Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some say I'm outdated but I still like the Weatherby Mark V rifles

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    One of the best that you could buy from over the counter and go to the field with.
    I agree with that. I have a USA made Mark V in 257 Weatherby Magnum with the synthetic stock that has the aluminum bedding block, and it is one of the very few bolt action rifles I have ever owned that didn't need any tuning, tinkering or trigger work right out of the box. Put a 4-12x Leupold scope on it, bought a box of factory Weatherby ammo (ouch) to zero and chronograph, bought some empty brass to reload, and it is a tack driver.

I have taken deer out to 400 yards (lasered) with it using Nosler 110 gr Accubonds @ 3400fps. It has light recoil about like a 270 Winchester. Absolutely great rifle.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    When I was young, I was always in awe of anyone with a Weatherby rifle. I think they are great guns and you are a lucky person to own one. Nothing wrong with owning a Weatherby anything.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Yesiree bob! Monte Carlo stock with cheek piece,skip line checkering, contrasting forearm tip, a neat white diamond inlaid in the stock and gloss on gloss. LUV UM!

Well, I have two sets of real Weatherby dies, 240 and 270, which is about as close as I'll ever come to owning a Weatherby.

My dream Weatherby was the 224 which I wanted to rebarrel to .17. Even went so far as to have a custom reamer made in 17-224 Weatherby, radius shoulders and all, just in case a 224 should drop on me from the heavens. Never happened, but I still have the reamer and a batch of brass. Dang it, now it looks like I have another project for the "Winter List" However it will probably have to be on a REM 700 since I for **** sure can't afford a Weatherby 224.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    I believe the Weatherbys are still cutting edge hunting rifles.
    Roy was ahead of his time.
    I have the Accumark in .270 Weatherby mag.

On a side note I have never been able to handload the ammo to equal the Weatherby factory loads .

The factory 130gr Hornady spire point gets 3600 fps out of my rifle.
    Weatherby is using a powder that is not available for aftermarket sale.

It looks, smells,and tastes like Norma MRP, but it is not the same powder.

Boolit Master

Clay, are you sure about the velocity with a 130gr bullet?
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Clay, are you sure about the velocity with a 130gr bullet?
    That is what my chronograph read .
    It is an old Oehler 33 and I have never had it give false readings or what I thought was false .

My handloads run around 3300 to 3400 . That is the best I have been able to do so far.

I had a used Mk V in 257, it was like new. A buddy of mine just had to have it,so I traded in to
    him complete with Weatherby scope. He was so proud of that rifle he got to be a pain in the butt.
    He would never carry it where it might get a scratch. He carried it in case to stand and back.Over
    the years he lost chance on deer, because his gun was cased.

Boolit Grand Master
    My buddy won one in .270 from my club. I've only won a ML Black Diamond at a raffle. Still------------I'm ahead of the game. Would rather have won the .270.

In Remembrance

Duke, if you ever run across an early Kleingunther K-15 Instafire then you`ll be looking at a child of the Weatherby family. Bob Kleingunther was Roy Weatherby`s head gun smith in Germany. Bob went on his own in Seguin Tx when Weatherby moved back to Ca. In 1979 my brother had Bob make up a 7 Rem. Mag K-15 for him. No sights on it and it looked like a Mk 5 if you squinted a bit. Back then it cost $1000.00 to own one. They were guaranteed to shoot factory ammo under 1" for 5 shots at 100 yds from his shop. It took me 6 months to make up a humdinger of a load for it. It would print 3 rounds of my load into 1 single hole at 250 yds! I sent Bob all the data from my loads on every item I used. He remarked that he knew he made an accurate rifle - just really impressed him what dedicated loads can do.Robert

Boolit Master
    In the late 1950s my brother and I visited Weatherby's store in South Gate, Ca. The Mark V had come out by then and they had a catalog with great pictures and descriptions of how the rifle came about. I still have my copy. If the rifle copied any other action it was the rifle made by Buffalo Arms, complete with mutable locking lugs. The Buffalo action did have a claw extractor while the Mark V does not, otherwise they are very close in design. I had a very good friend who had a Mark V in 240 with the Weatherby 3-9 scope and I thought it was gorgeous. He passed away and his widow offered it to me for $500 but with a kid in collage there was no way I could buy it. One of her neighbors bought it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I approve Duke. Timeless classic.

I like the 416 and the 460. The 460 would be my favorite.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    I like the 416 and the 460. The 460 would be my favorite.
    The .460 should have adequate recoil to loosen your bridgework.

I had a .458 win mag for a while ,and it was plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    The .460 should have adequate recoil to loosen your bridgework.

I had a .458 win mag for a while ,and it was plenty.

It doesn't have to be loaded that hot. 1800 to 2000 fps is just fine.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 06-28-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    I was tuning the .458 up hoping to go to Africa ,so I wanted to see what it would do.

I think I liked the .416 Rem better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12