WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2PBcastco
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Standing Tall Boolits.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    (snip)
    (2) I ordered a set that has Square Holes which seem to accept the 30's and should holed them up with gas checks on (ORDER THESE FOR USE WITH 30's). Have not used these yet so we will see how they actually perform; hopefully next week.
    HULLR 4 piece premium silicone trivet mats flexible pot holders durable non-slip pads, multicolor spoon rest and pan lid holder coasters all in 1 non-stick food-grade silicone heat resistant to 500 f

Looking forward to trying these for standing 30's up when baking. I use Shake & Bake, will place them into square holes with angled forceps - I gas check before Shake & Bake so we will see how it works out. Will place the Trivets on a flat pan that I can slide into the oven for backing so there will be a stable bottom after loading.
    I found what seems to be the same product on eBay, $1.96, free shipping, and you can order one at a time. Downside is, eBay sends your name, address, and presumbly payment information to China, and the item ships from there. But I'm okay with that, at least in this case, and mine arrived in less than 2 weeks. Here's a link: -- and searching on eBay for some combination of the keywords "Kitchen Table Pad Tools Silicone Pot Holder Trivet Mat" should get you more options, if you wish.

The squares are just slightly less than .308" across, on the inside. Here's a pic showing 3 SNS Hy-Tech coated bullets sized to .309", standing in the mat next to each other. Notice how the outside edge of the outside square is bowed out slightly by the base of that bullet. Doing the math, the outer edge should be bowed out for about 3x the amount by which one .309" bullet pushes one edge outward, so you can see the .30 cal's are a light press fit into these squares. (I tried to measure inside the squares with a caliper, but they're just too dang flexible ... )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170504_000413.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	194708

Gee...these mats are looking better and better. I'm going to have to take a pocket full of different casts and go to the local Bed, Bath and Kitchen store.

? - Do you fellas have any trouble installing the gas checks when you PC the bottom of the cast before checking?

I've been seating the checks first and then PC'ing.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

In Remembrance

GCs after PC?? No problem at all, here, IF NEEDED.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by habcan View Post
    well, despite the rave review for the silicone trivet, it's back to the cages for .257's and 6.5's: They're too small to stay stood up in the hexagons. And yes, .357's and bigger are safely stood by them selves: Their bases are large enough to prevent tipping whilst handling in/out of the oven, but to prevent sliding, do put the grid under the nsaf.
    nsaf ???
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JimA View Post
    nsaf ???
    That is Non-Stick Aluminum Foil

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks..
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    Well, despite the rave review for the silicone trivet, it's back to the cages for .257's and 6.5's: they're too small to stay stood up in the hexagons. And yes, .357's and bigger are safely stood by them selves: their bases are large enough to prevent tipping whilst handling in/out of the oven, but to prevent sliding, do put the grid under the NSAF.
    I got a couple of those silicone trivets to try. I tried powder coating Lee 358-158 with Eastwood powder and every one of them popped up out of the squares and laid over on their sides during baking.
    Jim

In Remembrance

The trivets I got had hexagons.............took .357's just fine. Sorry 'bout your square ones.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

I've made a powder coating jig to powder coat only the driving bands and bases of some 9.3 mm 286 grain NOE bullets. I don't see the use of coating the forward part of the bullet, and hope to have better results on the parts that actually touch the rifling. I'll be using the powder coating gun from Harbor Freight and hope the results are good.

Here's the aluminum loaf pan with holes drilled to the correct diameter to allow the nose first bullets drop down to the first driving band;

Covered with aluminum foil for easy cleanup, the aluminum will also provide a good ground to the bullets when using the electrostatic powder gum,

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I made one of wood and 5/8 nuts, but I was getting a lot of flashing around each boolit, as the powder would tend to flow down into the seam around each boolit. It might size off though. I had high hopes for it, but my design was lacking somehow. Let us know how yours works! Good luck!!

Last edited by Beagle333; 06-02-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Vendor Sponsor

Beagle333 Those will shoot just fine ..

have done many many that way
    100 yds I could not tell the difference in them or shake and bake .. There is almost no weight to the runs so it does not throw the balance off

I even sprayed some leaning at an almost 45 degree angle again they shot fine to 100 yds
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Rifle bullet okay, but pistol bullets the slick coated nose improves the function.

I'm happy with my first attempt with my Harbor Freight powder coating gun and bullet jig;

I also had some foil stick to the bullets from the powder bridging across but most of it could be removed with a finger nail. I tried sizing the bullets with some foil shards stuck to the bullets and they came out OK. Most of the foil got sheared off, the rest came off easy. I'll have to try the non-stick foil but I'm pleased so far.

Boolit Grand Master

Those look good. I think your system is much better and I'm guessing my lesser results were because of my sloppy tolerances. Perhaps if the hole I made had been a closer fit to the boolit......
    Nice work!

Thanks. I was careful in selecting a drill bit that was just the right size to allow the bullet to drop into the loaf tin jig holes right up to the top driving bands. Heck, I even used my cool eBay digital micrometer to be sure! The aluminum pan is thicker than the sheet steel ones and makes for a better, cleaner hole using the drill press, as well as conducting the electrical ground to the bullets. The pans were bought at Value Village (like a Sally Ann or donated goods store) for $3.
    Next I'll try to drill out the 2nd pan for the .308 170 grain bullets.
    I agree that for the pistol bullets a full coating would improve feeding function in an auto, but my hope on these rifle bullets is to maintain the lead's expanding characteristics. A softer bullet with a powder coated bottom allows one to drive the bullet faster while retaining the mushrooming characteristics that a good powder coating might inhibit.
    Last edited by Big Uke; 06-03-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I think that with non-stick foil, you'll be very pleased.

I never heard of non-stick foil until yesterday when I read about it on the forum. I've since asked my nephew about it and he swears by it for his BBQing.
    I will buy a roll of it before my next powder coating session and report back on the results.

Boolit Grand Master

Be aware that it is only non-stick on one side (the dull side). But it does say "Non Stick Side" printed all across that side, so you know which side to use.

I cast a whole bunch of .30 caliber 180 grain bullets on the weekend and it was time to try the new loaf pan powder coating "bum up" jigs I drilled for this size. My drill bit selection left the holes a tad too large but the bullets stayed in place at the driving bands after putting down a couple of layers of that non-stick aluminum foil. Yes, the fancy aluminum foil treatment works well, and reduced my bullet clean up by 95%. The few powder coat and foil pieces that stuck were well taken care of when the "boolits" went through the sizer.

I'm happy with the results. The Husqvarna I shoot these cast loads through had issues with closing the bolt if there was any bit of a lump of powder coating on the noses. This method uses more powder than the shake and bake method since the foil is also coated when sprayed and that gets tossed out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    The trivets I got had hexagons.............took .357's just fine. Sorry 'bout your square ones.
    Mine were hexagon too... The same exact ones you used. I have no idea why the wouldn't work for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	198077 This is what I use now. Much faster to load a tray.
    Jim

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast