Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: RS press ?

Boolit Master

RS press ?

Cleaned up my RS press yesterday that I got at a yard sale about 3 years ago. On top behind the die hole is stamped the number 80. Any idea what it means? The seller said it was less than 5 years old.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 06-22-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Year of mfg, 1980.

Boolit Master

Thanks, suspected that was a possibility.

Boolit Grand Master

If its a cast frame press then the number could be a identification for the cavity it came from (or the form used to lay up the sand for it). These are cast in a "tree" of parts depending on how many fit in the die or box. Forging also have a number somewhere that designates the forge dies it came from.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I would say, a STAMPED 2 digit number on the unpainted "boss" at the top/die screw in local will be a, year of manufacture.

Numbers cast in,(as was said, cast lot#) on the side-painted/powder coated, not so much!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master

What's an RS press ?

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I stole this from a post by PRESSMAN!

Your RS press is an evolution of the Jr series of presses. The Jr2 is the RCBS answer to the need for a smaller and less costly press for handgunners and small caliber rifle reloaders. (there is no Jr or Jr1 press). It is a very good press. The Jr3 is the stronger, reinforced version of the Jr 2. The handle and toggle block would occasionally break on the Jr 2 so it was beefed up. This brings us to the early 1980's and the marketing people are comming up with new ideas. With the introduction of the Jr 2 RCBS had offered a package deal of the press, dies, shellholder and maybesomething else, called the Reloader Special. Eventually the Jr3 became the RS, Relaoder Special sometime around 1980-81. However, it was short lived and soon replaced with a swing arm press called the RS2 around 1983-84. I have some gaps in my catalog collection so dates are approximate as taken from the Handloader's Digest.

The Jr2 name comes from Junior size press and second effort to market such a press. The Model B was the first effort and it flopped because it was WAY too costly to make, besides being a bad design.

Ken
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.