Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a savage a22 today

Boolit Master

Bought a savage a22 today

$389 @ Academy Sports. Disassembled and cleaned thouroughly, lubed and reassembled. Mounted an older Redfield 3x9. Mag is a little funky to load but figure it will loosen some. Bore sighted and ready to go. 1st shot failed to eject w/HV ammo. 2nd shot ejected but cartridge didn't seat all the way.....and so on. 3 kinds of HV ammo all avout the same. Some of each did not fire although solid firing pin strike. Several hang-ups as well. Finally shot enough to site in and a decent group @ 50 yds but generally a crappy episode. Now I notice a lot of brass shavings in the receiver that without my glasses I thought was unburnt powder. Who's got some advice for getting this thing running right?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

cleaned again, same story...about the worst money I ever spent it seems. Sent back to Savage on their dime so we'll see, but all bad so far.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

That's a bummer

Sounds like a lemon, they should give you a new rifle and test it before the ship it.

I had a Marlin semi .22 WMR, (922M) functioned great, beautiful wood. but bulky. Shot 3/4" at 50. Awful trigger that was levers upon levers--beyond my tuning abilities.
    Last edited by blixen; 06-30-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Master

Got the rifle back today, no note of what they did, if anything but did have a new rotary magazine along with the original. Reattached scope, loaded 10 in each magazine and out to target. Chambered one and fired, next one clicked. Shucked it out and fired 5 without trouble then click. The next three fired fine. New mag, chambered a round and fired and the mag fell out. Managed to fire the other 9 without incident. Looked it over and there are still brass shaving in the action. Touched up the mouth of chamber with emery cloth, worked the bolt 100 times, lubed a touch. Managed to fire 18 of next 20 without trouble, but a poor 1 1/2" group at 50 yds off good rest and 9x. Maybe more shooting will smooth things out, but all-in-all this is a real junker. The stock is really crappy plastic as is the charging handle. The adjustable trigger is pretty squishy. Half the rotary mag is plastic too. Mag pretty tricky to load. Wish I could be more positive but this may help someone looking to buy. I love 22 Mag caliber. The Win JHPs (1910) fps blew out the background of the rough true 2" x 4" dry pine board I was shooting. Maybe it will "shoot in" and if so will look to buy a boyd's stock for replacement.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

CCI is making A22 ammo, I bought some recently, 200 round box ~ $55. Suppose to be made for the A22 rifle. This is the first 22 mag amm I've seen in 2 yrs. Tim

Boolit Master

Better results today....shot 2 of the rotary mags (10 rds each) at 50 yds. No hang-ups the first mag, only one on the second, yay! Progress. Group tightening up a bit too, so appears shooting is good for this rifle.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Super Moderator

...........Would be nice to WHAT Savage you bought? Heck, a couple years ago my neighbor and I both bought Savage M64 semi auto's on sale at Big 5 for $149 (plus tax and California nonsense fees). We took them down for inspection, cleaned and oiled'em and they ran like a clock. Not the most accurate 22RF I own, but adequate. Only issue with them is the cast zinc (non-magnetic) magazine. Easy to fill, faster to empty out , but longevity of the mag may be an issue.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

The new A22 wmr
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I was thinking Savage but purchased a Ruger 10-22,It is a Christmas present for my grand son so we haven't fired it yet,the gunshop bore sighted but my plans are to get him outside and let him make all the adjustments himself to learn about the workings of a gun.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Ran both mags thru today with CCI maximag jhp. Nary hiccup.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Not unheard of to need a break in on a rimfire.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

Just updating this thread...
    I truly love the .22 Wmr, has proved itself to me over 45 yrs as an accurate and effective small/medium game cartridge. My frustration with this A22 was magnified because of this. However, I finally got this little jewel to operate as advertised and and I love it. Light weight but sort of junky imo as are all plastic guns seem to me. I wound up polishing the sharp edge of the chamber with super fine sand paper and finding the right ammo, and it is NOT the HV 30 gr stuff. Aquila Silver Eagle 40 gr jacketed soft point now available in quantitiy at local Cabelas and online works great. My last outing was shooting off hood of truck in a hard and gusty left to right cross wind at paper in open field. First mag I revealed about 4" drift to right, so held for windage for 50 shots and all but a few were in a 3" circle as wind gusted and laid, really tough conditions. Absent the wind this gun will shoot as good as I am with a very high confidence level. It is really my "smile" gun now as I have laid in ample ammo. Through the years I have killed a coyote at about 130 yds, numerous armadillos, a doe in the ear at 100 (legal nuisance deer with permit,) a gobbler and a mallard at about the same (ok, young and dumb), most recently a crow at 90 yds ranged and a bunch of squirrels in the head. Great caliber and as it seems now a reliable rifle.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Picked up one of their synthetic stocked .22 LR bolt actions on sale years ago, apparently one of the last before they started using that weird looking trigger.
    At first it shot patterns instead of groups. I checked the bedding first thing and found that there was an indentation on the outside of the barrel channel edge and matching lump on the inside. I wrapped a piece of sandpaper around the barrel and dragged it back and forth till the lump was gone. After that the rifle turned out to be the most accurate bolt action .22 I've ever fired. Never had any other issues with it, a great little rifle.

To improve the balance I store a spare mag, a tin box full of ammo, a pull through and a small pocket knife under the butt plate, all wrapped in squares and strips of soft cloth I use for cleaning patches to pad it all securely. Been meaning to add a rubber gasket to water proof the storage area. I may replace the butt plate screws with sturdy snaps, I have some meant for use on tonneau covers.

One thing I noticed when I had the action out of the stock, there was black dust in every nook and cranny, perhaps left from the casting process they used for making the stock. Seems like they could at least clean these stocks before mounting them.

As for the subject of the thread a rifle that costs that much should have had zero problems much less this string of gremlins. I'd have demanded my money back and not taken no for an answer.
    When I pay good money for a product I expect a reasonable performance without my having to work and sweat at making it work.

I've seen WW2 films on manufacture of the M1 Carbine where they clamped a finished carbine in a rest and racked the actions dozens of times to ensure that everything was operating as it should.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    $389 @ Academy Sports. Disassembled and cleaned thouroughly, lubed and reassembled. Mounted an older Redfield 3x9. Mag is a little funky to load but figure it will loosen some. Bore sighted and ready to go. 1st shot failed to eject w/HV ammo. 2nd shot ejected but cartridge didn't seat all the way.....and so on. 3 kinds of HV ammo all avout the same. Some of each did not fire although solid firing pin strike. Several hang-ups as well. Finally shot enough to site in and a decent group @ 50 yds but generally a crappy episode. Now I notice a lot of brass shavings in the receiver that without my glasses I thought was unburnt powder. Who's got some advice for getting this thing running right?
    Can't say exactly about your rifle but here is some information about the chamber of a 922m Marlin that I just picked up off of GunBroker.

It was functioning perfectly until one round got stuck in the chamber after firing. After knocking it out with the cleaning rod, I took a look at the chamber and this is what I saw. Since I haven't managed to find this doing a Google search, I thought it would be worthy of a posting. I remember seeing something along these lines in an AMT Automag .22 pistol. They had a bunch of little holes drilled into the chamber where powder gas would come in and kind of squeeze the case so it would extract I assume. All I can tell you is that this thing would stop working after a box of ammo. Carburetor cleaner and compressed air fixed it up for another box or so. I think any ejection problems may be due to the accumulation of junk in the chamber.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190907_054728.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	247940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190907_054728.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	247940 Here's a couple of pics of the inside of the chamber along with a fired case out of my Marlin.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190907_055025.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	247939

Boolit Master
    That looks like micro groove rifling in the chamber.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    That looks like micro groove rifling in the chamber.
    Doesn't it!
    Going out to see if I can put a box or two thru it without it getting a round stuck in the chamber after cleaning it out.

I never knew the 922M had a fluted chamber. Perhaps that’s why they were discontinued. I was excited to shoot a friends HK . 22 mag auto years ago and while function was 100%(H&K)- accuracy was non existent. It would not group.

Boolit Master
    Well, that cleaning of the chamber didn't help. I took a look at the stuck case after I pushed it out from the front. Looks like the extractor isn't really getting much of a grip on the case rim. Guess I'll have to figure out how it comes apart without breaking anything.

Anyone know of a place that would have these instructions, or even instructions on a camp carbine would work I'm told?
    The Marlin site doesn't have it, I already checked. The Marlin Site doesn't really even work anymore since they are not Marlin anymore.

Boolit Master
    Do you have a Marlin Model 60? They are in the same family it seems. The parts fiche I've looked at for the 922 are very similar to the 60. Pull the 2 screws on the trigger guard and the action should come out of the stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast