Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning rod suggestions

i bought these $5 cleaning rods at walmart the last time i was there, i think they were allen.

they are solid steel " coated" <<< its paint, not a coating, and i love them.

i bought 6 the other day. i leave them hooked up to attachments and built a little hanger to hold them all.

for my rifles, i made a " jig" that centers the rod town the crown to avoid hurting it. <<<<<<<<< its a cut 223 case
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Grand Master
    Dewey or Pro-Shot.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Have you considered or tried a coated pull cable such as Otis? That is what I use, from the breech and as you pull the patch through, you can feel the condition of the bore so much better & the cable is so much more portable. Not a rod, but I believe it to be better.
    Bob

I have never used a pull through rod. I might love it, but i have doubts enough that keeps me from purchasing one to try.

I'm another fan of Dewey. I wipe my rod off with every pass.

I've never tried one, but I like the look of the dewey brass rifle rods. I wonder what the longevity of them would be? Anyone have experience with them specifically?

Boolit Grand Master

I have made rod cases for my one piece rods to transport them and store them. On the match rifles cases one is fixed to the outside of them. A piece of PVC pipe the handle will easily fit into and long enough to hold it. A cap and female threaded end coupling ( remember the handle has to fit thru this also) I then make a insert with a hole slightly bigger than the cleaning rod and 3-4" long with a "funnel" going into it. This can be turned up from wood or a plastic funnel cut down and modified for it. Glue it all together pipe cap and female thread coupling with the insert also glued in. This insert holds the end of the rod and keeps it from rattling around. A handle can be fixed to it or it can be carried as is. the ones fastened to the rifle cases keep a dedicated rod with the rifle. Makes carrying a one piece rod a lot easier.

Boolit Master

I've only used M1, M-14, M-16, and 50BMG cleaning rods since the 1970's. Keep several of each around in the range bag and reloading area.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Sounds like a pretty good idea country gent, thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Makes carrying a 1 piece rod much easier and keeps them from being bent. The ones fastened to soft cases are simple stitched to the side of the case. On hard cases glued to a side out of the way. The universals have a simple rope handle wrapped around them. I even use them in the gun room to store cleaning rods to protect from damage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12