Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When Do I Start Selling My Guns ?

Boolit Master

Bonz, I offer my prayers and a few suggestions.

-My main worry about getting older is making reloading mistakes. Make sure your meds don't mess up your concentration.
    -Your wife can liquidate your guns without an FFL. It's mentioned in the "who needs an FFL" section on the ATF site.
    -A friend of mine once sold guns for a widow. He talked to her about prices as neither wanted it to go on forever and they priced them accordingly. All he asked was first chance at anything he liked. You probably have a friend or relative who could do this for you.
    -Finally about medical care. When the time comes for all of us to make the decisions you're facing, we shouldn't write ourselves off but we should be realistic. Palliative care may be your best option. It's not hospice, it's about treating you in a way that keeps you doing what you want as long as possible.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Along with everyone here, I am sorry to hear about your declining health.

I have witnessed several events to financially help others on this board and I feel that listing your items here would get a better response for your wife.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Charles, My prayers to you and your family. God is with you always.
    I just had an esophagectomy this Christmas. Cancer seems to be affecting everyone I know or speak to. Thought I was an exception till this came up.
    Before my surgery I made a list and priced everything so my wife could at least know a value and have an idea where to start if I didn't survive since this all happened so fast.
    There are many rodents out there that can take advantage of a grieving spouse at a time when there thinking is limited.

God Bless, Mike

Banned

I pray for many here and you have mine too. So sad to see dear friends with trouble even though far apart. DON'T sell, leave them to your wife and family. My friends all have dibs on my guns and will not cheat Carol. But I might outlive most anyway.
    Now I do have a problem, my daughter is last in line so all I own must never go to the state so I need to talk to her about leaving to the NRA and maybe a children's hospital. Shriner's or Danny Thomas comes to mind. Maybe for cancer too.
    But to sell myself to prepare for death is not in the cards. I have too much to do yet. To get rid of your love only adds to your demise. It is like losing the best dog ever, don't do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear of your health problems, charles. If it were meid take stock of the firearms and equipment I shoot and the safe queens and pass on the queens to people that will shoot and appreciate them. The rest id shoot as often as possible and as long as I could then start selling.
    Another option would be to wait as long as possible then sell all of your collection in one batch. There are several places that buy whole collections.
    Praying for your health
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Intentionally bumping an old thread.

I haven't seen posted elsewhere on the site that Vic has passed away. His guns were split up as he wished with a few being sold. His reloading, casting and swaging equipment ended up in a big pile in the corner of the garage and a great many parts were thrown into the dumpster as his wife was preparing to sell the house. To her great relief I paid what she was asking for what was left and am in the process of buying a bunch of small parts to get the presses working. Have also sorted more than 20 buckets of brass and tens of thousands of bullets.

I've never swaged bullets, so had no idea of the value of the dies, might just have to give her some more money when I see her in Chicago next month.

I don't know that it's possible to avoid leaving a mess for a spouse, but I think that he'd be happy with the outcome and I know that Carole is.

Anyway, I knew that he'd been a member here, but didn't know his user name until I came across a post of his while searching for information on an Ultimate Cannelure Tool.

For anyone that may be interested:
    http://www.gaskinservices.com/book-o...c/obituary.php

JimB Thanks for the obit and helping the family of a member. We often know nothing of the members here, what they do/did/etc.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Bonz,

FIRST, our BEST WISHES & a SPEEDY RECOVERY to you from "D" & I.

The decision that I've made is to turn my several collections of "things of significant value" (guns, autographed books, fishing/camping gear, swords, coins, etc.) is to direct that "D" & my adult daughter can "cherry pick" my collections for up to 30 days after my passing.
    (Each of them have a few personal items that they want to keep forever & have "worked it out" between the 2 of them.)

After that, all of my collections go to a local San Antonio auction house, that is "well regarded" to be sold "at public cry".

After the auction, 75% of the net proceeds go to "D" & the other 25% passes to my daughter.
    (On "D's passing", as we have no other "near family", my daughter receives the bulk of our joint estate, less a bequest to my boarding school.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 11-06-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Bonz,

FIRST, our BEST WISHES & a SPEEDY RECOVERY to you from "D" & I.

The decision that I've made is to turn my several collections of "things of significant value" (guns, autographed books, fishing/camping gear, swords, coins, etc.) is to direct that "D" & my adult daughter can "cherry pick" my collections for up to 30 days after my passing.
    (Each of them have a few personal items that they want to keep forever & have "worked it out" between the 2 of them.)

After that, all of my collections go to a local San Antonio auction house, that is "well regarded" to be sold "at public cry".

After the auction, 75% of the net proceeds go to "D" & the other 25% passes to my daughter.
    (On "D's passing", as we have no other "near family", my daughter receives the bulk of our joint estate, less a bequest to my boarding school.)

yours, tex
    Well Tex, you may well hear back from Bonz (aka Vic, aka Charles) but I doubt it’ll be on the forum. He passed in January, I was just letting folks know since I hadn’t seen it mentioned by anyone.

Banned
    JimB,

Nobody bothered to inform me. = THANKS for the update.

yours, tex

Moderator Emeritus

For anyone facing this, I have done this fr 2 ham radio friends who had huge radio collections. When they knew time was short we sat down with their wife and priced everything online then subtracted 20% fora starting price with the caveat that some stuff may sell cheap because the market had shifted on that particular radio. In both cases I got within 4% of the prices we looked up by selling direct on forums, on ebay, and in person. Everyone knew in advance so no hard feelings if stuff didn't sell for top prices, the wives were not shocked by a 3 month old $5,000 radio selling for only $3800 because it was used and not new in the box...

I won't do it again, it is a LOT of hard work and I do not have that kind of energy anymore!

I think every gun I own has been a labor of love in some way or another.
    Seeing them sold to some stranger, just does not sit right with me.

I would rather give them to someone. Preferably my grandchildren. But if not them, anyone with an interest.

I am 65, could go tommorow, could last another 30 years. No way to tell.
    But I don't see myself selling off my guns. YMMV. And who knows, time changes much. I may change that opinion. But at this point I am still buying guns. Although I am slowing down.

Banned
    MaryB,

In any case, you did a GOOD DEED for a silent key's lady.

Regards & 73 de tex

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    For anyone facing this, I have done this fr 2 ham radio friends who had huge radio collections. When they knew time was short we sat down with their wife and priced everything online then subtracted 20% fora starting price with the caveat that some stuff may sell cheap because the market had shifted on that particular radio. In both cases I got within 4% of the prices we looked up by selling direct on forums, on ebay, and in person. Everyone knew in advance so no hard feelings if stuff didn't sell for top prices, the wives were not shocked by a 3 month old $5,000 radio selling for only $3800 because it was used and not new in the box...

I won't do it again, it is a LOT of hard work and I do not have that kind of energy anymore!
    Good for you girl!

A friend of mine has asked me to help his wife when he passes. He has put together an inventory and estimated value. For my "trouble" he has gifted me his Sliver Sietz but I will not take it. When the time comes, it will be sold and I will give the proceeds to his widow.

For those of you without children or grandchildren interested in your hobbies, it is wise to plan and find a person you can trust. Most spouses have no idea of the value of our toys.
    Don Verna

Banned
    dverna,

In many cases, it's good for "marital harmony" to NOT tell her/him about the prices.

yours, satx

We are temporal keepers of "Things". Hate when the life spark goes out.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Sad times when a brother passes. Rest in piece. I am glad there was good friends there to help. When my Grandpa passed, my uncle pawned his guns and didn't tell the family. Grandma blames my uncle and my uncle blames grandma. I would have paid 3 times their value if they needed the money just have those guns but I was deployed and they didn't mention it.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I'm facing a high risk heart surgery next year which I've postponed temporarily so that I can make sure that my affairs are in reasonable order for my wife just in case. I'm planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I have quite a few duplicates in my gun collection plus guns that I bought at the right price planning to re-sell later so I will downsize those "extra" pieces now and bring my current inventory list up to date with current approximate market values. I am lucky in that I have a couple of very trustworthy friends who would help my wife out if she had to deal with liquidating my estate, but I'll try to reduce the excess in advance and just keep my prized possessions. I just feel that it is the reasonable thing to do ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    JimB,

Nobody bothered to inform me. = THANKS for the update.

yours, tex
    All you had to do was read post #66, 2 posts before you were wishing him well wishes.

Prayers sent Charles! I can't imagine being in your position but am sure I will be as well one of these days.
    Keep moving forward!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast