Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning rod suggestions

Cleaning rod suggestions

I've been using hoppes sectional cleaning rods, and a vintage rod of similar design, made from aluminum. I've used a kleenbore rod, made of steel. I liked the rod, but didnt like that it was steel.

I've done some searching at brownells, and amazon, and havent been able to find anything that really suits me, so, i figured i'd ask here for suggestions.

Id like the rod to be sectional, and to be either of brass or aluminum, and to be of high quality.

Thanks for any suggestions.

~Bazoo

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer carbon fiber or SS personally. The sectionals can "ding" a barrel or receiver if they flex and cross over a joint, especially if it isn't snugged up. I've also noticed that aluminum seems to have grit and fouling embed in it. I also like them to have permanently attached handles on a ball bearing or some sort of set up that allows it to spin.

My favorites I use the most are Dewey Carbon Fiber and Montana XTreme coated steel rods

J Dewey coated rods are my favorite.

Boolit Grand Master

I have mostly Dewy Rods I perfer them actually. They are normally a hardened rod and coated. I also have a couple Parker Hales that are good. I have montana extreme 1 rod that is nice but its long and kind of a pain to handle. Jointed rods can be handy but the joints can have sharp edges that scratch and scrape. The threaded joints can be a weak spot if not properly made. For a range rod / cleaning try the otis pull thru cable set its compact, stores well cleans all calibers rifle shot gun and handgun. The Otis system is really a complete cleaning set up in a small package. Things to watch for in a cleaning rod are threads Male or female, size and threads per inch, coated un coated, Dia of rod. I perfer to use the largest rod possible in the caliber Im cleaning since theres less flex. I use a 22 cal rod for 22 243 25 calibers then a heavier one for 270-35 calibers and an even heavier one for 38-50 cal barrels. On rifles that can be cleaned from the breech a rod guide is a big benifit. This can be as simple as a case with the primer pocket drilled out to fit the rod. A muzzle protector for ones that have to be cleaned from the muzzle helps alot also. A simple cleaning rod case can be made from PVC pipe a solid cap a threaded adapter and a threaded plastic plug. 1-1/2" pvc is normally big enough for the handle on the cleaning rod. Cut tube longenough to hold entire length of rod glue cap on one end and thread adapter on other let cure. insert rod and thread plug in rod is now safe and secure. A handle can be added or it can be attached to a hard cases side.

Boolit Master
    You really owe it to yourself to look at the new Tipton Max-Force cleaning rod. It is one piece but it is carbon fiber...and it has a really unique sliding handle. I bought one and now I'm a convert. It's easier to link to a video that shows how it works but it absolutely works!....Shock!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XXD1xXzqCA
    [

I am aware of the benefits of a 1 piece rod. I normally slightly radius the edges of the sections so they dont scratch when using a sectional rod. I want a sectional rod for the convenience of keeping my cleaning gear in a box, and being able to take it with me as needed.

I havent ever tried the otis kit, but i've checked them out and didnt really like the notion. I simply prefer a traditional rod.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one in my high power stool and in my hunting coat pocket. Ive used them to tap out a stuck bullet a couple times. You dont push but just slide it down to bulllet and start tapping with light blows and a rapid pace and pretty soon youve got the bullet moving and then its out. They work and are easy. the Little canvas case holds everything for most calibers gauges in a pocket sized package.

Banned
    As previously stated a sectional rod is not ideal. Moving on to the material the rod is made of, that debate is also pretty old.
    The two major schools of thought are a soft rod of aluminum or brass will not harm the bore itself but abrasive debris could become embedded in that soft rod and the debris might harm the bore. A steel rod is less likely to get abrasive debris embedded in it but there is concern that the rod itself could harm the bore (mostly the breach and muzzle areas).

I don't think we will ever get a conclusive resolution of those two schools of thought.
    I like a brass rod for .25 caliber bores and larger. I keep the rod clean and have never had a problem with brass rods.
    For the smaller bores, steel is almost a necessity due to the need for more strength in that smaller rod. For my .22 caliber rifles I prefer a coated steel rod and also try to keep the rods clean.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    You really owe it to yourself to look at the new Tipton Max-Force cleaning rod. It is one piece but it is carbon fiber...and it has a really unique sliding handle. I bought one and now I'm a convert. It's easier to link to a video that shows how it works but it absolutely works!....Shock!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XXD1xXzqCA
    Hadn't seen that one. I will have to give it a try.

I spent the money and bought a Montana Extreme rod this year. It is expensive but it is a good quality coated steel rod. Only complaint I have with it thus far is that from new the threaded end was rough and I couldn't screw anything into it. I ran a tap through it and that cleaned it up. For what it cost I should not have to do that but have not had any other problems.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had a couple of uncoated Dewey rods for years. They still work very well; grit doesn't get imbedded like can theoretically happen with aluminum of coated rods, just wipe them off once in a while when using them.

Robert

Dewey Rods haven't tried the Montana Extreme but look good.
    Charlie

Boolit Master
    I make my own. Some are stainless and are coated with heat shrink tubing to protect the bores. Others are brass and are not covered. I use aluminum to make the handles and all have a ball bearing for free rotation. I try to get the largest rod that will fit in the bore with the covering on to cut down on the flexing. I think the carbon fiber rods are better, but the question of grit may still be a factor, plus they are a bit pricey. Just my opinion, tho.

I havent found any cleaning rods that suit me yet. Closest i've found is some vintage stuff off ebay.

Boolit Master

jointed and aluminum is about the 2 worst things you can have in a cleaning rod. ok for the hunting kit, but not for any kind of regular use. i prefer polished hardened steel like a dewey.

I have a 22 pistol that I had to take the scope off of to give it a good cleaning. I tried a bore snake and I love it for that application.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    J Dewey coated rods are my favorite.
    same here

Boolit Bub
    Dewey are good rods. But I think the best rods are Ivy

Dewy and Montana Extreme are the best two that I have tried.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Use heat shrink tubing over the rod of your choice,no metal to metal contact and it is very durable.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast