Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New carry gun did I get taken for a ride?

Boolit Buddy

New carry gun did I get taken for a ride?

Okay, after buying my wife a 6in model 19 a few years ago, things have evolved. Since it is too big to reasonably carry concealed, we set out looking. She has arthritis, so the autos were limited in offerings, but I recently got a great deal on a sig p238, and she instantly loved it. So , fast forward a few months and a friend of mine is needing money and hits me up to buy his 640 smith for 350. Now, its been kind of a hard year for disposable income and I don't just go impulse buy but it seemed like a good deal, stainless/with the rosewood grips. SO I ASK THE WIFE, and she says buy it, I'VE always wanted one of those, and I'LL pay you back. Now, I'm thinking suuurre, so I offer to buy it and trade for the sig, and she jumps all over me! I think I kinda got the smelly end of the stick. What should I do? I really want a new Range officer, but can't afford it now.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well $350 for a Model 640 S&W sounds okay.

As for the rest, remember the old saying: "If Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy."

Robert

Boolit Master

If that S&W is in good shape, I'd figure out a way to make that deal.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Well $350 for a Model 640 S&W sounds okay.

As for the rest, remember the old saying: "If Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy."

Robert
    This ^^^^^^^^^^
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I think you did good on the price and for Mama
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Grand Master

I would keep the Sig along with purchasing the S&W. I have the sig 238 also and its a great carry piece with very good sights and trigger. Trading Mommas gun is always going to come back to haunt you at some point.

Boolit Buddy

Whoops!

Boolit Grand Master
    Whether you got "taken" or not depends upon how beat up it is. If it's in near new condition you didn't get swindled.

Boolit Master
    I paid $500 used for my 640 (38 Spl version) years ago and was very happy with the purchase. An all steel 640 would have to be pretty beat up for me to pass it by for $350. 20 mins with some Flitz on a rag does wonders for stainless steel S&W's.

Boolit Grand Master
    Given how beat up some revolvers get from careless owners in amazingly short periods of time, the damage I've seen inflicted wouldn't get touched by Flitz.

Evidence they've been dropped, gouged, etc.

Boolit Master

New gun=X$
    Mama happy=Priceless
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

You've lost me here. Did you trade him the Sig and give him money or did you sell the Sig out right to get the money. I think $350. for that gun is a fair price. I might have traded the Sig for the Smith. But I would not have given him the Sig and money. Add the fact that Mama got upset because the Sig is gone and things are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Now, I'm thinking suuurre, so I offer to buy it and trade for the sig, and she jumps all over me! I think I kinda got the smelly end of the stick. What should I do? I really want a new Range officer, but can't afford it now.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

The description of events is vague. I believe it went like this:

You bought her a Sig.
    A 640 came up at a good price.
    You talk to her and she says buy it, I want it, I'll pay you back.
    You offer to buy it and trade for the Sig.
    She declines that offer in strong terms.

So you didn't come to terms and no 640 gets bought. She keeps her Sig and doesn't get the revolver she always wanted. You are a bad guy because you didn't advance the $350 and buy the 640 for her like she requested.

Does that about sum it up?

Next time don't discuss. If you want it and can afford it then buy. If Her Majesty should become annoyed, at least you can go shoot your new gun while she cools off.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

That makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The description of events is vague. I believe it went like this:

You bought her a Sig.
    A 640 came up at a good price.
    You talk to her and she says buy it, I want it, I'll pay you back.
    You offer to buy it and trade for the Sig.
    She declines that offer in strong terms.

So you didn't come to terms and no 640 gets bought. She keeps her Sig and doesn't get the revolver she always wanted. You are a bad guy because you didn't advance the $350 and buy the 640 for her like she requested.

Does that about sum it up?

Next time don't discuss. If you want it and can afford it then buy. If Her Majesty should become annoyed, at least you can go shoot your new gun while she cools off.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    She kept the sig, and I bought the 640. Sorry for the confusion, its in great shape.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Grand Master

You're keeping HER 640? No wonder she's torqued up.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    BBBUUT, I really like the sig and the 640 fits my hand really well.

Dude, at this point it ain't about you - it's about her and her perception of you.
    You can get more money - you can buy more guns - but you only get one shot at happiness - No, really
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    Dude, buy her anything that makes her happy and keep your mouth shut. I've learned after 44 years with the same woman that a happy woman is priceless and a pissed off one will haunt you for a long time. Simply put if she wants a new gun you smile and reach for your plastic and pay for it. If you happen to like the same model gun you simply order another one.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Dude, buy her anything that makes her happy and keep your mouth shut. I've learned after 44 years with the same woman that a happy woman is priceless and a pissed off one will haunt you for a long time. Simply put if she wants a new gun you smile and reach for your plastic and pay for it. If you happen to like the same model gun you simply order another one.
    Few truer words have ever graced this site's pages.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast