Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: powders for the mighty .44 MAGNUM

Boolit Master
    I use 2400 for full strength load, Herco for a bit less and Bullseye for target type loads.

2400 is my go to powder. I can easily get 1300-1400 fps out of my 7.5" barrel Bisley and the recoil is much more manageable than with H110/W296. I do use H110 occasionally, but usually only when testing a new gun, bullet, etc. I do like it with the Speer 270 SP for hunting loads. But, my everyday load is 8.0-8.5 grains of Unique under most any 240 grain boolit.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Boolit Master
    I greatly prefer HS-6 for mid range field loads in the .44 mag.

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I greatly prefer HS-6 for mid range field loads in the .44 mag.

Three 44s
    ^^^^ This.
    I think it was Three 44s that first suggested for me to try 10-12gr HS-6 under a 240gr LSWC. I am being converted.
    My 7.5" SBH HUNTER is due back from Long Hunter just any day now. I shall continue working with HS-6 when it shows up.
    I also acquired some AA#7, and plan to try it out for mid-range loads as well.

Boolit Master
    I ran a lot of lower end 44 magnum loads in an assortment of ORIGINAL SIZE VAQUEROS. When you run 48 rounds daily, you use an economical powder. TITEGROUP, HP38/231, HERCO among others. Some of the popular powders have a narrow window of charges.

Boolit Master
    Started out with Unique & 2400 back in the 60's & I've never strayed too far but there are a lot of good powders that work in the grand old 44 for both midrange & full house loads. I've never tried any of the newer powders because I have about 17 different powders for handguns in the cabinet now, just don't think I need anymore!

Dick

Banned

my favorite 44 powder is aa9. Followed by 2400, 110/296 for the heavy stuff and unique or power pistol for the light stuff.

Banned

I have had .44's of all types since 1956. 2400 was my go to powder until 296. Since mine are for long range or hunting unless someone comes over to fun shoot at cans, etc, then Unique or 231 and a lighter boolit fills the bill nicely. HS-6 has been shot in my bigger bores for fun and it is a great powder.
    For deer or long range with Ruger's or S&W's, 296 is my favorite.
    Fooling with powders for fun can take you to the point that the primer is the most expensive thing you need.
    The .44 is just too great and anything from mouse to moose sits in your hand.

I use Titewad in my 44 mag, $.014 cents per shot. I use it under both 240 and 211 gr cast. Accurate enough for me with the Lee full wadcutter. But I don't hunt anything but desert rats with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master
    My current cheap load is 19g of AA#9 behind a 260g #503 lit by a Federal 155 I found on sale for $22/1000. 1364 fps from a 6" barrel.

The velocity spread was big with standard primers, mag primers tightened it up, cut SD by 1/3 and added 50 fps. Mag primers are what Accurate used for their load book in spite of 44man's advice. I was surprised the Sale Mag Primers took the SD from 31 to 19.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

I switched to the Fed 150 in the early 80's for IHMSA with 240 gr bullets. I made hundreds of tests and tried both it and the 155, WW and CCI primers of both types.
    My SD is 11.5 and MAD is 9.5 fps. Every cast was also tested and accuracy was better every time with the 150.
    I bought the RD 265 mold and it will hold 3/4" at 50 and 1-1/4" at 100. Started making my own molds and beat that, even had 1/2" at 100 now and then. 1-5/16" at 200 meters.
    After a shoot I put up a cardboard chicken at 200 meters and my last two shots in my box were 3/4" apart. Opens from Creedmore, I shot the .44 better then my single shots.
    I am NOT going back. All my friends with .44's use the 150. They also come to cast with my molds.

Banned

There is much more needed for accuracy from a revolver then a primer and even boolit pull from case to case is more important then anything. I can measure seating pressure and sort. Each sorting from light to tight will group but can be 10" apart. Mix them together and all that can be had is a 10" pattern at 50 meters. When you get to 1/2", only then can you say what a primer does.
    Not a single revolver EVER beat my SBH and my SRH was even more accurate, not the SBH but how loads were made. My best was 79 out of 80 at the state shoot, missed the last ram due to a shake. I ran 20 straight turkeys and all others before I missed. PRIMER? Fed 150.

Been using 2400 since about 1964. S&Ws / 240 cast, Ruger SBH / 240JHP. I do not fire heavy
    loads out of my 29s. Recently looking for WC molds for 44, to work up bullseye loads for 44mg
    & 44spec. Unique is my powder for 45Colt, 242WCs at 800fps, so will probably start with that.

thannkyou for all the info, what do you all think aboutconverting the lyman 300gr to PB? I was mainly asking with hunting in mind, for regular shooting I bill use unique or I heard either true blue? or blue dot for targets and such
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Why turn it into a plain base? I would personally spend the additional 15 bucks for a PB mould instead of alter. One can never have enough moulds! And if you really wanted to push that through a rifle or something the GC might be something you want.
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

Banned

I would buy another mold for a PB too. I have been making my own all PB since I found I did not need a GC. My .475 and JRH are shot at max with PB and I have driven them over max in a .454 with sweet accuracy and no problems.
    However I WD WW boolits.
    Make the boolit tougher to withstand seating so they do not get sized down.
    Since metal comes from the asteroid belt for GC's, we are supporting the space exploration.

no, it wont ever be fired from a rifle, that's what my marlin 1895 45-70 is for, 32grs of imr4198 noe 425gr rnfp pb. works wonderfully
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12