MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: 1st centerfire rifle

Boolit Man

1st centerfire rifle

Ill try to be brief. Thinking of a Mossberg Patriot in .243. Not really a hunter but I'd like the option. Been casting
    ACWW with a little tin successfully for a couple of 9mm handguns.

The rifle has a twist rate of 1:9.5. Can cast boolits be done with such a twist rate? I realize there are several variables, alloy, bullet weight, etc. Accuracy is a big thing for me (as for most) so if other cartridges let themselves more readily to casting, I'm listening. Also thought about the 270 Win.

I also have a few clues about other stuff I'll need; gas checks, etc.

Looking for a little insight from the casting community; any offhand advice would greatly appreciated. I know the 45-70 might be easier to cast for but I'm not really into that cartridge.

I know the Mossberg Patriot won't fare well with the gun snobs out there, but it's entry level for me to see how far I actually take to it.

Thanks folks, truly appreciate your help here.

Boolit Master
    Mossberg Patriot looks like a fine rifle. The .243 may not be the best rifle cartridge to start using cast bullets. Maybe a .308? While I shoot a .243 quite a bit, I don't spend much time using cast in it. Since you do reload, the .308 can cover the .243 with the lighter .308 jacketed and the selection/availability of .30 caliber cast boolits and molds is tremendous. Again the .243 is a very good cartridge, but the .308 will probably work better for cast bullets, especially as a first cast boolit rifle. I would suggest you start with a gas check design as accuracy seems easier to attain. The Lee Push through sizer woeks well. A 'stepped neck expander sized properly for cast boolits makes successful bullet seating easier, NOE or maybe Lyman for the right diameters. All twist rates can work with the proper bullet and velocity, cast or jacketed. Lots of stuff to read here and other places. Many opinions, almost all are correct for some case, some general, some VERY specific. ENJOY !

Boolit Master

I'm in agreement with MostlyLeverGuns.

I too load for the 243, but only jacketed bullets. It's a great boar and deer killer, but it is a bit hard on barrels if you shoot it much at full throttle.

I too would suggest a 30 calibre cartridge for cast boolits if that is what you want to shoot. I don't know if the Mossberg comes in 30/06, but the old Ought-Six is always a good choice for most anything as is the 308.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Agree that a 30 cal would be a better choice for lead boolits. The mold designs have had more development. A .308 Win or 30-06 would be ideal.

I've been impressed by the entry level rifle choices available out there recently. Pick the one that fits you comfortably and has the stock and trigger options that you want. Check on the availability of after market stuff for your choice, too. I think I threw a Mossberg Patriot to my shoulder and liked it, recently.

Boolit Master

For sure a 30 cal. 243 is a touchy caliber to shoot cast in and molds are limited. 308 can be downloaded to reduce recoil, works with cast and can be uploaded to hunt most north American game.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Banned

The .308 is probably the most forgiving and one of the most versatile cartriges to reload for. If recoil is a concern, Hogdon published youth loads and that's what I used when my youngest son started deer hunting, 37 grains of H4895 and a 125 grain jacketed bullet. Worked like a champ and recoil is less than a .243 factory load, killed deer quite dead.

For cast, there is none better. I'm personally a big .30-06 fan for a lot of the same reasons, but the .308 is probably the best overall from a versatility and ease of loading perspective.

Boolit Master

I have never been a fan of the .243
    for versatility go with the .308

like richhodg66 I too used the 125 (flat nose) gr loaded on the low side and its great on deer.

atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

in Remebrance
    jcren: Whaaat? I don' unnerstand. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Bub
    You can successfully use a cast bullet in a .243, but a 30 cal is much easier to start off with as others have said. A good gas check is going to be required, and you might be able to get a little more velocity out of your bullet without leading or loosing accuracy if you powder coat them.

Boolit Buddy

I don't see why you couldn't shoot GC Cast boolits in it.
    Just keep velocities down. Trailboss powder is your friend.

CPL Lou

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The .308 is probably the most forgiving and one of the most versatile cartriges to reload for. If recoil is a concern, Hogdon published youth loads and that's what I used when my youngest son started deer hunting, 37 grains of H4895 and a 125 grain jacketed bullet. Worked like a champ and recoil is less than a .243 factory load, killed deer quite dead.

For cast, there is none better. I'm personally a big .30-06 fan for a lot of the same reasons, but the .308 is probably the best overall from a versatility and ease of loading perspective.
    Count me in as another vote for the .308 or .30-06. And while I love .308s, the '06 has a longer neck which can be an advantage. Can't go wrong with either though.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    My wife has a Mossberg ATR in 243. It absolutely loves cast boolits. I am using an old Loverin style Lyman mold that casts 87 gr RNGC boolits. Using 11.5 gr of Unique it is well under MOA with those boolits. The MV is about 1900 fps so it is wonderful on small game under 50# out to 200 yards. That mold is no longer made but outfits like NOE (I think) make fine 6 mm molds. The boolits I use are sized to 244. Over the years I used my own 6mm to fill the freezer several times with 100 gr jacketed and my rule of thumb for the max range I would shoot has always been where the terminal velocity was 1900 fps. I would adjust my muzzle velocity accordingly using ballistic tables. Worthy of note in my experience, when I loaded those 100 gr jacketed "hot", they destroyed a lot of fine meat so I learned to slow them down a bit for the conditions where I was hunting.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 06-23-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Oh come on guys! The aught-six and .308 are fine but what about the venerable .30-30? It is extremely accurate in single shots and has been one of the leading cast bullet rounds since it was first made!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Oh come on guys! The aught-six and .308 are fine but what about the venerable .30-30? It is extremely accurate in single shots and has been one of the leading cast bullet rounds since it was first made!
    I couldn't agree more, and was thinking of suggesting it, but thought the OP was wanting a bolt -action, and there's not a whole lot of bolt-action .30-30s on the market, and no new ones that I know of, so that kinda limits the options. Now if the OP is willing to consider a lever-gun, well, everyone NEEDS a .30-30.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Ok, got to say I love my 243 Remington 700V - but for cast, larger is better
    While the 30-30, 308, 30-06 has a lot going for it
    - I'm going to break from the herd and say look
    for a used 358 WCF or 35 Whelen or 35 Remington or nice lever action 357 magnum
    (depending upon state game laws)
    - you already cast 9mm/35 so your molds will be useful for plinking loads.

Do a test - look out in your local hunting terrain
    - mark where you are standing and then walk to the farthest distance
    you think you will shoot at a game animal
    - pound in a 1x2 stake with a 10" paper plate stapled on it.
    Then go back to your original position
    - Imagine it's game season and you have to place EVERY shot inside the paper plate
    - it's only fair to the game animal
    - most people in the field unsupported find they can't shoot over 200 yards
    and connect with the plate every time.

You don't need a 1,000 yard gun to hunt with, Lighter is better, short and handy
    in most woods situations - I used to hunt in Oregon - we had two situations
    one was close dense forest shots - the other was clear cuts - large bare areas
    with tree stumps where you would get the long range shots - I had two rifles
    one a bolt action in flatter shooting cartridge (308, 300 win mag, 375 Weatherby Elk stick)
    and the snap shooting was done with larger bore cast boolits (358 wcf, 375 big bore, 45-70)
    But either of those situations I always made sure I could hit a paper plate before I took
    after game animals.
    Last edited by Artful; 06-22-2016 at 10:44 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    For best cast boolits results go .30 br., .308, or 30-06, or 30/30 in a single shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    30-30 Single shot as suggested by MT Chambers.
    This caliber along with cast bullets just fit together like a hand in a glove :

I had 4 rounds in a ragged hole ( see target below ) and then I shot that crazy 5th round. I don't guess you've ever done anything like that have you ?

Boolit Master
    Dang, yall are tempting me to go pick up that marlin 30-30 across the street.