RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: .54 Cal paper patched minie

Perma-Banned

.54 Cal paper patched minie

Attachment 170567

Since I'm in the testing/trying different things mode in my 54 project I figured what the heck, I paper patched and sized a Lee Minie, it looks darn good! This will likely be what I try next, the paper patched and sized Lee R.E.A.Ls are coming long decent, but figured it would be good to try a few different bullets, nice to have a hollow base to shove the twisted paper patch tail. I think Idahoron was gonna do this once upon a time but ended up not going through with it

54bore,
    Have you checked out that ol' heavy skirted Lyman minie?

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    54bore,
    Have you checked out that ol' heavy skirted Lyman minie?
    No i havn't? I really like the looks of this bullet, hope it shoots! This one is the Lee 540-415, Lee also makes a 533-410 which is the mold i wish i had for this project, i think the 533-410 would be perfect for what i am doing, will see how this goes? May end up getting that mold before its over

Boolit Master
    Let us know your results?

Fly

Boolit Master
    I was going to try the .533 but I sold the gun before I could try it.

Boolit Buddy
    I never had any luck with that Lee 540-415. It scattered all over the target out of two different rifles. The Lyman 542622 shoots clover leafs out of the same rifles. The Lyman has a heavy skirt. I turned down the Lee's base plug to beef up the skirt thickness but it never compared to the Lyman. I had to enlarge the driving bands of my Lyman 533476 to .541" as the diameter was way too small. You could throw them down the bore. They shot excellent at the increased diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Attachment 170567

Since I'm in the testing/trying different things mode in my 54 project I figured what the heck, I paper patched and sized a Lee Minie, it looks darn good! This will likely be what I try next, the paper patched and sized Lee R.E.A.Ls are coming long decent, but figured it would be good to try a few different bullets, nice to have a hollow base to shove the twisted paper patch tail. I think Idahoron was gonna do this once upon a time but ended up not going through with it
    Let me ask. why do you want to paper patch a hollow base minnie that is designed to expand into the rifling?
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 59sharps View Post
    Let me ask. why do you want to paper patch a hollow base minnie that is designed to expand into the rifling?
    To try something different, nothin more, nothin less.

Boolit Master
    59sharps, If eddison stopped experimenting after the 4th attempt to the light bulb, where would we be now? Curiosity is the mother of invention......................or somthin like that.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    59sharps, If eddison stopped experimenting after the 4th attempt to the light bulb, where would we be now? Curiosity is the mother of invention......................or somthin like that.
    I am assuming that he is shooting this out of a gun designed to shoot minnies. As long as you are shooting pure or as close to pure as you can get. .001 to .002 under bore is all you need. Now playing w the diffrent Minnie designs lube and powder charges I can see.. now if shooting something not designed for minnies that I can see. Just like playing w different patch thicknesses.
    Last edited by 59sharps; 06-20-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Master
    One reason to paper patch Minnies is to protect the barrel from the lead. Another is to protect the bullet from the steel. not real hard to understand when a guy thinks about it.
    Shooting paper patched Minnies can be very rewarding. I tried them for a while and they were very accurate.

I would have stuck with them but I planned to paper patch the RCBS 11mm rifle bullet for my 45. It turned out to be a great bullet.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoron View Post
    One reason to paper patch Minnies is to protect the barrel from the lead. Another is to protect the bullet from the steel. not real hard to understand when a guy thinks about it.
    Shooting paper patched Minnies can be very rewarding. I tried them for a while and they were very accurate.

I would have stuck with them but I planned to paper patch the RCBS 11mm rifle bullet for my 45. It turned out to be a great bullet.
    That is insprirational ron!! Was this from your GM LRH .45 (AKA Hotrod)

Boolit Master
    Yes that was from my 1-30 twist Hawken.

Boolit Master
    I agree, we never stop learning things. Being a ole drag racer we learned so much back in the day
    with trying unconventional stuff. Some worked, some didn't. That,s what is fun for me with these
    guns.
    Shoot & have fun! Fly