MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: heirloom seed trade/giveaway/swap/borrow/loan thread

Banned

heirloom seed trade/giveaway/swap/borrow/loan thread

okay here it is.
    this thread is to be used for trading/giving etc. of garden seeds.

put up what you need or have and claim it etc. here.
    it's up to the giver to decide who get's what.

no whining..........especially to me

Boolit Master

I am looking to trade red soft neck and/or elephant garlic for music garlic.....dale

Boolit Master

Would like some pablano pepper seeds , mine are on 3rd generation and never did as well tasted as rich as I thought they should...have lots to trade...to much to post here but lots of peppers, 'maters, squash , pumpkins, erbs, greens, beets, lots.....

Boolit Master

Willing to give/ trade seeds and advice on gardening especially seed saving and seed banks. Food independence is a must for any truly free people!

Boolit Master

we have lots of "winter" squash, it keeps all winter. spaghetti, long island, butternut, pumpkin.

Moderator Emeritus

If my acorn squash come in well I should have a bunch of heirloom seeds. Only variety I planted this year in the main garden. I put another variety of acorn squash 100 feet away so they shouldn't cross breed(I hope!). Will have lots of San Marzano seeds too(I put in 20 plants!!) because I use a ton of tomato sauce in cooking. My kale is seeding out but I don't remember the variety... it was very hardy and survived the winter in Minnesota though! I dug down to it and picked kale in January!

Boolit Master

I garden every year. I would love to receive seeds from Nagantguy, MaryB, and Rancher1913.

Nagantguy - 'maters, squash , pumpkins, erbs, greens, beets

MaryB - San Marzano tomatoes and acorn squash

Rancher1913 - spaghetti, long island, butternut, pumpkin

My garden is small. It is divided into six areas in and around my yard. We mostly grow tomatoes with some squash and cucumbers. We usually buy plants. This year we did some experiments.
    Some tomatoes with "grow caps" planted early. Squash plants and squash seeds (All plants from seeds were eaten within days! We suspect earwigs!)
    This year the weather was very strange. The tomatoes in the "grow caps" were in the ground much longer than we expected to need them. The weather always had a one week forecast of below 50 degrees in the coming week so the "grow caps" stayed on for a month rather than the week or two we expected. When the "grow caps" came off, we planted more tomatoes. We seem to have gone from "cold" to "hot" instantly! Under 50 to over 90. Most of our tomatoes are Rutgers which we love for eating. They are also good for canning and sauce/paste. We did our first canning last year. We intend to can more this year. We want to can each weekend they are ripening.
    We want to learn how to save seeds. We have "Seed to Seed" to help us learn.

Perm-Banned
    i will have a 2nd generation landrace winter squash this fall, crossed with hubbard and guatamalan blues, very sweet, large, vigerous and good keeper. if crop comes in will have sacks of seeds to give away.

Boolit Master

Brass, for most all garden pests a pump up sprayer filler with coffee and hot sauce of your choosing sprayed liberally on the plants at night seems to work well, we have a real.slug problem, the hot sauce burns their skin, the coffee speeds up their heart to fatal levels. Seems to work for horn worms, cucumber beetles and repels birds, some delicate leaves may get lightly stained buy the coffee but I've never had it harm anything, the caffeine is good for the tomatoes. You can wash it off when you pick or have a nice spicy pick me up at dinner time!!!. Seems to deter voles as well I think it hurts their feet and noses.

Boolit Master
    I do not have anything to contribute yet...but since this looks so much fun I'm going to plant all heirlooms next year and start saving seeds myself. My "volunteer" garden at the compost pile is still growing gangbusters even with all this rain. Found 3 new tomato plants had sprouted and already got some little green ones, and some pumpkins are almost ready surprisingly. No clue what they came from, but hope they taste good.

Once this rain gets sorted out I may plow everything up and put down some okra.

i should have some Kale seeds shortly from 2 plants that made it through the winter. I think the microclimate here puts me in zone 4a, most of the area is zone 2-3a so I think I'm must be getting near a banana belt.
    Last edited by Cariboo; 06-16-2016 at 01:23 AM.
    enjoy your day
    Cariboo

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master

brass, if you want a crash course in garden to jar canning stop by sometime, my wife likes showing short cuts and production canning. our garden is normal size this year, about 3 or 4 acres.

Boolit Master
    Anyone interested in reviving this old thread since garden season is basically upon us?
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am looking for hot peppers. Id be happy to pay or glad for someone to point me to some suggested peppers and a pervayor.

Boolit Master
    https://www.rareseeds.com/
    I got some chocolate tomato seeds from them earlier this year.

Moderator Emeritus

Those chocolate tomatoes from them were pretty tasty! I had 8 plants of them growing. They are also my main seed source. If you are a lettuce fan this one is super tasty https://www.rareseeds.com/tom-thumb-lettuce/ and slow to bolt for me. Grew more like a leaf lettuce but I am still planting a bunch again this year. I need to check seeds, I may have a bunch extra of that lettuce... I let it go to seed last year and got a lot of seed. Used some this winter growing it in my bay window for fresh greens.

Boolit Grand Master

I planted a bush type green okra , it grows about 42 inches high and 42 inches in diameter, not tall and skinny like most okra . Green foliage , yellow flowers with pods that will quickly get 8 inches long.
    Heavy producer . Some days I couldn't get out to cut it (rain) and the pods became too big and tough .
    I'm letting them mature for seeds. I'm going to need only about 12 seeds... I sprout them in water and plant sprouted seed in the bed and will only need 6 plants for myself. Each dried pod will contain a good 50 seeds. I should have about 500 seeds to give away.

I know okra isn't the most popular vegetable but it is good fried and makes a good Gumbo and is as easy to grow as poison ivy . So if you would like some Green Bush Okra Seeds , PM for my address and send me a stamped , self addressed envelope , you will get you a packet of 25 seeds ( or 2 packets if you want ). Might be fun if you've never grown okra .... I can't think of anything easier to grow and simply slice the okra pods into a freezer bag , keep in the freezer until you need them for gumbo...that's easy !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I used to have alot of heirloom seeds back when. Most of them are gone for one reason or another. I coulda lived without a portion of them, or started over to get them again.

The best dad blamed corn for cornmeal and cornbread I ever had were left over from my great grandad. The old paper bag they originally came out of said "#9 yeller dent" and had a price of "3lb 37¢" on it from the old Co-oP in a nearby town. About twenty years ago a critter managed to bust the old ball mason jar I had 'em and their offspring stored in, and ate 'em up. Now I have people tell me there never was a #9 Yellow Dent corn.... *sigh*

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

GoodOlBoy, Don't you believe what them Ya-Hoo's are telling you...Of course Yellow Dent Corn existed and in fact ....it still exists. You can get Yellow Dent Corn Seed from Sustainable Seed Company, Southern Exposure .com , Urban Farmer....just do a google search on the term
    "#9 Yellow Dent Seed Corn". It's also referred to as Reid's Yellow Dent Corn.... Robert Reid developed it in 1847, his son , James Reid worked on improving it from 1870 to 1900, even though it's not called #9 , I would bet money it's the same corn .

Those were just the first three places that popped up ...there were three more companies just on the first page....there has been a slight change....1 pound of seed is now $12.00 !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    GoodOlBoy, Don't you believe what them Ya-Hoo's are telling you...Of course Yellow Dent Corn existed and in fact ....it still exists. You can get Yellow Dent Corn Seed from Sustainable Seed Company, Southern Exposure .com , Urban Farmer....just do a google search on the term
    "#9 Yellow Dent Seed Corn". It's also referred to as Reid's Yellow Dent Corn.... Robert Reid developed it in 1847, his son , James Reid worked on improving it from 1870 to 1900, even though it's not called #9 , I would bet money it's the same corn .

Those were just the first three places that popped up ...there were three more companies just on the first page....there has been a slight change....1 pound of seed is now $12.00 !!!
    Gary
    Thanks Gary. $12 a pound, my great grandad would have had a stroke, and a conniption both If I'm up to doin' a garden come spring, I might just have to spring for some. With all the deer and coon around here I doubt I'll get an ear to take to a gristmill, but it might be fun to chase 'em for the heck of it. Put out some purple hulls for good measure so I can have peas 'n cornbread! Now to find some bacon on the hoof, can't have peas 'n cornbread without bacon in the peas... oh and some garlic and onion, but wouldn't take much to build a garlic and onion bed again. Might even do some shallots.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast