RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: heirloom seed trade/giveaway/swap/borrow/loan thread

Boolit Grand Master

I grew okra again this year . See post #17 ...this year I have grown the green bush okra and red okra . The red okra is tall , with red and greenish stems , leaves and red okra pods a burgandy color the flowers are a bright yellow...good looking plant .
    Again, anyone wanting seeds, send me a long stamped self addressed envelope and I will send them to you , red , green or both . Save them for next years planting . Soak in water and plant sprouted seeds . Okra is about as hard to grow as weeds...that's why I do it ...and I like okra and shrimp gumbo .
    No body requested seeds last year...I guess I'm the only one who grows it but I save seeds every year and replant from them .
    PM for my mailing address
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-15-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I grow the red red okra, and save the seed. I try and plant early and save the earliest pods for seed, as there is less chance of someone's green okra crossing with it!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I grow the red red okra, and save the seed. I try and plant early and save the earliest pods for seed, as there is less chance of someone's green okra crossing with it!
    I grew the red and green side by side and didn't even think about it crossing...kind of interested in what those seeds will produce next year !
    Adventures in gardening are always fun...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I'm saving a bunch of Green Bush Okra seeds to give away . If you would like some just send me a stamped self addressed envelope and I will send them , PM for my mailing address and let me know how many okra plants you want to grow . I send 2X + extra seeds in case some don't sprout .
    These bush okra plants grow about 52 inches tall and produce lots of okra...I'm still cutting pods and it's still making flowers for more .
    I cut the okra off the plant , slice it into a gallon freezer bag and it will stay good over a year frozen . It's the easiest vegetable to put up and not many pests bother it ...almost like growing a weed !
    The 4 bushes I planted have produce five 1-gallon bags of sliced frozen okra and that includes one big pot of shrimp and okra gumbo cooked already and I'm starting another bag tomorrow.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    GW, do you top that Bush okra? I ask, because I top my red okra when it's chest high. Then it puts out side shoots to really put on the pods!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    GW, do you top that Bush okra? I ask, because I top my red okra when it's chest high. Then it puts out side shoots to really put on the pods!
    No , I just plant both types tall red type and bush green type and let nature take it's course .
    The bush type okra sends out side plants from down low , I do trim the spent old limbs off and new sections come up and take the old ones places...it sort of self tops .
    PM me if you would like some free green bush seeds ... I got plenty .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I will have Trinidad scorpion pepper seeds this fall if anybody sees fit! (Red Cardi)
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    I garden every year. I would love to receive seeds from Nagantguy, MaryB, and Rancher1913.

Nagantguy - 'maters, squash , pumpkins, erbs, greens, beets

MaryB - San Marzano tomatoes and acorn squash

Rancher1913 - spaghetti, long island, butternut, pumpkin

My garden is small. It is divided into six areas in and around my yard. We mostly grow tomatoes with some squash and cucumbers. We usually buy plants. This year we did some experiments.
    Some tomatoes with "grow caps" planted early. Squash plants and squash seeds (All plants from seeds were eaten within days! We suspect earwigs!)
    This year the weather was very strange. The tomatoes in the "grow caps" were in the ground much longer than we expected to need them. The weather always had a one week forecast of below 50 degrees in the coming week so the "grow caps" stayed on for a month rather than the week or two we expected. When the "grow caps" came off, we planted more tomatoes. We seem to have gone from "cold" to "hot" instantly! Under 50 to over 90. Most of our tomatoes are Rutgers which we love for eating. They are also good for canning and sauce/paste. We did our first canning last year. We intend to can more this year. We want to can each weekend they are ripening.
    We want to learn how to save seeds. We have "Seed to Seed" to help us learn.
    I quit gardening a few years ago. I figured that the last batch of tomatoes I harvested cost me $300 a pound. Didn't even get two pounds. I believe I have a black thumb. Grandma had a green thumb. Somehow, I kill plants. (except that it doesn't work on weeds.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I grew the red and green side by side and didn't even think about it crossing...kind of interested in what those seeds will produce next year !
    Adventures in gardening are always fun...
    Gary
    Last year I planted some of the seeds saved from 2019 , the year I planted Green Bush Okra next to Tall Red Okra ... Low and Behold I got a couple cross overs ... a low green bush with reddish tinges and out the middle a tall red stalk . The low bush part made mostly green okra pods and the tall stalk made mostly red okra pods ... but you could tell ... some bee had done a cross pollination job .
    The first to request Okra Seeds since we started this was fellow member curdog up in Southern Illinois !!!... I sent him some of both tall red and green bush ... and I bet some hybrids are in there . You don't know what crossed untill you plant it ... Then It's ... Surprise !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Gary thanks again for the seed. We will see what it does when it warms up it is 42 degrees here this morning........................Curdog

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    Gary thanks again for the seed. We will see what it does when it warms up it is 42 degrees here this morning........................Curdog
    42 !!! ... A cool front came through last night , brought rain and cooler weather ... it's a pleasant 72 degrees right now ... it has been in the 80's .

When do you get warm enough to plant things ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    We usually got stuff planted by now.

Boolit Master
    Anyone have any Northern suited heirloom mater seeds?

Moderator Emeritus

My cat knocked mine over this year... lost them all... I can check with a friend and see if she has any extras. She only grows heirlooms or heirloom hybrids(she developed one that I need seeds for, an orange tomato that is super sweet and meaty...).

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Anyone run into gold raspberry plants locally this year yet? I think I had a fall gold. It must have got crowed out of and dies last year. I had black, red and gold together. Read not to grow Red or Gold next black. They’ve been going strong for years until last year. I just weeded out the old dead growth from the last couple years yesterday. It looks pretty sparse now. I also had a “junk berry” raspberry bush take over a few years ago I dug up so I have room. It had weird stems that looked like a start shape and put off berries that looked like wild black caps that grown on my hunting property. Figured I’d ask if anyone has seen them available at Home Depot, Menards, Walmart,ext. I checked locally and nothing but the normal reds. Walmart had a pink colored one I’ll have to check and see what it was again. Think I might have some ground cherry, delicata,and extra winter squash seeds I gutted from my crops last year. I always wanted to try the purple rooted plant they use for purple bread in Hawaii. Don’t remember what it was. I remember they grow extremely tall and take up way to much space.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-30-2022 at 07:49 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't been looking because I can't eat them (diverticulosis) and have no room anyway.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I haven't been looking because I can't eat them (diverticulosis) and have no room anyway.
    I run them thru the berry screen on my tomato strainer, slightly thicken the juice/add a bit of sugar. Pour over ice cream, oatmeal, waffles...

Looks like the Easter bunny is bringing me 3, two year old, bare root Anne golden raspberry plants. See what happens when you still believe! Lol. I’ll have to research the procedure on planting bare root raspberry plants. I’ve don’t with roses but don’t know it it’s the same way.

Never fails, drove by Home depot today and they had 5 fall gold raspberry plants. I called last week and I was told they NEVER get them in. Two out of the 5 total plants in stock had green buds and leaf growth. I bought the bigger of the two. I will plant it along with my 3 bare Root Anne golds once it warms up enough to do so. I just potted my 3 bare root Anne's in the house to get them going. Going to drop to 30 tonight. Better not kill my fruit buds on the trees.

Boolit Master

I don't have anything to trade but, would be willing to pay for some horseradish roots to try and get some started. I don't know if it will grow in Florida but, would sure like to try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast