Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Standing Tall Boolits.

In Remembrance

That's an idea I'll just hafta try! TYVM.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Man
    My solution to tall bullets:

I was fighting the tall bullets problem and hit on a stupid simple idea. I thought my fish fryer/ casting heat source might be able to function as an oven. I used a scrap piece of 1/4" plate and a couple of pieces of angle iron as a flame deflector, a cheap Dollar Store foil pan as a lid, and a thermometer robbed from a gas grill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161204_191555186.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	182713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161204_195150698.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	182714

Heat regulation was a bit tough but once dialed in it worked pretty well. The finished product.

Name:	IMG_20161213_214635147.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	182715

The next step is to enlarge the 1/4" plate. Cut it round to fit the burner and pizza pans for the bullets. The lid needs improving. I am looking for the lid to a rusted out Weber grill.

In Remembrance

Furthermore...........

Name:	IM000250.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	182858Cooling much faster on a shelf installed OUTSIDE my window, at -10*F.
    Last edited by HABCAN; 01-22-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    Life Member NRA.

Boolit Master

Some darn good ideas!! I spray mine and that idea of drilling holes in a cookie sheet and flipping it upside down is a great idea! I'll drill the holes and then cover with non-stick foil and try it.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Well, tall HPs lend themselves to spike board mounting and ESPC. Get perfect PC results on boolit nose, drive band and base. Only inside of HP is uncoated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boolit Bouquet.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I agree, Phantom30. If you're doing HP's... a board with nails, screws, wires, or anything, is the way to do tall HP boolits. It's just soooo easy! And almost impossible to mess it up when moving them, both while coating and while baking.

I'm still using this low-volume board that I threw together, which is just a 2x8 pine board with three wraps of foil and a bunch of nails through it. It smells some like pine while baking, but it does the job with no problems. I don't shoot a lot of rifle boolits.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

In Remembrance

4x7mm. 4x.30, 2x.312, 1x 8mm, 1x.357, 1x.379. loaded .44-40 Starline, 3x.44, and 2x.45. Yeah, it's addictive.

Name:	IM000254.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	184313
    Life Member NRA.

In Remembrance

The new orange powder arrived in my P.O. box today from Smoke. Of course, I had to try it out. Results are mixed, but remember, I did this without any BB's.......which are coming Monday.

I shake-and-baked some orange samples of three rifle boolits: the LEE small 7mmx130, the RCBS big 7mmx168, and the LEE .312x160. I was going to see how they'd shoot PC'd but WITHOUT GC's, thus the orange 'color code'. This time, when stood and then 'cooked' in my little wire support grid, I tried the trick touted on 'Boolits' and dumped them hot directly into the water pail to 'retemper' them. DISASTER. The cured but still-soft coatings had stuck to the wire support grid and peeled off hither and thither, and the orange powder (like the gloss black) was not too happy about covering long skinny things without attendant BB's. Methinks I'll just remelt all the coated rifle boolits and try the orange powder again WITH THE BB's.

Life Member NRA.

Been trying stuff for 3 yrs, this is best for me. I run ~80 145-185gr 30 cal. at a time, umcoated base - use NSAF or parchment if you want. Ceramic tile (cheap) - do NOT use metal plate. Load a tile, with hemostats, turn H.P. onto HI and 10 min done. With an open coil H.P. a metal sheet under the tile - you could swap trays. IIRC, I did try a NSAF covered plate on the tile - didn't melt any boolits. Th tile is a heat spreader so none get too hot and all get cooked. Lousy focus but you get the idea. I don't use the PID anymore - was just for testing. I did connect it to a chunk of steel on top to verify temp.
    Attachment 188188
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    My tall bullets solution ver 2.0:

Using my propane burner as a heat source and a lid from a weber grill as the oven. No more moving trays loaded with bullets!

Name:	IMG_20170301_083729938.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	189325
    That is a 1/4" steel plate with angle iron tacked down to act as a heat deflector. The bullet pan is set on top then loaded with shake n bake bullets.

Name:	IMG_20170301_083533963_HDR.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	189326
    Light it up and cook till done. I'm using Smoke's powder, cook at 375 for 15 min.

Name:	IMG_20170301_083555392.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	189333
    The finished product. Those are mostly 45 cal and don't qualify as "tall bullets", but you get the idea. There are a couple of 309-230 in there. The square frame holds the lid. I still need to find the proper size pizza pans.

I am fortunate that I have a lot of scrap steel and proper tools at my shop. This has been a fun project.

In Remembrance

Silicone trivet mat, 7" x 7", flexible, from amazon.ca...........CDN$5.00/each...........ya think?? LEE 309-200s and 357-125s. It'll also take the LEE 379-250s and 44-310s, or RCBS 7mm-168 SPs!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000265.JPG  
    Last edited by HABCAN; 04-05-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Life Member NRA.

In Remembrance

Well, I'd say that worked! The silicone trivet held the boolits well but did NOT rub off any powder from the bases. I don't think I'll have much use for those wire cages from now on.............lol.

The rather large downside is that there was a roomfull of smoke.........musta been from the new trivet (rated @ 500*F) BUT at the end of the cycle it had almost stopped. Mebbeso a one-time thing?? After cooling the trivet was just as flexible and etc. as when I started to bake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000266.JPG   IM000267.JPG  
    Last edited by HABCAN; 04-05-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Life Member NRA.

In Remembrance

OK.......Second Trivet 'Baking'. At start of cycle, as it came up to 425*F, as much smoke came off as it had been emitting at the END of its first baking cycle. This time around the smoke emissions kept diminishing and the last five minutes..........NO smoke or other emissions whatsoever and it was still 'as good as new'. Seems that, if you're willing to put up with the smoke given off the first time, we might have a useful tool here in this silicone trivet with its little two-sided hexagonal grid.
    Life Member NRA.

Boolit Master
    I've never done it, but double sided tape might work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    Well, I'd say that worked! The silicone trivet held the boolits well but did NOT rub off any powder from the bases. I don't think I'll have much use for those wire cages from now on.............lol.

The rather large downside is that there was a roomfull of smoke.........musta been from the new trivet (rated @ 500*F) BUT at the end of the cycle it had almost stopped. Mebbeso a one-time thing?? After cooling the trivet was just as flexible and etc. as when I started to bake.
    I'm guessing that it may be "mold release agent" (like the slippery stuff that is on new tires). I ordered some of these myself today, but will wash them in detergent first before attempting to use them.

Did you try washing them?
    Last edited by NYBushBro; 04-09-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: grammar

In Remembrance

Not yet, but I have been so advised by one smarter than I, LOL. The recommendation was for dish detergent and hot water, followed by an alcohol dip.
    Life Member NRA.

In Remembrance

Well, despite the rave review for the silicone trivet, it's back to the cages for .257's and 6.5's: they're too small to stay stood up in the hexagons. And yes, .357's and bigger are safely stood by them selves: their bases are large enough to prevent tipping whilst handling in/out of the oven, but to prevent sliding, do put the grid under the NSAF.
    Life Member NRA.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    Well, despite the rave review for the silicone trivet, it's back to the cages for .257's and 6.5's: they're too small to stay stood up in the hexagons. And yes, .357's and bigger are safely stood by them selves: their bases are large enough to prevent tipping whilst handling in/out of the oven, but to prevent sliding, do put the grid under the NSAF.
    HABCAN, Food for thought... I mistakenly ordered some of the honeycomb silicone trivets from Amazon, but realized they were NOT what you were talking about. These have honeycombs @ .25" (ie: 4 per inch) rather than 3 per inch like you have.

You can find them by searching on amazon for:
    Flytt Silicone Pot Holder, 4PCS Trivet Mat

As I don't own a .223 (which I think these would work great for), I'll wait to try them out when I cast some Swede GC bullets.
    I would be curious to find out if these work great for the AR crowd. Heck, they're about $2.50 / piece. I can guarantee that someone on this site will give them the endurance test in a toaster oven (ie: hi-volume shooters/casters).

Boolit Master

I too ordered Silicone Trivets from Amazon. Found that the Hexagon's listed all seem to be too small for 30's, but as NYBushBro identified above, they will probably be OK for .223's.

(1) I ordered and received two different products that were too small (DO NOT ORDER THESE FOR 30's):

Silicone Pot Holders Set of 4, Ankway Heat Resistant to 450 °F, Non-slip, Insulation, Durable, Flexible Hot Pads (7" x 7", Blue & Green)

OR

PratiPad PLUS 4-in-1 Multipurpose Silicone Pot Holders, Trivets, Jar Openers, & Spoon Rests - Extra Thick Protection - Set of 2 - Purple/Grey

(2) I ordered a set that has Square Holes which seem to accept the 30's and should holed them up with gas checks on (ORDER THESE FOR USE WITH 30's). Have not used these yet so we will see how they actually perform; hopefully next week.

HULLR 4 piece premium silicone trivet mats flexible pot holders durable non-slip pads, multicolor spoon rest and pan lid holder coasters all in 1 non-stick food-grade silicone heat resistant to 500 f

Looking forward to trying these for standing 30's up when baking. I use Shake & Bake, will place them into square holes with angled forceps - I gas check before Shake & Bake so we will see how it works out. Will place the Trivets on a flat pan that I can slide into the oven for backing so there will be a stable bottom after loading.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Used the HULLR 4 piece premium silicone trivet mat (Square pattern) to hold and cure some Powder coated .308 RCBS 165Sil boolits this evening. Worked well. Used forceps to set each boolit into the trivet, used a slight wiggle movement and downward pressure to seat the boolit in the bottom of each cell. These were gas checked boolits; on curing there is a slight shiny line at 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees where the edge of the trivet cell securely held the gas check portion of the boolit. Dropped the boolits into a bucket of water to quench and harden the boolits after a 30 minute cure at 400 degrees. Just as HABCAN described, I got a slight smell from the trivet "Cooking".

Thanks for the idea HABCAN. I'll be using this trivet for Powder Coating 30 cal boolits from now on, unless something unexpected happens downstream using the trivet. Much easier than trying to stand a bunch of 30's on a tray; I always seemed to knock a few down the old way.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast