Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the correct port pressure for the Garand?

Boolit Master

What is the correct port pressure for the Garand?

I know the Garand was designed to operate at about 50Kpsi chamber pressure, but what is the proper pressure range for the gas port? I'm trying to check powders and charges on Quickload, and want to know which ones are a good choice to operate the action, without overtaxing the gas system. Thanks in advance.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Grand Master

I am out of town and I don't have my references handy but if memory serves me correctly it's 6,000 to 8,000 psi.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I am out of town and I don't have my references handy but if memory serves me correctly it's 6,000 to 8,000 psi.
    That sounds correct to me. I don't trust memory much anymore at my age...

I know that if you stick to 4064, RL15 or Varget and load 175 Sierra MK to get 2640 +/- 30 fps you are OK, but slower powders will bend the op rod and faster ones will go over-pressure before you reach 2600. In LC Match brass 46.5 grs. of 4064 or Varget or 47 grs. of RL15 is a good place to check using WLR primers, and tweak from there to get your desired velocity to approximate M72. Increase the charge 1.5 grains with 150-grain bullets to approximate Ball M2.

Today's IMR4064 tracks closely in charge/pressure to old military IMR4895 made before 1975. Current 4895 is too fast for 175-grain bullets in the Garand, but works OK with 150-grainers, 48 grains to approximate Ball M2 in LC brass.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I'm looking to use cast boolits loaded light enough so that they juuuust operate the action. Light recoiling and accurate.

Boolit Master

28grns of RL7 under a 311299 looks pretty good. 1809fps, with a 5925psi port pressure. Has anybody tried that load, or something close?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use 40 grains of 4064 with HM2-.311-160-5 to reliably cycle my Garand,for 2200 fps.

Tried 30 grs. of RL7 with #311299 and would not cycle.

Should add that my rifle was a CMP rebuild with new spring kit.

If your springs are old the charge can be reduced, many people have good results with 35 -36 grains.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-20-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I've found that 33 to 35 grains of 4895 or 4064 under a 190 to 210 grain boolit functions reliably and is accurate in my Garands. I personally like the 311334 or 311299 Lyman designs and they fall into the above weight range.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    I'm looking to use cast boolits loaded light enough so that they juuuust operate the action. Light recoiling and accurate.
    If you Read Bruce B Work on the M1a A Very high percentage of the powders Bruce used should Work in the M1 grand
    if he found it did not work in a 308 it probaly will not work in a 30-06
    the same for Boolits but in the 30-06 some of the heaver ones should work better

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pringfield-M1A

you might have to add 1-2 grains of powder from Bruce loads -- ie 308 to 30-06 (I do not load 30-06 so you will have to do your own research and look for your own data --Some one on here will load cast for 30-06 and will have posted some data

of the cast bullets/ load data Bruce used should give you something to look at

if you push them too fast you will loose Accuracy

Boolit Buddy

+1 , and they land at 3:00 about 3' away in a nice little pile PING!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I've found that 33 to 35 grains of 4895 or 4064 under a 190 to 210 grain boolit functions reliably and is accurate in my Garands. I personally like the 311334 or 311299 Lyman designs and they fall into the above weight range.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    That sounds correct to me. I don't trust memory much anymore at my age...

I know that if you stick to 4064, RL15 or Varget and load 175 Sierra MK to get 2640 +/- 30 fps you are OK, but slower powders will bend the op rod and faster ones will go over-pressure before you reach 2600. In LC Match brass 46.5 grs. of 4064 or Varget or 47 grs. of RL15 is a good place to check using WLR primers, and tweak from there to get your desired velocity to approximate M72. Increase the charge 1.5 grains with 150-grain bullets to approximate Ball M2.

Today's IMR4064 tracks closely in charge/pressure to old military IMR4895 made before 1975. Current 4895 is too fast for 175-grain bullets in the Garand, but works OK with 150-grainers, 48 grains to approximate Ball M2 in LC brass.
    New IMR-4895 seems to work pretty good with Sierra 180gr BT Match bullets. I was using the start load from Hornady's Garand specific data so your statement may be true if top end velocity is wanted.

Motor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    Getting a Garand (any gas operated semi-auto) to shoot both accurately and operate reliably is a balancing act and I've found the heavier projectiles between 195 and 210 grains to be more efficient in this regards. Remember that the Garand was designed for jacketed bullets at much higher pressures than we normally use with cast boolits.

In previous threads, mention was made of using 4350 powder with cast boolits to up the port pressure. Perhaps this is an option, although with light boolits, it might not combust well for good accuracy or ballistic uniformity.

One of my projects this summer is to try and get the 170 grain Lyman 311041 (30/30 design) to shoot well in my Garands after a similar question to yours was posted a few months ago.

For light loads in the Garand that do not produce enough port pressure, you might consider an adjustable or vented gas cylinder plug. With it opened fully, you can then operate your Garand manually. While not achieving your goal to "juuust operate the action," it may achieve good accuracy for you as well as light recoil.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-22-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Pretty good memory guys . . .

As the M2s original 42,000psi pushes the bullet down the bore, the increasing volume between the chamber and the bullet drops the pressure to about 8,000psi near the muzzle, where a port taps off about 6,000psi (+/- 2,000psi)4 worth of that to operate the Garand’s gas system.

Commercial ammo may have different pressures...

The Hornady Reloading Handbook 7th edition recommended M1 loads are all safe to use.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm

http://www.guns.com/2011/08/16/the-s...garand-part-i/

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator Emeritus

one of the Schuster adjustable gas plugs is a big help for getting good cycling out of different loads
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    Somewhere on the net, there is an actual TABLE showing gas port pressure for various Garand loads. Including cast. I have seen reference to this, but have had no luck in finding the table... Anyone know?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Master

After reviewing commonly accepted loads on Quickload, they all have been around 9500 psi at 22" from the breech. I use that measurement because I figure that's approx where the gas port is on the Garand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    I do not have Quickload.

Quickload costs $150 +, AFAIK?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Master

Yes, somewhere around there. But it is a super fun toy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    "If you Read Bruce B Work on the M1a A Very high percentage of the powders Bruce used should Work in the M1 grand
    if he found it did not work in a 308 it probaly will not work in a 30-06
    the same for Boolits but in the 30-06 some of the heaver ones should work better"

The Garand gas system is far different from the M14 gas system.
    The M14 system captures a limited amount of gas which them expands in the piston chamber. This allows for a much wider range of gas port pressures and slower propellants than would be safe in a Garand.

Heavy bullets and slow powders can wreck the Garand's op rod or lead to early opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert2368 View Post
    Somewhere on the net, there is an actual TABLE showing gas port pressure for various Garand loads. Including cast. I have seen reference to this, but have had no luck in finding the table... Anyone know?
    I used to have a quickload workup that parashooter did posted on this board! It was based on the port pressure generated by a standard ball load. His loads for a cast bullet in the 200gr area targeted 2000fps and showed what the port pressure would be for a wide variety of powders. Even a caseful of 860, not boosted, won't get you beyond the port pressure of standard ball. If I can find it, I'll link you to it.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know the "correct" port pressure for the M1 Garand but having measured the time/pressure curve of numerous lots of M2 Ball, one lot of M1 Ball and a couple lots of M72 Match the pressure at 22" runs from 9,500 to 14,500 psi(43). That is equivalent to measurements with transducers not CUP.

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast