Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Cast ..Have you ?

Boolit Buddy
    I have one that I use to load small rifle works great for me .

I'd loaded for many years using a single stage press, the "dip and trickle" method for powder, etc...about 5 or 6 years ago I "upgraded" and bought a Lee Classic Cast press (single stage)...loved it....still "dip and trickle"...then I bought the Lee Classic Turret and one of the new Lee Autodrum powder measures and I feel like I just got hold of my first automatic transmission car.
    I load all my handgun calibers on the LCT and I still load the rifle calibers on the Lee Classic cast single stage..the Autodrum is on the turret for handgun loading and I do dip and trickle the rifle charges.

I'm a lower volume loader so this works perfect for me...if I loaded lots of semi automatic rifle ammo I'd probably load that on the turret as well..I had slight problems at first when using the turret but it was an "operator problem" and not the equipment...for some reason I just didn't get the full stroke of the arm on each move and I was short stroking the press and tearing up the little plastic grommet in the drive...since I got on track with full and even strokes I've not had one problem or issue and that's several thousand rounds ago.

Boolit Bub
    I replaced my Rock Chucker with a Lee Classic Turret Press and I have been very happy with the improvement in my reloading process. I liked the tolerances and mechanics of this press so much that I have since added a Classic Cast single stage press. Although the turret press would work fine, I use the single stage for reloading my 45-70's and larger calibers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs300 View Post
    I replaced my Rock Chucker with a Lee Classic Turret Press and I have been very happy with the improvement in my reloading process. I liked the tolerances and mechanics of this press so much that I have since added a Classic Cast single stage press. Although the turret press would work fine, I use the single stage for reloading my 45-70's and larger calibers.

I have a turret for my Lee Classic Turret set up for 45-70. I don't know why, I don't shoot that much 45-70 any more but what the heck, right?

I had to tape a note on the storage box as a reminder though. The 45-70 sizing die is steel, not carbide, so I have to remember to lube the cases.

Don't ask.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    That didn't take you long.
    Hi,
    Back in the day, I dated a cute little country girl, that used to say," Squeaky wheel, gets the grease!"

Never forgot that, and has served me well!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Was she squeaky?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Was she squeaky?
    Hi,
    Oh yea!

Those where the days!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I've had a bunch of presses over the years, got the Lee Classic Cast turret about 6 years ago, haven't looked back. Only press I use these days.

I've never really read anything bad about the Lee turret press. Read plenty bad about the progressives. I only have green or blue presses because when I bought mine Lee wasn't making any presses except for shotgun ammo. I always enjoy these threads when they are civil.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Sounds like that Dillon RL-300, needs a new home????
    I think it needs company. One at each end of the same bench. Right now, I'm lacking balance.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    I think it needs company. One at each end of the same bench. Right now, I'm lacking balance.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    Hi,
    Ha! There ya go!

Admittedly, they are not easy to find!

Looks like a fine piece of equipment. I have absolutely zero exposure to them.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    To me (my opinion) they were over built at the price point in 1980.

Supposedly only 800 were made!

Mike Dillon did say he lost money on every one of them.

They were his first foray into a complete commercial reloader.

I feel they are like the RL-1000 which didn't last long either!

My opinion is it is a STRONGER press than either the RL-450 or 550 reloaders.

Once again this is only my opinion!

After the 300 didn't have the profit margin needed he went to the ALL cast frame of the RL-450!

Even though left handed I work the handle with my right hand and run the cases and boolits, with my left.

Having an open front, the RL-300 works well for me, the 450 and 550 not so much! (front bar seems to be in the way?)

I have yet to find a complete, everything included, RL-300.

A lot of times I am either repairing damage, or looking for missing parts! (even harder to find)

Alvarez Kelly, our own resident Dillon Authority, has helped me find parts, time and again, to get some of these loaders back to shape! (Thanks Brian!)

Lord only knows how many have ended up in the landfill?

Sweet, is it auto indexing?

Boolit Master
    Sweet, is it auto indexing?
    Hi,
    NO!

It's manual all the way!

Another reason I like it! (go figure?)

Boolit Master

How did this Lee thread drift into the wonders of the blue koolaid...

And yes, I love all the old Dillon presses, but I still reload on my RL550B...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    How did this Lee thread drift into the wonders of the blue koolaid...

And yes, I love all the old Dillon presses, but I still reload on my RL550B...
    Hi,
    To many girlfriends, I guess!!!

It goes where it goes, on my threads!

Boolit Master

My Classic Cast is my "load just a few cartridges," 45-70 reloading, Lee sizing, Pat Marlin Checkmaker press.

I've mounted it on a rolling bench so I can sit down to do all these jobs. the dillons are at workbench height and I have to stand to use them (which isn't a big deal for me)
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Yes , it is most enjoyable with the caliber/turret change efficiency , simplicity that makes it work.

Attachment 170722
    my caliber selection ....
    I like your fixture for the turrets. Are they made from PVC 90* elbows?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I had a Lyman T-Mag 2 turret press and while it was a good solid unit, it was stiff indexing and kinda slow (I could load about as fast on my SS press) so I sold it and bought the Lee Classic Turret because of the auto index and removable die turret. Used it for a couple years and it also was a pretty good press but not the "better than sliced bread" everyone gives it, in fact other than the auto index, the Lyman was a much better press IMO. The LCT just seemed a bit loose and "sloppy" to me so I sold it and bought something that works along the same lines but is more versatile and does a better job for me. I use a Lee Classic Cast SS press but have no desire for another LCT. Tastes vary.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast