WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a savage a22 today

Banned

And.......Academy won't take it back!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Do you have a Marlin Model 60? They are in the same family it seems. The parts fiche I've looked at for the 922 are very similar to the 60. Pull the 2 screws on the trigger guard and the action should come out of the stock.
    Yeah, I got that part but the trigger group doesn't come off the same and some, but not all, the guts are the same but not enough to just use a m60 as a guide. Need info about an actual real 922 like I said. Thanks but sorry, that won't work.

Boolit Master
    Well the receiver and bolt should come away from the two action plates that hold the feed throat, hammer and springs. It looks backwards from the 60. The cross pin that is to be removed is between the barrel and the bolt, while the ears that rest on a permanent pin or notch are on the rear of the action plates. Once the bottom action screws, which are located on the bottom of the stock, are removed, the receiver and the action can be removed from the top of the stock.

Boolit Master
    You have to watch for the bolt stop spring falling out from the receiver when you pull the front pin out. Got it apart and back together. Found a good 1/32" of solid sludge built up under the extractor. Now it will be gripping that rim! Didn't have time for a test drive and this week is a busy one but looks like just a lot of crud built up. Should be able to get out towards the end of the week I'm hoping!

Boolit Master
    Couldn't stand it any longer so got out and ran just shy of 100 rounds thru my Marlin 922. The Hornady 30 grain ammo did the best and the gun ran fine without a hickup. I guess the crud buildup under the extractor was the culprit in my case.

There's a guy on Youtube (Cavedweller) who shoots a couple of Savage autoloaders, one being a .22 WMR and the other a .17 HMR. He swears by glass bedding a Boyd's stock and has pretty good results that way. Just something else to look at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12