Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 158 swc at 2000fps for deer?

158 swc at 2000fps for deer?

Has anyone used this combo in a .35 caliber rifle? I'm considering trying it. Gas check of course in my .358 Win. Thoughts and experiences? Best, Thomas.

Banned

hmm I'd maybe go to a 200gr boolit given that it's a 358 win.
    this would extend your range a bit, and insure complete pass through.

the 158 at that velocity is getting things up there for the weight and shape, I'd want to harden my alloy a bit to make sure I got a good pass through.
    try water dropping from the mold and compare to what your using now in some jug into paper testing.

there is a good sticky on using the 35 cal rifles for hunting and the issues that can be created from velocity and boolit shape.

Boolit Master

Many use that bullet in 357 for deer and that is only 1200-1400 fps.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    13.5gr of2400 behind 158gr rcbs gc swc gives 1530fps in my trapper not max load but most accurate.took a while to settle on that then found it was elmer Keith's /skeeter Skelton's load .could have saved a load of time but where would the fun in that.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that would be plenty for deer. Go forth and get some!

Boolit Master
    2000 fps and a stubby 158 SWC is not as good as 1750 and a 200 RN. at that speed the 158 will rapidly loose velocity, rainbow in trajectory, and deform dramatically on impact, expanding to 3/4" diameter or more and shedding mass before penetrating completely thru a deer broadside. a 200 will penetrate all the way thru, even from ******* to elbow, retaining mass.

slowing the 158 to about 1600 fps will keep it together and actually result in better penetration.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If your 158 SWC is a plainbase and not a GC design, attempting 2000 fps is a sure recipe for heavy leading and poor accuracy.

If it is a gaschecked bullet, then go for it with suitably hard and strong alloy and if accurate it will do the job.

I myself prefer a heavier bullet, but if you run quenched wheelweights at that velocity, terminal performance will be very good on game and the bullet will stay together.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Why that fast? At 1600 fps it will work just fine on deer out to 150 yards and be a lot more fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what rifle your 358 Win is but I would check how it cycles SWC through the action. Most factory loads will be spitzers or round noses. That would be my concern.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. My rifle is a Rem 700 adl (1965) rebored from a .243 by JES with 3 grooves. I'll try 1600 fps to start and test drive on pigs first. Thanks again.Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    2000 fps is leaning really hard on a 158 gr. bullet, water quenched or not, there are much better options out there unless that's all you have.
    Good luck & good hunting.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. My rifle is a Rem 700 adl (1965) rebored from a .243 by JES with 3 grooves. I'll try 1600 fps to start and test drive on pigs first. Thanks again.Best, Thomas.
    Lucky dog. Wish I had pigs to "test drive" my loads with
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    Djones- you can have ALL of the pigs in Texas. We won't miss them!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Djones- you can have ALL of the pigs in Texas. We won't miss them!
    Whao! Hang on now! We have plenty but don't give them all away! They make for some nice off season hunting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    Ditto's to that. Pigs, feral or otherwise, don't seem to do well in our climate. They may do well in Russian winter but a steady diet of rain mixed with snow at 33 degrees is rough on animals. That is why our Roosevelt elk are larger to retain heat and blacktail deer can disappear without moving for weeks at a time in winter. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your "test drive" of your 158's at 1600 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Whao! Hang on now! We have plenty but don't give them all away! They make for some nice off season hunting.
    Forgive me Rodwha; I spake as a farmer. I love to hunt them too! I just ordered some .358 swc 158 gr from Graf that are red. Will they stand 2000 fps? Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    I can drive a 180 Hornady to around 2300 out of my 35 Bullberry 14 Inch Contender. I am sure the same powder charge would push my NOE 360-180 faster than that. Your 358 RIFLE I am sure will go even faster if you want it to.
    My advice is use at least a 180 - 200 grain cast bullet with a Gas Check, and a Meplat of at least 70%. Next make sure it will feed from the magazine. I would probably not hot rod it to maximum velocity.

Bob

Vendor Sponsor
    If I had a 358 Win and wanted a mould for it I probably wouldn't choose a 158gr boolit. But if that is what I had I sure wouldn't hesitate to take it hunting. Good luck.

Thanks guys for the advice. I want to get a true rifle bullet mould for this rifle but first try these 158 swc for research. I'll chime in later with some results. Have a blessed day. Best, Thomas.

Banned

the rcbs 200 gr is a pretty fair fit, I use the saeco 250 and push it pretty hard.
    I have no doubts that is every bit as effective as anything with a copper wrapper would be on anything I'd need it for.