Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder rehash for 30-30 lever gun

Powder rehash for 30-30 lever gun

I just bought a nice 336c Marlin 30-30. I'm gathering supplies to reload.ill probably cast a 150-160 grain rnfp non gc to start,but have no clue which powders to look for.all I have that might work would be 800x,but is it to fast,and would I even find data?
    also someone mentioned the 336marlins like a bigger bullet .311 so I'd like confirmation on that.i haven't slugged yet,just got the Marlin this afternoon,thanks
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    Slug that barrel..............no two firearms are exactly alike. You'll be glad you did. Ton's of 30-30 load data in all the books. Best do the research yourself so you don't inherit someone elses mistake. You'll like that 336........it's a great rifle.
    Chris

Banned

they do.
    and the 800-x will work, your only going to 12-1300 fps anyway.
    start at about 8 grs and move upward 1/2gr at a time until your happy. [or close to 12 grs]
    somewhere around 10 should work well.

Banned

Best I found was 3031 followed by Varget and 4898 gets mentioned too.
    I never had much luck with fast powders.
    Best size for my Marlin is .311 with a .301 bore ride.
    I was getting a lot of boolit run out until I trued the necks.

Boolit Buddy
    My 336RC slugs at .308

Banned

^^^ Don't know how old your gun is. Current production 336s are close to spec and the older ones have larger bores.

Boolit Grand Master
    31141 with 4759 clone or 4227. Around 1.5" at 50 yards. 1577 at 15.5 gr. 4729 clone.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

As you are going sans gas check, the faster pistol powders are the top choice for velocities right at 1,100 to 1,200. You'll get leading at velocities much above that without gas checks. I use Bullseye powder in this application with good results.

Good luck with your new Marlin.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Tac works well with boolit's and jacketed bullets ramshot manual gives loads for both.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    ^^^ Don't know how old your gun is. Current production 336s are close to spec and the older ones have larger bores.
    It was made in 1951

Boolit Master

I would second the Bullseye for the 1100-1200fps loads. Very accurate and amazingly uniform ballistics in that big case with no fillers!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

If you are just wanting to get the "FEEL" and shoot your new toy then the 800x will work. Depending on if it is ballard or micro groove will make a difference. IMO I would cast them large or enough to chamber and hard or WD. The softer the boolit the more powder, the harder the less powder will be needed going hand in hand with the diameter. So, if you have a tight bore regardless of the .0005 dimensions the larger boolit will work with less powder. I am referring to the 1/2 gr increments as 5R5 in his stated suggestion. Just about any of the shotgun powders will work as well as rifle powders to start with to get the "FEEL" of the 336. If you are looking for 1 MOA regardless of @ 50 or 100 your going to need to do a lot of tinkering.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    If you are looking to obtain velocities in the 2200fps to 2300 fps area, look at either H-4831 or LeveRevolution, if you are looking for 1100 fps area, 7g of Unique and the NOE 311165PB shoots very well in my old Marlin 336.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Many, many years ago I was given 5lb of 800X all of which I burnt up pushing cast out of .22 Hornet (5gr), .32-20 (5gr), .303 Brit (13gr) and 8X57 (13gr). Doesn't meter worth a damn but free is free and it shot great. For .30-30 10gr will put you around 1500fps I would guess and be fine. Fluffy powder so will also fill a lot of a the case.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    My favorite or 30WCF was 3031, followed by BLC-2. I mostly use Unique for that, because I have it. 800X should be excellent if you hand weigh each charge to get consistent result.

prs

I have been using 8.5gr Reddot with my 155gr cast 30-30 powder coated. Not a fast load but accurate enough on steel plates at 100yds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    My favorite or 30WCF was 3031, followed by BLC-2. I mostly use Unique for that, because I have it. 800X should be excellent if you hand weigh each charge to get consistent result.

prs
    Those are the two I use also, but granted im just starting to work up loads, and bullets for mine.

Boolit Master
    adi 2206h(4895) for high velocity stuff pp or gc.
    Bulleye for light loads

Boolit Master
    31141 w/GC, 3.2 gr. Bullseye, sub 1" at 50 yards, Savage 24 w/red dot sight.

Same rig with SR4759 in the range of 15 grains will put 10 in a 3" wad at the same distance from an elbow rest. Trigger is awful...that's my excuse.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by typz2slo View Post
    I have been using 8.5gr Reddot with my 155gr cast 30-30 powder coated. Not a fast load but accurate enough on steel plates at 100yds.
    I also use red dot and shoots well.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast