Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Robert Heinlein Fans Here?

Banned

Any Robert Heinlein Fans Here?

I have read everything he has written, AFAIK. He has been one of the biggest positive influences in my life.

Banned

He was a great man. "An armed society is a polite society."

Boolit Master
    I enjoy reading his work from time to time. I certainly read everything he ever wrote, though.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I never went to kindergarten, and 4 months after I started 1st grade I was reading at a 6th grade level. Santa brought me 4 science fiction paperback books for Christmas that year, 2 by Robert Heinlein and 2 by Ray Bradbury.

I have since been hooked on classic science fiction, and have devoured Heinlein, Bradbury, Larry Niven, Anne McCaffery, and a host of others.

Boolit Master

Heinlein has his own bookshelf in my library. I discovered his 'young people's' sci-fi when I was in 4th or 5th grade and by my senior year of high school had accumulated everything he'd written to that point and continued adding as new work was published.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

As a youth, I read everything by him that was in the library. He didn't patronize us kids at all; everything was told straight up.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Banned

I have read Starship Troopers and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I read Starship Troopers during the air war phase of Desert Storm and when I finished, it got passed around to just about everybody and was universally loved. I really wish they had never made that ludicrously stupid movie that was based on it.

I've pretty much read most of his stuff at least once.
    Starman Jones and Starship Troopers, I've lost count.......
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Boolit Master

A favorite quote from "Glory Road", about having limits for other people: "I won't work for anyone who speaks to me that way even once."

Said, by the way, to the Empress of the Twenty Universes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have read Starship Troopers and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I read Starship Troopers during the air war phase of Desert Storm and when I finished, it got passed around to just about everybody and was universally loved. I really wish they had never made that ludicrously stupid movie that was based on it.
    That obscenity of a film called 'Starship Troopers' made me want to personally strangle every member of the production team. I saw the producer being interviewed on TV one time and it's clear he had absolutely no comprehension of the nature of the tale. If I outlive him I want him laid to rest on the hedge at the end of my garden so I can throw stones at him whenever I want.

Boolit Master

Heinlein, Asimov, Herbert, and Bradbury.

I grew up with those four.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

My Uncle Nolan was an editor on the Houston Chronicle, and reviewed books as well. His Bro, my Grampa (who lived with us for a time), used to borrow books from him to read, one of which was 'Sixth Column', later renamed 'The Day After Tomorrow'. My intro to SciFi - I guess I was about 8 yrs old. Have read all of his stuff, including some Bluebook short stories. And turned on a pals oldest son to RH, and later in life he thanked me profusely. Niven, Bradbury, Asimov, &cetera - and I still have a few RH books in my bookcase.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Moderator Emeritus

Part of the group that got Isaac Asimov to speak at our commencement ceremony. I got to have lunch with him. Pretty cool.

Boolit Master
    I've read them all. Just introduced my 11yr old to Heinlein last month. Looks like another classic SF fan in the making.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. Love his work. I think world would be so much better place if his ideas were implemented: "You want to run for public office ? You gotta serve !"

I've been re-reading my Heinlein collection over the past month or so. I started with his young adult books when I was a kid and graduated to his mature topics as I grew older. The ending of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" still gets me choked up every time.

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

December 2001 the Green Morning in the Martin Chronicals made a big impact on me. Mrs. Thumbcocker and I have planted 10 trees this year.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Read them all, some several times. Own many of them.

He had some pretty interesting views on the female persuasion for a farm boy.

But in my opinion he was right on when it came to government.
    I am and always will be a rational anarchist at heart.

We could use a double dose of him about now.

Moderator Emeritus

Heinlein is my favorite and many of the things he wrote about are happening now... Like in Starship Troopers when they discussion gangs running wild, no punishment for crimes, psycho babble garbage instead of prison... and in "Friday" corporations have taken over world government... just how far are we from that?

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    He is my favorite SF author. I think we are in "The Crazy Years" he talked about.
    The enemy of good is better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast