Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 458 Socom optic options

458 Socom optic options

I just picked up a RR 458 socom, so now I need an optic on it. I was thinking about an Meprolight M21. But then again may be a low powered scope would work better. The main reason of this rifle is hunting and range work. I plan on keeping shots to 150 yds or less mostly less I'm sure. Thanks for looking. And if anyone has any pet loads the info would be appreciated. Hunting would be mostly White tail deer and maybe a hog or two.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	458.PNG 
Views:	70 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	169998 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	458s.PNG 
Views:	97 
Size:	312.3 KB 
ID:	169999

A red dot will work. I have a 1-4 scope on my Tromix. For hunting IMO you are better off with some magnification, helps to identify the targets better. A lot of guys run 3-9 scopes but that is overkill IMO. There are a lot of 1-4, 1-6 and 2-7 scopes out there which are not huge in size and robust.

I was thinking about a 1-4 or 6 scope. The Trijicon scope are great but too pricey for me for what you get. Burris makes some fine scope at a much better price. Was thinking of getting the Meprolight and adding a magnifier. I'm still up in the air about it. Just not king on sights that rely on batteries just have a fear about them going out when you need them, and if ever an EMP was to ever happen your sights would be useless.

Boolit Master

I'm running a Meopta 1-4 x 24 with a red dot in the middle of the reticle on a 50 Beowulf. The mount is a Larue cantilever and is holding up well. I thought about a Trijicon mrd but I'm happy with what I got.

I've got an Eotech XPS2-0 on my RRA LAR: good out to 100 yards, but I'm looking at a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 for a bit more reach.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Last words of Major General John Sedgwick, Battle of Spotsylvania.

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by tcrocker View Post
    I was thinking about a 1-4 or 6 scope. The Trijicon scope are great but too pricey for me for what you get. Burris makes some fine scope at a much better price. Was thinking of getting the Meprolight and adding a magnifier. I'm still up in the air about it. Just not king on sights that rely on batteries just have a fear about them going out when you need them, and if ever an EMP was to ever happen your sights would be useless.
    The red dot and a magnifier is an option but most mags are 3X. That combo does get a little heavy and bulky depending on the red dot and magnifier though. I have fold down irons on all my ARs and QD optic mounts OR I keep the wrench to remove the mount in the grip or stock of the rifle. This way if an optic craps out I can pull it off and just use the iron sights. On my .458 I have a Magpul Mbus PRO LR sight on the rear and Mbus PRO on the front.

Boolit Buddy
    My build is wearing a Vortex Spitfire 3X Prism scope, for me it works for short range hunting or at the range shooting milk jugs and pop cans. I don't remember how much I paid for it and I guess it doesn't really matter cause I really like it. Have had no problems with it and I would recommend it for exactly what you want it for.

I was throwing 472 grain PC'd lead boollets with it over large pistol mag. primers and R7, but I don't remember how many grains it was. It has never, and probably never will, ate a store bought bullet, because it is very rare when I see 458 bullets on the shelf, and when I do they want 85 to 100 pennies or more for each bullet.

But then on the other hand, it is such a fun toy to play with, you will enjoy it.

Boolit Master

the vortex viper pst 1-4 is a pretty decent scope for the money. also the leupold vxr are good for about the same money.

Boolit Master
    Vortex makes the strike Eagle which is a 1-6x24 with a 30mm tube. I bought one for a friend to put on his Kel Tek RFB. I like it quite a bit and have been thinking about putting one on my AR-10 Carbine.
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/category...le_riflescopes

Banned

My beo has wore a trigicon 1x4 an acog, a vortex 3x prism and a 1x4 vx1 leupold. Ive hunted with all of them and all do fine for that. For a combo hunting/defense sight its nice to have a lit one and for the most part anymore the 1x4 trigicon stays on it. You have to keep in mind that like with yours theres some recoil and an at tends to get beat around a bit more then a fancy walnut bolt gun so in my opinion its not the place to go cheap. If inexpensive is what you want and its stickily going to be a hunting gun then id look at a quality 1x4 scope.

I put a Vortex 3-9 on my 50 beowulf for hunting purposes. So far it has stood up to the recoil just fine. I know if it ever goes a bit wonky, Vortex will stand behind it and honor their lifetime warranty, which is a big plus to me

Boolit Master

I recently built up an AR15 to meet the new service rifle rules for National Match or CMP shooting. The new rules allow up to a 4.5 X scope sight so I bought the Leupold 1.5 to 4 X AR scope with the "Firedot" reticle. It is an illuminated green dot at the intersection of the cross hairs so one can use the scope as a conventional scope or as an electric dot scope in dim light. You can turn it off an on as well as its intensity with a push switch in the left side turret.

I really didn't need the "Firedot" reticle, but the scope had some other bells and whistles that I wanted for a service rifle. I've now found it quite useful. The optics on it are first class and at 4X it will certainly suffice for you intended purposes out to a couple of hundred yards and at 1.5X and with the the dot lit you can use it in very dim light and still hit your target.

Like all Leupold scopes, it is rugged to the Nth degree.

Here's a link:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...C1105202454813
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned

tell you another leupold that might fill the bill. Recently I had a redfield dot go bad and leupold didn't make that model anymore and the only thing they could replace it with in that price range that had a low power level was the 1x4 hog hunter. Its basically a 1x4 vx1 that has a heavy European style reticle and hold over lines in it. Might make a good ar scope. the reticle should be fast and easy to see in low light and still have precision for long shots. If you look around they can be found for less then 200 bucks.

Boolit Master

As I get older, I prefer more magnification over 4x for over 100m and would also look at the new to market 1-6s with a firedot style reticle for low light/brush hunting. Nothing worse than a quick snap shot at something an loose the reticle in a reduced light environment. The other thing that has popped up also in the past few year is a stigmatism in my eyes causing a red dot sight to appear more as a figure 8 instead of a crisp round dot so the reticle is alittle more precise for aimed fire yet the rd is availabe for speed situation.