, but should give you a ballpark idea. 27 grains, 1,187 fps, 28 grains 1,243 fps. I will try 29 and 30, but I don't think I will go any higher.

30 grains of H-4198 averaged 1,307 for 3 shots. Once I snip off 3" of barrel I will either have to up the charge or switch powders if I want to stay above 1,300 fps. If it's significantly more accurate at the lower charges that's fine too.
    Last edited by dubber123; 07-11-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That's interesting... My Lyman manual says 31 gr of IMR4198 in standard 32" TD will produce just over 1300 fps.

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    That's interesting... My Lyman manual says 31 gr of IMR4198 in standard 32" TD will produce just over 1300 fps.

Thanks!
    I don't have my Hodgdon manual handy, but I believe they list 31 grains of H-4198 as max with a 405, and listed velocity I think was 1,459 fps from a 24" barrel. Pressure was in the 18,000 Psi range, still rather low.

Boolit Buddy
    dubber,
    Just to encourage you along...(and to show off my gun! ) here are a couple photos of mine now that it's finished... Starting to work up loads as time permits.

Boolit Master
    Yours looks great! Mine shows a lot of use and neglect, but it's growing on me. I goofed when I ordered my front sight, it was way too short, attempt #2 is on the way. After the barrel is shortened, I will do a light cosmetic makeover, but it will still be far short of how yours looks. Good luck with the load workup, the bore on mine doesn't seem to be as loose as many report, which gives me many more mold options.

Boolit Mold
    Very cool. I have a similar rifle myself. It's a Model 1873 that started life as a rifle but was cut down to a carbine, as many were. I don't know the barrel length, I've never measured it, I guess I need to do that. The gun itself is in very good condition considering the normal wear to a gun that old. The barrel is in very good condition from what I'm told by folks who know these things. I had it looked at those same folks and they it was likely cut down in the late 1800's and was done by a very skilled gunsmith judging by the work done.

I was looking for a Sharps Carbine or a Springfield Carbine at the time but the prices for a "from the arsenal" carbine was out of my range and this cut down carbine came along so I went that route. Really glad I did, I love this gun. I think we've only shot 6 or 8 cartridges out of it but I was hooked. A friend who used to load for his made us up a handful of cartridges just to try it out and I don't even know where we hit but it was a hoot. There's just something about shooting a gun with so much history in it that fascinates me.

My birthday was a couple weeks ago and my sister bought me a book called "Loading Cartridges For The Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle And Carbine" written by J.S. and Pat Wolf. It's not the most well written book but it has to be the most informative. It contains information that is just amazing. It's basically the result of the author and his wife who spent years testing to develop the loads that work best in vintage Springfield's because they couldn't find good information anywhere else. It's extremely highly rated on Amazon and I have to agree. From what I've read it's full of incredible information including copies of original arsenal letters about the guns. Anyway, thought I would mention it because I think it's well worth the money for anyone shooting a vintage Springfield "trapdoor".

I don't know how to post pictures on here or if I'm even able to yet but I will at some point. Loved seeing those posted here

Super Moderator

............I suppose it was in the early 90's I picked up a M1884 TD rifle, that was in VG condition externally. The bore was close to toast. I sent it off to The Montana Rifleman for a new barrel. I'd called them and was told they had a 'Tracer Lathe' and could match the original barrel's contour. I also had them D&T all the pertinent places, and had them blue it. I'd sent the action for fitting.

When I got it back it it was wondrous to behold with it's gleaming new 6 groove barrel, and all shiny blued. The only thing I had to do was a bit of minor metal removal on the inside of the rear barrel band to get it to fit. I suppose the barrel was a tad larger in OD then 'Issue', but a fine tooth round file with judicious care remedied the issue. Shoots like a house afire now. No leading, and you can now easily hit whatshuraim'in at

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

So here is my experience with my own TD that has been cut down as well.

My 1884 fits me poorly as the stock is so high in the comb that I get smacked in the cheek when I sight through the sights. Guess being it is not stock OEM I should be able to carve it down to more comfortable fit.

Other then this ... I really like mine as well. Hope yours has the fun factor like mine has.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi tbx-4; Is that rifle made from the barreled action that I think I sold you? If it is it came
    out pretty nice. I wonder how some of these projects come out. Anyway nice job.
    webfoot10

Boolit Grand Master

I have two chopped TD's I left one with the "R" Buffington sight. The second one I purchased a 1879 carbine sight to maintain an earlier carbine appearance.

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/TrapdoorSights.html

I would love to find a "C" Buffington sight for my next build.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-14-2016 at 03:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    Good score! If it was mine I wouldn't change a thing. $250 and pretty darned accurate to boot.

Boolit Buddy
    Webfoot,
    No, the barreld action I got from you is soaking in ATF still. It's my winter project.
    This one above came from Gunbroker a bit later. I did use the trigger guard you sent with the lug ground off. The trigger guard plate is original to the rifle. Post #16 has some details of what was done to this rifle.
    The barrel on this carbine isn't near as good as the one I got from you but it's not a bad shooter with hand loads. I can hit an 8" steel plate at 100 yards off hand but it's not even close to moa. It'll put meat on the table though and that's what counts.
    Last edited by tbx-4; 08-19-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12