Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Lesson Learned

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split

Lesson Learned

I made a big mistake when rendering some range scrap that I got from the gun club my brother belongs to. I brought home about 80 pounds and
    decided to reclaim the lead.

First off I use a Freon tan that was cut right at the seam and I filled said tank to the rim with the range scrap and lit the burner. Mistake 1, filling it to
    the rim. I lit the burner and stayed close by about an hour into this misadventure I noticed that the lead on top was still there so I covered the pot with
    piece of sheet metal. I checked it again in about 30 minutes still lead on top of the pot. I then decided to do a bit of digging. I took off the top 4 inches
    and put it back in the bucket from where I had it. I dug a bit deeper and noticed that the melt was coming along nicely. I scratched around and then noticed
    the empty jackets and began to scoop those off. I filled a 3# coffee can with empty copper jackets and final was able to see a nice pot of lead. I fluxed it 3 times
    with pine shavings and wound up with a nice pile of ingots. About 50 pounds.

So with all that waiting and burning way to much propane (mistake #2) I finally got what I was needing & with what should have been some basically free lead.
    I'll not fill the pot to the rim, and keep with relatively smaller batches and take in consideration that a bunch of folks shoot J-words bullets than cast. Most of what I saw was
    cast boolits and didn't notice all the copper in the pot but when the top 3 inches is jackets, well you get the picture. I still have that other bucket to melt but that
    is a cool weather job.

Boolit Grand Master

Smelting lead has a learning curve. You will improve the process and probably your equipment many times. I know that I have.
    Last edited by lightman; 06-15-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    You can sell those copper jackets at the scrapyard too. Use a magnet to make sure there are no steel jackets in there, btw.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

I thought that you were going to say that the weight of it all collapsed the flimsy burner stand...whew! Glad that was not the case...a little wasted propane...no biggie!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I made exactly the same mistake on my first smelt of range scrap.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I guess the weirdest thing I melted were a couple of isotope cores, the big ones. Those things take forever to get hot enough to melt.

But the range lead was free for the digging well it was all on top of the sandy berm so it was more like scraping. I could have gotten
    tons but getting it back home would have been a problem lugging it 450 miles, in the family car.

I'll get a 5 gallon paint can and save the jackets. We will prolly go back out there this fall and I'll get more.

In Remembrance

That reminds me that I have 12 of those big isotope cores to reduce to ingots.Robert

Boolit Master

I melt down quite a bit of range lead and have found that the jackets seem to create an 'insulated layer' between the melt and the unmelted top layer. I tried the small batches and that works but I'm the kinda guy that wants it done NOW! So after heating the pot for awhile I break out the weed burner and that makes quick work of that top layer. I hand pick all my range turds and don't worry about dud rounds. I don't know if I'd heat sifted ore the same way or not, ya never know if you sifted out a dud!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned

I have a big cast iron pot with a lid and have been using wood fire to melt it down, but I don't fill the pot up either. I have several acres of woods here so basically unlimited firewood. Been keeping the empty jackets, probably have about a five gallon bucket full now. Eventually, I want to try to trade for some lead with a scrap dealer in town.