RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: When Do I Start Selling My Guns ?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range

When Do I Start Selling My Guns ?

When Do I Start Selling My Guns ? It's a great question, never really though too much about it until now. I have been a member of this site for years now and I have read posts about members getting sick and dying. I really don't want my wife to have to deal with selling my guns but at the same time, the Dr. can't tell me how much time I have left or even how much longer I will physically be able to shoot guns, cast, swage and reload.

My wife and I really love going to the range and shooting guns. In fact, a new shooting range opened up close to our house that has all the newest technologies; heat & A/C, Hepa filters, great lighting and lots of poofy perks for the elite members. Of course once my wife saw the elite members areas and all the perks, she wrote a check instantly. If I won a ton of money and wanted to build my own shooting range, I can't think of one thing that I would do different. The elite membership grants us 24x7x365 access to the range and elite members facility. My wife and I enjoy meeting other members and shooting all we want.

I have been battling bladder cancer since 2009 and have had so many surgeries and rude, uncomfortable things done to me, I can't count them. But it has always been non-aggressive & non-invasive.

Then, during a CT scan for something else, they saw lesions on my liver. My urologist that has been treating my bladder cancer ordered a biopsy of the largest lesion on my liver. It tested positive for bladder cancer which means the bladder cancer is now metastatic and it can attack anything.

So now, I have officially been upgraded to stage 4 bladder cancer; it has spread to my liver, lymph nodes in 2 different areas, etc. I suddenly have a new Dr., an Oncologist. His first plan was 6 cycles of Chemo but once he saw that the largest lesion on my liver doubled in size in 30 days, he changed his mind. I will now go thru 2 cycles of Chemo and then another Pet scan to see if the 2 cycles of Chemo fixed anything. If not, we will try something else. We could hear the urgency in his voice and we know that this is very serious.

So this is really a tough decision. I want to be able shoot & reload as long as I can enjoy it but I don't want to add the burden to my wife of disposing of all my guns & goodies when I get too sick to help.

Would love to hear your opinions on this. Charles
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 11-06-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: replaced original title
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Banned

I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, cancer scares the daylights out of me though I'm relatively healthy for a 50 year old.

My Dad who is 80 is facing this down now, he's had a couple of scares recently and is working with an auction house for some of his valuable stuff his sons aren't all that interested in. I'm not really the collector he is, but have taken a few off his hands that I like.

This is a dilemma all of us will face down eventually. If you have kids who are enthusiasts, talk it over with them. Otherwise you could give detailed instructions to your wife regarding values and such for how to dispose of them. If you and your wife shoot a lot together, I'd certainly want to keep doing that for as long as I could. Spend as much quality time with her as you can.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear of your situation. The easiest thing would be to first decide which guns are going to be kept by your wife and/or inherited by others. After that, I would talk to a gun shop about selling the rest on consignment after your death. Most shops around here will do that for a percentage of the sale price. Estate auctions are a total **** shoot on prices, and not all auction companies follow the law about selling guns. I've seen some very questionable looking individuals bidding high prices on guns at estate auctions conducted by non-FFL auctioneers. If she does have an auction company handle it make certain they have an FFL.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm deeply sorry for the news and understand your concerns.
    Hopefully, you have a trusted friend that will help your wife take care of the disposal of equipment and guns that she doesn't want to keep.
    I have such an arrangement and trust him explicitly.
    Discuss the subject with her first and then all three sit down and establish parameters.
    Doing it this way ensures beneficial results for her and your continued enjoyment.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, cancer scares the daylights out of me though I'm relatively healthy for a 50 year old.

My Dad who is 80 is facing this down now, he's had a couple of scares recently and is working with an auction house for some of his valuable stuff his sons aren't all that interested in. I'm not really the collector he is, but have taken a few off his hands that I like.

This is a dilemma all of us will face down eventually. If you have kids who are enthusiasts, talk it over with them. Otherwise you could give detailed instructions to your wife regarding values and such for how to dispose of them. If you and your wife shoot a lot together, I'd certainly want to keep doing that for as long as I could. Spend as much quality time with her as you can.
    Thank you for your response. I am only 60 but from what I have read, I have a 15% chance of another 5 years. The Dr. told us that no one knows how I will react to treatment or even how I will feel during and after treatment. My youngest brother loves guns & shooting as much as I do but has never reloaded. I will talk to him about driving here and picking up all my reloading stuff when the time comes. Will be up to him to keep it or sell all the fun stuff. The guns seem like they will be the biggest hassle. I'm going to talk with the owner of a local gun store that I have bought a lot of these guns from/thru. Just curious to see what he would charge to handle the FFL transfer. I have already talked with UPS and they told me that I would have to drive the packaged guns downtown to their main facility and the cost would be about $100 per gun on average.

Boolit Master

I am so very sorry to hear of your health issues - And do wish you complete restoration. Regarding your guns - Do you have any family or friends who you would like to leave them to? And have you asked your wife if they truly would be a burden to her? Very Difficult questions that I have contemplated many times in the wee hours of the night. I am going to look for folk in and around my life that I know will enjoy and appreciate them. I am making a list for my wife as to who should receive them. Some I will give away before I am gone - If I have time. I have friends who will help my wife with them when she decides when and how to proceede. God Bless You and Your Wife
    Being human is not for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Very sorry to hear of your situation. The easiest thing would be to first decide which guns are going to be kept by your wife and/or inherited by others. After that, I would talk to a gun shop about selling the rest on consignment after your death. Most shops around here will do that for a percentage of the sale price. Estate auctions are a total **** shoot on prices, and not all auction companies follow the law about selling guns. I've seen some very questionable looking individuals bidding high prices on guns at estate auctions conducted by non-FFL auctioneers. If she does have an auction company handle it make certain they have an FFL.
    Thanks for your response. I really want to make sure that my wife does not end up in a legal issues regarding my guns so I really want the sale to go thru a FFL. I'm going to talk with the owner of a local gun store that I have bought a lot of these guns from/thru. Just curious to see what he would charge to handle the FFL transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I'm deeply sorry for the news and understand your concerns.
    Hopefully, you have a trusted friend that will help your wife take care of the disposal of equipment and guns that she doesn't want to keep.
    I have such an arrangement and trust him explicitly.
    Discuss the subject with her first and then all three sit down and establish parameters.
    Doing it this way ensures beneficial results for her and your continued enjoyment.
    Thank you for your response. That is a very good idea and I will reach out to my local close friends to see what they think and if they would be willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    I am so very sorry to hear of your health issues - And do wish you complete restoration. Regarding your guns - Do you have any family or friends who you would like to leave them to? And have you asked your wife if they truly would be a burden to her? Very Difficult questions that I have contemplated many times in the wee hours of the night. I am going to look for folk in and around my life that I know will enjoy and appreciate them. I am making a list for my wife as to who should receive them. Some I will give away before I am gone - If I have time. I have friends who will help my wife with them when she decides when and how to proceede. God Bless You and Your Wife
    Thank you for your response. My wife and I have discussed the guns in detail since the bad news from the Dr. My youngest brother may be interested in a few, my wife wants to keep her favorites, but some will need to be sold. She asked me to get something in place or some type of arrangement. With my paycheck gone, she will obviously need the money from the sale to I need to get a fair price for the guns. We enjoy our time together at the range and I want to continue that as long as possible.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Thanks for your response. I really want to make sure that my wife does not end up in a legal issues regarding my guns so I really want the sale to go thru a FFL. I'm going to talk with the owner of a local gun store that I have bought a lot of these guns from/thru. Just curious to see what he would charge to handle the FFL transfer.
    Wow, first off let me say I'm sorry for what your are having to deal with. One of the gun stores I frequent for transfers sells guns on consignment as well. They don't move as fast as doing an auction but he gets a better price on them *and* he is a licensed FFL and handles all the paperwork. I believe he bases his fee on a % of the sale. I personally wrote my will to leave everything to my father in the event of an accident in trust til my sons 18th birthday. I suppose at some time I will have to admit to my wife the *real* price I paid for all those items so she doesn't get lowballed if she goes to sell them.

Dear Father above, please help our friend and fellow shooter Bonz through this terrible ordeal and let him smite this cancer with holy fire.

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about the cancer. Prayers sent that everything works out ok. Some great advise on what to do. I think the firearm issue is one of the many financial situations you will need to address and I commend you for looking out now for your wife's best interests. I would let her choose which she would like to keep, but not do anything until you both can no longer enjoy the hobby together. Having something to look forward to like reloading, shooting, etc. is also beneficial to recovery. Good luck.

Vendor Sponsor

Very sorry to hear of the cancer's growth and hope they can get you as much time as is possible.

I survived (so far) 35 rads and 3x badazz Cisplatin sessions in 2013 in my battle with tonsil cancer so I know how this stuff can go. I looked like a holocaust survivor that just got liberated. I am doing MUCH better now. Hopefully they can steer you into a clinical trial or something that will buy time.

I read of a treatment widely used in New Zealand where they use the blood of the giant keyhole limpet which attaches to the bladder cancer cells and the body's immune system then attacks the protein in the limpet blood and kills it which kills the cancer it attaches to as well. Supposedly they have cured bladder cancer 100% by using this method. The blood of the limpet contains a protein too complex to synthesize it by any known methods and so the treatment cannot be made readily available to lots of patients. I don't see where the bladder cancer needs to be localized to the bladder for this to work. It may be worth checking into. Wish you the best course of action and hopefully some recourse will be available to you.

Seems like you already know who to go to that can take care of the firearms.

As far as the non-firearm items, make a list of equipment and assign a rough value to them so in case they need to be sold at least this much would be done. You know what goes with what and can divide it into groups of related items that would make good deals.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-15-2016 at 04:06 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

Bonz
    very sorry to hear of your health issues.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Bonz,

I have no idea of what to tell you about when to start selling. All I can really say is if both you and your wife enjoy doing it together, don't be in a hurry to get rid of the guns you both like to shoot.

It has been close to twenty five years since I sold any guns via consignment, but IIRC the gun shops I used charged a percentage and I told them the least I would take.

Wishing for the best outcome,

Robert

Sorry about your illness...we have had our share in our family and it's disruptive and scary.

I'm 78 with failing lungs and serious arthritis. I've been slowing down over the last few years...I do still reload...I go to the indoor range and have a cart like luggage with a pull up handle...can't do the outdoor range as I can't get to the targets and get them changed quickly enough when they call a time out. If I have someone with me I can still do that...don't cast because of my lungs...

About 5 years ago my Wife and I did trusts, wills, living trusts with health care directives and the medical power of attorney...that is all done and on file with the doctor, with our hospital and with the kids (each grown and have a copy). I have several "collections" of different things...in a codicil to my will I name specific friends that are to get specific items and aside from those I've named a good friend that is a FFL in San Diego to take all the rest of the guns on consignment...I am slowly selling off a few now as well as reloading supplies that are excess.. I figure do what I can slowly and easily now and have things written down and let that be it for the rest of the stuff. Part of my collectable stuff is antique engines and machinery. Lots of "shysters" in that game and I've spelled out the people that get things free and also the ones that should be contacted and eliminated all the rest...Biggest thing was getting all the paperwork done with a competent attorney..I looked at the "do it on line" kind and passed...glad I did.

Stand strong and take care.

I'd shoot till I couldn't pull the handle on the press any more. Be well as you can.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    do you have an auctioneer that does alot of gun auctions in your area? if so talk to him. make a list for your wife and him. then when the time comes she makes one call and it is taken care of. if you have a large collection. even bigger acution companies will come and pick them up. i am lucky i live near reddings auction service in gettysburg pa. they are a major gun auction service. they have even gone to fl.to pick up guns for an auction. they do the ffl transfer the day of the sale all state and fed. laws are fallowed.

I'm so sorry to hear this - Cancer sucks - my wife fought thru her's and it was no picnic.
    You may also consider some of the other reputable auction sites if you don't get a local FFL to handle your stuff - Rock Island has auctions that go local
    http://www.rockislandauction.com/
    1-800-238-80227819 42nd Street West, Rock Island, IL 61201
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I had a different approach. In 2002 I was given a 60-40 chance of living 5 years (soft tissue sarcoma). I said "screw it," and started buying the guns that I've always wanted. Well, I'm still here (just turned 61) and I have a lot of cool guns. I can just about guarantee that you will outlive "healthy" people that you know right now - there's no rhyme or reason to fate. I'd say get that rifle, shotgun or handgun that you've always wanted and shoot 'till your hands hurt. We'll all be gone one day, and what happens after that day will happen as it was meant to happen.

Moderator Emeritus

If you have enough potential value, I think an auction is the way to go.

Pm sent
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast