MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy or Make Gas Checks? Help Decide

I did is look at how much I will shoot of one cal in a years time and how much I use .and for how it looks for me that I am better off buy them made and get a supply of them for what I want and then go with that. I do not go through alot of them in a years time so I see I am better off to just buy them. I use now mainly Gator Checks. They are less then the hornady that is the same set up.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I started making checks three years ago and have made and shot thousands in 30 cal for 3 different calibers and again thousands in 6.5 X 55 Swede. It has been the way to go for me and my shooting needs.

Thumbs up

Nice workmanship and results, dimaprok!

I don't use a lot of gas checks but find it cheaper to make them with a "free chexs" type toool than to buy. Doing so also means I am never out when I need them. It is a long way to the gas check store. The free checks tools make the job practical; the Pat Marlin not so much.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Dimaprok,
    I like how your Gas Checks are full diameter and don't take a "bite" off the edge of the strip. A lot of the home made gas checks I have seen (and bought some) have a chunk out of the edge due to the die.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I do both, sometimes just to see the difference, the home made ones work great

For me, that's where I have drawn the line. I enjoy casting and reloading, struggle thru lubing/sizing, but not making my own checks. Maybe someday? I did get some 'plain based' checks from 'n.h.schmidt' a while back. I like 'gator checks', usually from NOE Molds. I use mostly 8mm checks. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I have several boxes of "bought" checks in three different calibers, and I did buy a FCII many years ago. Charlie sent me a mandrel for a rifle, but I needed one for a pistol, so he sent one. It's for .45 cal boolits, as at that time I had a Ruger Blackhawk convertible .45 Colt / .45 A.C.P. I got a wild hare up my nether parts and took a check that I made for the .45 and stuck it on a .44 mag boolit and sized and lubed it. Low and behold it worked just fine! As stated earlier, I did buy an arbor press from Harbor Freight to make the checks with, and found that if I took a plain Pepsi can and folded it over, them mashed the crease flat with the arbor press and cut the checks from that, it worked really well, no change in accuracy at all, nor did the aluminum separate.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12