Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Seating Stem--Lyman 30-30 Wincester Die...

Boolit Master

Question Seating Stem--Lyman 30-30 Wincester Die...

I e-mailed Lyman about a seating stem for a set of their 30-30 Winchester dies, but got no reply at all…

I am looking for a stem that would seat a 311041. The stem that came with the die set is for round nose slugs. I want one for the flat nose on the 311041…

Any thoughts or part number for that nose profile?...

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Master

Use epoxy or bedding compound to adapt your stem to the bullet. Wax a bullet, put a dab of epoxy on the stem, and then seat the bullet. Let it set up before removing from the die. If it is reluctant to come apart, put it in the freezer overnight and then take apart.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Use epoxy or bedding compound to adapt your stem to the bullet. Wax a bullet, put a dab of epoxy on the stem, and then seat the bullet. Let it set up before removing from the die. If it is reluctant to come apart, put it in the freezer overnight and then take apart.
    Well, I gave that some thought, but I want to keep the original seating stem as it is for round nose bullets. I do load an occasional Hornady 150 round nose for an old Marlin 336 that was my dad's. A bit of nostalgia I guess. It shoots them well...

I did go to the Lyman site and they show seating stems, but when I go to order one, it doesn't show up on the "add to cart" page...

Guess I could just purchase a round nose one and do the epoxy thing, but I am sure Lyman makes one for flat noses...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman used to offer seating screws that fit specific bullets (similar to top punches). The correct seating stem (or screw) is #8. I don't know if you can find one, though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rwadley View Post
    Lyman used to offer seating screws that fit specific bullets (similar to top punches). The correct seating stem (or screw) is #8. I don't know if you can find one, though.
    Yep, #8 is the part number and you can specify the type of profile you want--see post #3...

But, I can't find the #8 on the Lyman site so I can order it...

BCB

Boolit Buddy
    Coincidentally, "8" is the profile for the appropriate bullet seating stem (and top punch) as well as the part number on the schematic.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

My die is a Lee and yes the seating stem leaves a ring on the bullet. But it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Send it to me and I will turn it dead flat in the lathe...no charge.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Would a Redding seating stem fit the lyman die? I think they're both 1/2" threaded. Redding would probably be easier to locate a specific plug.

Boolit Master

Well, I finally got a reply back from Lyman after a couple of weeks and they indicated "You could use the 465 seating screw. Part number 7121465".

Guess I'll try to find one, or probably order it...

Anybody have a spare 465 seating stem just collecting dust?!!!!

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

I filled my RN stem with epoxy , let cure and sanded it flat. Flat stem will also seat round nose boolits with just a small flat spot on the boolit nose, looks better than that ring. The epoxy is easy to remove, popped mine out with a small screwdriver. Sure beats looking all over creation , ordering stems that are supposed to fit....they usually don't. Ordering stems plus the postage gets expensive. Epoxy Putty also works and is easy to remove.
    Sorry no 465 in my stash...I just have the epoxy filled RN that came with the 30-30 die set.
    Gary

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I use Lyman 30-30 dies and the 311041. The seating punch is #366 and it works beautifully with the flat cast bolts. What # are you looking for? If you knew the number they might pay more attention to your email. Got curious and looked at my Lyman 32-20 dies, the seating punch is 365S would work but may be short; I think that's what the "S" means.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    I use Lyman 30-30 dies and the 311041. The seating punch is #366 and it works beautifully with the flat cast bolts. What # are you looking for? If you knew the number they might pay more attention to your email. Got curious and looked at my Lyman 32-20 dies, the seating punch is 365S would work but may be short; I think that's what the "S" means.
    Lyman told me the seating screw (stem) number is 465...
    (See post #10)

Apparently, the number 366 is specifically for flat nose boolits? Does it let a ring on the nose? I want to use it with the 311041 also...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I filled my RN stem with epoxy , let cure and sanded it flat. Flat stem will also seat round nose boolits with just a small flat spot on the boolit nose, looks better than that ring. The epoxy is easy to remove, popped mine out with a small screwdriver. Sure beats looking all over creation , ordering stems that are supposed to fit....they usually don't. Ordering stems plus the postage gets expensive. Epoxy Putty also works and is easy to remove.
    Sorry no 465 in my stash...I just have the epoxy filled RN that came with the 30-30 die set.
    Gary
    Yea, I know that can be done, but I would just like a seating stem for the flat nose profile boolits. I would use it with the 308 Winchester also as I have Lyman dies for it also...

Interesting is the fact that these die sets are nearly 30 years old and I am now loading cast with them. Previously, many many years ago, it was jacketed bullets. So the round nose stem worked for the 30-30 and the stem that came with the 308 dies is for pointed bullets...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

For future reference check the chart in Lyman #4 Cast manual. It has crossover references for the Lyman top punch needed for Lee and RCBS bullets.

Boolit Buddy

Interesting, I e-mailed Redding last Wed that I misplaced my 40-65 de-capping pin, stem and bolt the holds it in place and requested the cost including shipping. They replied the same day and said they were mailing a new one- no cost! Wow!
    Great customer service- yes I will continue to buy Redding!!
    Jim

Boolit Bub
    I had a similar experience last week. Sent an email asking about a seater plug for my 30-30 Redding die set, to use Hornady FTX bullets to simulate the lever-evolution rounds for my 336xlr. They replied, yes a #7 seating stem will work for that, and mailed me one for free in two days. Haven't tried it yet, but was pleasantly surprised.

Boolit Master

I think part of that free service from Redding is the initial price of the dies are much pricier than the Lyman dies. I can probably get a seating stem for my Lyman dies and still have less money invested in them than the Redding dies…

Maybe the Redding dies will load a more accurate 30-30 Winchester cartridge, but I doubt that as my Lyman dies have reloaded some darn accurate rounds for the 308, Waters, and 30-30…

Lyman did send me some of the washers used to hold the screw in place on their molds. Not much I will admit, but they did send them free of charge…

RCBS has sent me some free stuff also…

Anyhow, guess I will need to order a stem as there is certainly no place where I live that would even come close to stocking an item like that…

Good-luck…BCB