Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $100.00 Dollar Mold Mistake

Boolit Buddy

$100.00 Dollar Mold Mistake

Well made a very big mistake tonight, it's all my fault, but lesson learned. Decided to cast up some 45/70 with a brand new NOE mold. The mold had been cleaned and broke in just like Al said to do, and just like I've done for my other 6 NOE molds. so I brought the mold up to temp letting it heat up on the Saeco while the lead was melting, started casting and had wrinkled bullets so warmed the lead up to 675 let the mold to heat up a little and bang started pouring good bullets. But I got caught up in the casting that I didn't let the mold cool enough after a set number of pours, granted I was not getting any frosted bullets, then it happened Mold to hot the front alignment pin sunk into the mold on a bullet dump, didn't catch it closed the sprue plate and slightly gouged the top of the mold. Now I've got a 100.00 mistake (my own). Really sucks. I even bought new handles for this mold, and still not ruling out that they may be misaligned as well. lesson learned

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    'Never seen that happen. And I cast quite a bit hotter than 675. And fast too. Maybe I been lucky, but I have never had an alignment pin move on any mold. My condolences.... maybe it can be repaired.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    It might fairly simple to clean it up. Got pics?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    It might fairly simple to clean it up. Got pics?
    This is true...

Just last week, I straightened out one that I bought that had been done like this. It only took 5 minutes to put it in perfect working order...and no real evidence that it ever happened. No big deal...just depends on how bad.

Remember, these aren't finely tuned instruments that we are using...pretty close, will work well enough for most of what we do with these things.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 06-10-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    yep can't explain it either, I had only gotten 64 bullets from her then pow. I tried to drift it back into place while the mold was hot but the pin wouldn't move and I didn't want to do any more damage than had already been done. I'm going to call AL on Monday let him know what happened and see if there is any thing that can be done to save it, or if I just need to buy another mold, guess now I need to wait on a four banger.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm pretty sure Al Nelson will make it right. Give him a call.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to. But this is my mistake, not his. Just gonna see if she can be fixed, and if he can I think I'm going to see if he will machine out the gas check on the other one, to give me to FB. Just sucks

Boolit Buddy
    I can text a pic if someone can load on here for me.

Perma-Banned

pm coming

I've only had a pin walk out on one mold. It was a lee 2 cavity (which likely got way too hot anyway). That said, I have 2 noe and several lee molds that I cast 750 degree alloy with and they have yet to give me any trouble. Well 750 is what the thermometer says. Every few pours I cool them on a damp sponge.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Perma-Banned

I will have to say, that I have not had one that walked that much...I would probably text that pic to AL and follow his recommendation on it. I would almost wonder if there was some issue with the alum around that pin...JMO

Now, this is just me, I could fix that mold...but I am suggesting that you defer to Al...unless you are game to give it a try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1090_zpsmjjtewek.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	169929
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 06-10-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I normally let them cool very ten pours or so, unless I'm running my hollow point molds, this is the first NOE I've had this happen too. My Saeco 24 runs its temps right at or about 20 25 degrees cooler than the dial so I set it at 700, put my thermometer in and the lead said 675-680. That's normally where I cast at and have had no problems. I run my HP's a little hotter. So I probably let the mold get to hot while warming up.

Perma-Banned

I have a couple of alum molds that really like it hot...and I have cast some pretty long sessions with them, not allowed a lot of time for cooling and I have never experienced that.

i got a Lee mold that was a group buy off the site for the 480ruger 400gr keith style and it was casting out of round, so after looking trhings over there was a pin that had dropped back some. tweaked it some and all is well.
    Charlie

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    i got a Lee mold that was a group buy off the site for the 480ruger 400gr keith style and it was casting out of round, so after looking trhings over there was a pin that had dropped back some. tweaked it some and all is well.
    Charlie
    Yeah, I agree, this mold can be fixed.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am actually surprised there isn't more alignment pin drifting when using aluminum molds and steel pins, due to the different expansion ratios involved. With that written, I have only had problems with one Lee six cavity mold.

Robert

Banned

AL will fix it no problem.
    he put it in there the first time.
    what happens is that the steel insert and the aluminum mold have different expansion rates and sometimes the insert doesn't swell up as quick.
    we went through this with the HM-2 molds in the testing process, and made some changes because of it.
    it's an easy repair.

Boolit Master
    It would be most easily fixed if you have an accurately moulded bullet. Drive out the alignment pins, and use the bullet as the sole means of aligning the mould halves. If you like you could use a light film of wax to stick the whole thing together. Then ream the alignment pin holes to fit a larger size of drill rod. If I am right in thinking the top surface of the mould is gouge marked, you can very likely put it right by rubbing on successive grades of abrasive paper, starting with very coarse, held on a flat surface. Removal of metal which isn't enough to prevent proper seating of a gas check might make a lot of difference.

Made in U.S.A.
    sfcairborne

Send it back to me
    Will fix or replace it - the pins should not move.
    NOE Bullet Moulds
    1030 S 350 E
    Provo, UT 84606

Bullet maker, maker
    Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedeNelson View Post
    .........the pins should not move.
    Bullet maker, maker
    Swede Nelson
    That's what I'm saying.

And lookit the customer service from these folks! 'Must be why I got a whole shelf of stuff with their name on it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast