RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When Do I Start Selling My Guns ?

Boolit Bub
    I'm sorry to hear this. Knee mail inbound.

I would have to agree with the auction idea.

Boolit Buddy
    No advice on the guns, but we serve a big God, and I am praying for you. God bless you, and your wife.

The trouble is that none of us know just how much time we're going to get on this earth. I'm 63 now and could keel over tomorrow or I could last until 94 like my grandfather did. I have a fairly substantial collection of guns (150 +) and all of the related reloading and casting gear to go with them all, plus some old collectibles related to the shooting sports (including 50 + glass target balls from the late 1800's and some pieces of vintage reloading equipment) so there is quite a bit of value there. To assist my wife in case of a sudden disaster I have drafted an inventory list of all of my guns and their approximate current market values which are stored in my gun safes so that she could find them in an emergency. I'm working on a similar list of the values of all of my reloading gear and old time collectibles. That way if I do "slip away" unexpectedly she will at least have some idea of what it is all worth. She shoots with me and would likely keep a few of her favorite guns for future use, but I'm sure that 90% of my collection would be liquidated if anything happened to me. At least this way she has some idea of what she could / should sell it all for if I'm not here to do it myself. It definitely pays to plan ahead ... and having said that it absolutely AMAZES me how many friends I talk to in my own age group haven't drafted a will yet! Not having a will can tie up estate assets and your bank accounts for quite some time and if your spouse can't access any funds how would she pay the monthly bills while waiting for your estate to be sorted out? Joint accounts go to the survivor (in Canada at least) and investment funds are paid out immediately (usually less than 30 days) to the named beneficiary. Nobody likes to talk about this sort of stuff or plan for it, but if you don't "take care of business" in advance then you run the risk of leaving your spouse (or family) in a heck of a mess. Just my 2 cents worth ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Perma-Banned

I am certainly sorry to hear this.

Like some others have said...I really have no advice on what to do with the guns as I simply do not know what might be best. However, I have sent a prayer for your health and for your family during this...and will continue to do.

GOD BLESS you and your family.

Boolit Master
    praying for you , Charles

When Do I Start Selling My Guns

My great grand father Harry wolf was a major gun collector in Denver Colorado. Some of his guns are at the battle of little big horn museum. He was actually writing a book before he passed about the battle. He died of lung cancer. Any how on all of his guns he had cards attached with price and who to call about selling the gun. However he also had a list of people not to let in the door. Untill my great grandma bells death this is how she paid to travel the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    The trouble is that none of us know just how much time we're going to get on this earth. I'm 63 now and could keel over tomorrow or I could last until 94 like my grandfather did. I have a fairly substantial collection of guns (150 +) and all of the related reloading and casting gear to go with them all, plus some old collectibles related to the shooting sports (including 50 + glass target balls from the late 1800's and some pieces of vintage reloading equipment) so there is quite a bit of value there. To assist my wife in case of a sudden disaster I have drafted an inventory list of all of my guns and their approximate current market values which are stored in my gun safes so that she could find them in an emergency. I'm working on a similar list of the values of all of my reloading gear and old time collectibles. That way if I do "slip away" unexpectedly she will at least have some idea of what it is all worth. She shoots with me and would likely keep a few of her favorite guns for future use, but I'm sure that 90% of my collection would be liquidated if anything happened to me. At least this way she has some idea of what she could / should sell it all for if I'm not here to do it myself. It definitely pays to plan ahead ... and having said that it absolutely AMAZES me how many friends I talk to in my own age group haven't drafted a will yet! Not having a will can tie up estate assets and your bank accounts for quite some time and if your spouse can't access any funds how would she pay the monthly bills while waiting for your estate to be sorted out? Joint accounts go to the survivor (in Canada at least) and investment funds are paid out immediately (usually less than 30 days) to the named beneficiary. Nobody likes to talk about this sort of stuff or plan for it, but if you don't "take care of business" in advance then you run the risk of leaving your spouse (or family) in a heck of a mess. Just my 2 cents worth ...
    Good advice here, don't write yourself off. Any one of us could get run over by a truck walking out of the house today, you can't resign yourself to it.

Everybody needs a will, in fact, I need to get with the wife and dig ours out and make sure they don't need any updating.

Sorry to hear about the cancer. I have a close friend that is fight olvarian cancer and that been since I know her and she have 2 young kids. I know it is not easy on you or your wife.All i can say is go with that others stated and go with that, but it is only can really make up your mind what is best for you and your wife. but you have ideas of what you might like to think about .As for me I do not have a wife, or any kids . my sisters are not in to what i do beside my brother. Also my sisters kids dose not bother with me or are into alot I do. So I been thinking about what to do for some time. But I know in time something will come to me on it all. I know it is not easy to do and think of. When my dad had died my mom know who to give what to at the time.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I too will be praying for complete recovery. In the meantime I have one piece of advice not yet mentioned. Take each of your wife's favorite firearms and invest in brass. Reload all the ammo she can shoot in a dozen or so years! It will keep you busy and will give her a rememberance of you every time she goes shooting without you. It will show her the value of the reloading tools if she doesn't know now - assuming she is interested and will go shooting without you.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Damn, I am truly sorry for you current health troubles. I pray you beat it.

I sometimes ponder this issue. I sometimes think I should sell off my seldom used guns even though I really used to enjoy shooting them. They've been idle while I picked up others. I don't sell too much. Sometimes that's a mistake keeping stuff I used to use a lot. Like the canoe I don't use anymore and the last time I took it camping it didn't even come off the truck (it rained very hard the whole time).

I have some of my father's guns, I'm not yet 50 but I see my nephews and think I should hand some of them off. I've kind of avoided that as their father tends to glom onto stuff, gets in a bind and sells stuff. I don't like to think he'd do that with stuff I give to the nephews but it's a nagging thought.

I don't think it's much of an issue right now unless you start needing the cash. Enjoy them. It sounds like you got your wife up to speed on the process if that time ever comes. I'm pretty confident you could take a few pictures now of guns and stick them in a computer folder with notes on them and prices and could post them for sale or your wife can post them for sale easily on gun broker, here or other sites you frequent. Kind of a contingency plan like a will.

My step father was sick with colon cancer for a year. (he ignored signs until it was far too late) What he did do quietly is do a lot of things to make things easier.

I wish you well my brother.

Boolit Master
    First, sorry about the situation you're facing - any of us could be facing that some day. It is to everyone's advantage that you're thinking about this beforehand.

I used to tell my wife "if something happens to me, take them to ____________auction and let them handle them". I assumed the ridiculous prices people paid at auction would be to her benefit, however, I found out that that particular auction company charged the seller something like 20-percent (in addition to the ten-percent buyers premium). After that I kept in mind a reputable dealer who would sell them on consignment for less than the auction would cost.

Boolit Master

I have already taken care of that situation in my life and know who gets them and I am ok with that decision. Yes it is a very hard decision for any of us to make but we all know that something in this life is going to kill us. I am sorry you are dealing with cancer it took my dad in 3-4 months so now there is a chance it will get me one day and I am dealing with the possible chance it will get me, but then I have lived with the knowledge that each day is special for me for a long time military service does leave its memories and scares
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I'm not sure what to say other than cancer sucks. My mother went through the battle a number of years ago. My prayers with you.

I am on the other side of your issue. My father in law has a substantial gun collection and assorted sights, parts, etc. Some of which I don't have a clue about. We need to sit down and take an updated inventory and what to do with it if something happened to him. Most of the stuff I have no interest in and would rather see it go to people who would appreciate it. Auctions, reliable LGS and other outlets all have their place.

Good luck and God bless.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dear Charles , live each day to its fullest, look around you and be grateful for all that you have and the people who love you. Be still at times and known that God is merciful and will receive you with love. Count each day a blessing and be sure to tell each member of your family you love them. Acceptance is the key to serenity.

Bonz-All the advise has been given already, so I just want to wish you all the best.

Boolit Master
    can't add much to what others said. Make cards of you things values and attach seems an easy and not too dark advice. Also if your finances are in good order now the advice on buying whatever gun you wanted is sound. Then sell some of the guns you already have. Write a will.
    But the best advice I can give you is trust in God and keep you will to live. Don't believe doctors (no offense to the docs ok) believe in God Almighty and never give up. Grandma fought a cancer and won. She died 20yrs later at a ripe old age from other causes. My father had 6mo of life in 2000 due to a heart condition. He was looking so bad I didn't have the courage to keep seeing him in the hospital. 16yrs later the oldman is still rocking. Be praying. God bless you and your family.

Boolit Buddy

My buddy who passed last month had agreements in place to sell many of his upon his passing. By that I mean he had friends and family who had agreed to a set price for certain guns, he then logged who wanted what by serial number and what they had agreed to pay so all his wife and I had to do was look at his ledger and follow his instructions. Of course there was the chance some one would change their mind. In which case he had asked me to handle selling them and any which he had not pre sold.
    Noli Me Tangere

Boolit Buddy
    Bonz

Sorry to hear about your news. I found your account interesting as I was diagnosed with a second highly unusual lung disease a year and half ago and during the process of treatment for the first one they found a spot on my liver. The second lung disease carries a 50%/10 year survival rate. So I can relate to the question.

You likely have a pretty good idea what they are all worth. I keep a spreadsheet on the computer with all information about every firearm - when purchased, where, how much, accessories added, current value (my estimate of what I wold take for it). I at least have it all on paper to show anyone. My wife shoots but I would not call her an avid shooter so I would ask her if she wanted to keep any firearms like the two I purchased for her on mothers day I would decide which lot of firearms the kids might want and let them select from that lot. The rest would either go to a good local auction (I have seen guns bring way more than their current value, never less) or I would get with a LGS and see what kind of deal he would make me. In any case, the FFL piece would be taken care of. I do have a friend who has slobbered over a Winchester rifle I have and I said to him and my wife that if I go before him (he is 8 years older) then he gets it. Write things down, we just do not know how quickly things can go south on us with our health.

I guess above all, whatever you can do to relieve stress on you and your wife seems most prudent. That was and would be my focus. I have told my bride of 43 years I just don't want to leave a bunch of stuff for her to mess with. After all, it is all just "stuff" and has little value compared to life. My wife would be happy if she could move everything in a single pickup load which definitely is not happening right now. I have two kids who both have the handguns I have given them. Over the years I use the excuse of evening things out when I purchase a firearm. I have two AR's, two Dan's, two single sixes, etc., always thinking if I did not need the money the kids would just take turns picking from each group. They couldn't go wrong.

From my experience of working with others in your position, the more simplified you can make your life the better. If things progress in a negative way, you will have plenty to worry about. Stay focused on being positive and pray for your healing. The reality is none of us knows how much time we have.

Boolit Master

Bonz: Sorry to read here about your battles. Cancer is almost inevitable and I have three separate battles going - thyroid, stomach/esophagus, and prostate. If cancer doesn't get us, something else will. When my wife and I built our house, I had a separate man cave built into the basement. My son and I are the only ones with a key to the reloading room. Everything in the reloading room and surrounding area are his. I even made a separate listing of the firearms, powders, and all things pertaining thereto like the thousands of lbs. of lead, etc., will all be his. If I did not have a son interested in shooting, reloading, bullet casting, etc., I would put my "stuff" on the market for sure. Hope things work out for you. Best wishes. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 06-18-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: correction

Boolit Master
    You bought them to injoy...when u no longer injoy them , send them on there way and find something that makes you happy. Life is too short to be happy latter on and every day looking down at the grass instead of up at it should be lived to its full potential. Just my 2cts. Good luck and hope every thing goes well

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast