WidenersRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Powder coat cloudiness or failure?

Boolit Bub

Powder coat cloudiness or failure?

Has anyone experienced this with their powder coat? Almost looks like a cloud or fog within the coating. It doesn’t scratch off so that’s a good thing. My only thought is maybe the pigment separated from the resin. I did smash a few and the powder stays on so I can definitely rule that out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8711.jpg  

Boolit Master

Did you accidently and unknowingly get some type of contamination on the boolits before coating them. Sweaty hands, oil, hold the boolits in a container that had some type of contaminant??? Ya never know
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Bub
    Nope when I handle cold lead either in I got form or post cast in boolit form I wear nitrile gloves. I will admit I use a little acetone to “clean” the boolits prior to powder coating. My process after cleaning is to preheat them then tumble them in the containers with the powder coat. I have maybe 5k coated and sized boolits. As I was going to load last night I noticed a small amount with the discoloration.

Boolit Master

Load a few, shoot and try to recover the boolets and see what they look like.
    I mostly use clear so haven't "seen" this before, but that means absolutely nothing.

If it was me, I would just carry on, load and shoot them. Maybe the next batch will come out better. I have gotten to the point where I just use glossy black. The fancy colors got used long ago.
    Paul

Boolit Master
    Since they smash OK I'd probably just shoot them too. The worst that can happen is you get some leading in the barrel.

Boolit Master

Well that eliminates the contamination possibility. You just may have invented a new type of different lookin powdercoat.
    If they shoot, shoot'um.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Sometimes I get 2 to 5 boolits that end up with hardly any powder on them but rest are coated completely. Finally came to the conclusion to just throw them into the cull pile and melt them down! The lightly coated ones were treated the same as the rest and can only be explained by planets being out of alignment or those few boolits wanted to be a different color? Whatever it is it's not worth concerning myself over!
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Master
    I dump all my bullets, powder, bb's into a colander and then pick out the bullets. The colander usually has powder residue from the last batch (or last 100 batches...) and the bullets pick up smudges of other colors and kind of look like that. I wouldn't worry about it.

Boolit Bub
    I had a similar problem with clear powder coat. I don't know what caused it. If you ever find out please post it so others can avoid it.

Boolit Bub
    A little update, I loaded up about 50 rounds with the cloudy bullets and they loaded up fine. Before loading them up I put the edge of an exacto knife on the side that was cloudy and lightly rubbed that section of coating. Nothing came off so that’s a good sign. Next I’m going to try shoot them to see if there’s any residue left behind in the barrel.

I decided to check as many as I could while the baby was napping. So I poured all 6k bullets on a towel spreading them out. It looks like out of all the bullets there’s maybe 300 that have this cloudiness in the coat. I’m wondering if it is due to using the last of the powder I had remaining for the blue and purple and maybe that last bit was lacking pigment or other chemical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk